+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: ND sightings

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

Default ND sightings

So today I run home from the shop to pick up some paperwork (maybe 20m / 10 mi round trip) and what do I see - two ND miatas at different points on the route. These were the first ND's I'd seen outside of a magazine or web page. Odd to see two examples within 5 minutes of each other. Both were 'cranberry red', not sure what the official name is. I was on the fence with the styling after seeing pictures but seeing the car in person sealed the deal for me. Maybe the styling will grow on me over time. Who can say. The looks are distinctive I'll give them that. You won't mistake this Miata for anything else.
    Last edited by markn; 07-21-2015 at 05:20 PM.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    2241 times

It's called soul red.

Like you, I wasn't all that jazzed about it the first time I saw it, which turned out to be a spy photo Red_5 posted here on TrackHQ. It grew on me after that and then I saw it in person. Wow, it's beautiful. There are some lines on the hood you don't see in photos. Not that they make the car, but the car is more imposing in person.

Liked
    742 times

Well, you could be the first to make a privateer race car from one.

First 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Already Wrecked • AutoTalk
    bawareca and SDSUsnowboards like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Oh, wow.

I almost caused an accident when I saw my first ND Miata. It was on a truck heading to a dealership, and I recognized the front profile in the corner of my eye as I passed the truck.

I was leading a train of cars, but wasn't thinking about that. I stabbed the brake the match speed with the truck. The driver of the car following too closely behind me probably made a brown stain in his seat. I still chuckle thinking about it. I hope he gets bent.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1477 times

You didn't think to take a smart phone pic?

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    So today I run home from the shop to pick up some paperwork (maybe 20m / 10 mi round trip) and what do I see - two ND miatas at different points on the route. These were the first ND's I'd seen outside of a magazine or web page. Odd to see two examples within 5 minutes of each other. Both were 'cranberry red', not sure what the official name is. I was on the fence with the styling after seeing pictures but seeing the car in person sealed the deal for me. Maybe the styling will grow on me over time. Who can say. The looks are distinctive I'll give them that. You won't mistake this Miata for anything else.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

I took a few. I didn't think them worthy of the time to upload them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    You didn't think to take a smart phone pic?
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    2241 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post

The sad part is all her hairdressing supplies and equipment were in the trunk, and could not be retrieved due to crash damage.

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post

Liked
    704 times

I was driving up the PCH through Malibu and there was a Mazda sign pointing to the Leo Carrillo beach parking lot. I was hoping to see some NDs driving around but no luck. I had a sick kid in the car so I didn't stop.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    543 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Actually, Mazda stepped in and is replacing the car for them so they don't have to deal at all with the insurance. Pretty frickin' awesome.

-Ryan
    Last edited by thepass; 07-22-2015 at 06:55 PM.
    Red_5, bawareca and Loose Caboose like this.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    704 times

The story about the totaled ND went viral. Mazda will get some very cheap advertising out of giving them a new car. Everyone's happy.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    543 times

Now Mazda will be bracing themselves for the torrent of requests that will inevitably follow for replacements of wrecked cars. No good deed goes unpunished.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    1486 times

Maybe all the chassis will be put factory straight and the salvage title chassis will be sold off to ND racers stripped out of all the junk you don't need. What a great way to get NDs into the hands of racers fast and cheap.

Liked
    143 times

Riverside Mazda posted in another forum that they have an ND available for test drives.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    51 times

Saw one today at Cars and Coffee in Carlsbad. Looks pretty nice.

Liked
    543 times

After driving this car my first impressions and the way I describe it to everyone is to imagine that Mazda went back and built an NA with 2016 tech, styling, quality, etc. Very much back to their roots, except way more torque in the mid-range than any previous generation - Feels like our NCs with the 2.5 swaps. The car doesn't feel large in any way and tossing it into a corner in totally stock form feels just like my NB (also all stock) - considerably soft so you have to take care with turn-in and be patient while it loads up the outer tires and then keep inputs very light - but very nicely balanced with just a small input from your feet making precisely the change you expected. It's the kind of car that puts a smile on your face without even breaking the speed limit, just like the Miatas of yore. If you didn't know it had electonic steering, you'd never know. And the transmission - the best of any generation.

We've already had ours taken apart a good bit, lots of measuring, notes, drawings for new parts, etc. and we got our hands on a factory LSD and swapped that into the car on Friday, likely the only LE in the country with limited slip right now. Note that diff swap requires dropping the rear subframe. Brian (the boss) has the car out at the autocross this weekend and reports are very promising - despite the overall softness of the standard setup and tires, the car was already within striking distance of most of the field of Stock Class and STR Class Miatas out at the event.

I'll be autocrossing it next weekend which I'm looking very forward to, and that will give focus to which areas of the car get attention first and dictate our priorities for product development to increase speed and fun.

ndlift.jpg

ndautox.jpg

-Ryan
    Last edited by thepass; 07-26-2015 at 12:40 PM.
    Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    543 times

Sharing my project for the past week - I've been focused on the brakes of the new ND. The factory provides a $3400 option with Brembo calipers (still on standard rotors) and lighter BBS wheels.

My directives were to design an alternative with: Lower price tag, lighter weight, better pad selection, 2-piece rotor options, modularity, better wheel clearance, and lower replacement costs.

Just finished up the following today: Now have 4 and 6 piston caliper conversions done that fit with factory rotors and wheels, 2-piece lightweight front and rear rotor replacements in factory sizes, and while I was at it I also did a true BBK with almost 2" larger 2-piece motorsport rotor (curved vanes, more mass, etc.) and options for 4 or 6 piston caliper which also fits under the factory wheel.

All configurations are lighter than the factory brakes, even the BBK. The lightest-weight "autox racer" combo with 4 piston caliper and 2-piece rotor saves 8 lbs per corner in the front, compared to the factory Brembo option which saves 1.5 lbs.

Brian has been hard at work finding some early lightweight wheel options, and looking forward to Emilio's 6ULs for this car. We've fit 16x8 Enkei RPF1s with RE71Rs to race on this weekend, and just got in first samples of a 14.05 lb 17" wheel.

Ryan Passey

#13 1990 Miata

Liked
    704 times

The Goodwin LE sounds like the Miata I would want - high trim level with LSD, upgraded suspension and brakes. As much as I like the Club I think it's worst value of the three trim levels.

Liked
    2282 times

$295 nitrogen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR