• 1 Post By bellwilliam
  • 1 Post By emilio700
  • 2 Post By Blackbird
  • 1 Post By eflove

Thread: ND Miatas

Liked
    1720 times

Default ND Miatas

The ND miata has been around for a while now. The ND still seems to be the most bang for the buck but curious I still don't see many on track. What is the verdict on the ND? Is it a great trackcar like previous miatas or did mazda fall short? What is the opinion of the RF as a track car? The ND global cup racer is still the cheapest factory racecar. I'm thinking I should be seeing ND's everywhere but I'm just not seeing them. Comments?

Liked
    90 times

The ND Global Cup car seems to be catching on with members out at Spring Mountain. Many NA/NB advocates have "upgraded" to the ND Cup car. I think one of the main challenges for the new cup car - as good as it is, is that the current series only has 1 West Coast track on their schedule. The second challenge is that the series has kind of a "bang 'em up" reputation. What started as attractive low-cost racing turns out not to be.

I suggested to Spring Mountain management to consider creating/hosting a West-Coast series and to allow non-members to participate but the suggestion fell on deaf ears. I think a venue like this could be a good "farm system" to let racers start, hone their skills and for those that were capable (and with right funding) could step up to the Cup series. But, what do I know?

Liked
    765 times

I'm no expert on the ND but I'll still tell you my thoughts. NDs are still on the expensive side for typical Miata people to track so that's why most haven't upgraded. The stock transmission has been a weak point too but has been upgraded in the GCC cars. I'd skip the RF for track because you'd just be paying extra for added difficulty installing a cage. There's no way you're getting a roll bar in there and keep the roof operational. If you don't buy a GCC, get a soft top car and buy the hardtop from Mazda Motorsports.
    JulioG likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2528 times

1. earlier ND had transmission issue... kaboom if taken to track.
    2. they still run $20k + used. There are a ton of other choices.
    3. there isn't a "good" way to mount a roll bar if you want to keep the soft top (most still want to). I am not sure about the RF option, but it doesn't look easier.

lately on HPDE day, it is definitely a resurgence of Muscle cars, Camaros, Vette and Mustangs. I see less of S2000, less of Subara, less of Evo, less of Lotus Elise, less of Honda. Still a ton of BMW, 86 and Miata

imo, everything not track capable (or difficult to mod to be track capable) eventually get weeded out.....like Subaru that keeps going bang, sooner or later, they run out of money.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 01-25-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    Olitho likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    64 times

Has the transmission issue been addressed? Do the revised trannies last on track? I wonder if the transmission are doing fine when paired to the 1.5L engine offered in Europe and Japan? (less torque)

Do the GCC cars use an oil cooler? Can it be purchased and bolted on to production cars?

I've driven the ND and I like it a lot, but I also feel that at almost $30K out the door, other cars (new and used) are better value.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2589 times

William's notes pretty much cover it. Glass transmission, still relatively expensive, no easy roll bar solution. NC makes a more affordable track car. I'd look at an S550 Mustang GT with PP or a Camaro SS V6 1LE. The V6 SS 1LE is a great track car and not expensive.
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    3. there isn't a "good" way to mount a roll bar if you want to keep the soft top (most still want to).
    I disagree.
    Our ND RZ roll bar is SCCA legal and that is the yardstick when it comes to defining what's "good" or "bad". That puts us on the "good" side.
    What you might be referring to isn't the mounting mechanism of the bar (which I assure you is more secured than any NA / NB roll bar), it's the visible dimensions of the bar.
    The ND chassis is built in such way that the space for a roll bar is extremely limited when you keep the soft top, and so the hoop is a bit narrower than what you're used to seeing, but if you look at the clearances from upclose you'll realize that the bar uses ALL the space available.
    The bar is also taller than NA / NB roll bars but most of it is hidden by plastics so you don't really see that.

If there was something to be "fixed" in the car for better driver fitment / clearance, it's the factory seats that are a mile high, and I am working on a product that will fix exactly that problem.
    There's a huge thread on miata.net that you're welcome to check out and get updates on our development as they come in.

EDIT to add -
    While I have yet to take apart the RF version to see the clearance for a proper roll bar, I would highly recommend picking up the soft top over the RF if you're going to take the car to the track.
    Last edited by Blackbird; 01-25-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    bellwilliam and ucfbrett like this.

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    I'd look at an S550 Mustang GT with PP or a Camaro SS V6 1LE. The V6 SS 1LE is a great track car and not expensive.
    I'm surprised the ND being on version 4 has a weak tranny. It seems so low tech and a total miss on Mazda's part after they spent a decade building the brand on racers and trackday drivers.
    How will Mazda redeem itself?

I looked at the mustangGT too for my next racecar but the brick was too tall to fit in the transporter. I was unwilling to load it on flat tires then reinflate etc etc and then forget to deflate to unload it and crack the back window etc etc.

I'm surprised at your choice of V6 SS1LE. I would think the V8 is the way to go on that car. It is already a pig and the V6 does not make it much lighter and the cost delta is maybe a set of tires or so?

Liked
    765 times

The ND transmission is a completely new design and as far I know is the first generation to have a particularly weak transmission. I guess they tried to save too much weight. The diff also only holds a 1/2 quart of oil so a diff cooler is a good idea.

As Emilio mentioned the NC Miatas are coming down in price and seem to be seeing more development of the chassis. It was/is the red headed step child of the Miata family but I kinda like them myself.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

The NC is also the easiest generation of Miatas for larger guys to fit into, not a bad thing seeing that many struggle to fit in the NA / NB / ND.

Liked
    53 times

The trans being weak would keep me away from them. I love everything about my NC. You might think well duh it's high power, light weight race car but the platform was excelent when we raced it in grand-am/IMSA with 200hp and more weight too. Just stay away from the 5 speed.
    JulioG likes this.

+ Reply to Thread