+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NCM Motorsports Park SCCA Track Night

Liked
    226 times

Default NCM Motorsports Park SCCA Track Night

I got to drive my brother's Porsche Cayman S last week at the new track in Bowling Green KY across from the National Corvette Museum.

SCCA is apparently doing some track nights during the week at various tracks to introduce people to the sport. The event ran from 3 PM to 7:30 PM. 3 groups (beginner, intermediate, advanced), basic track day rules. Each group got three 20 minute sessions on the 2 mile, 14 turn west loop. They also threw in some parade lap sessions. Price was $150 per entry. My brother (pretty new to all this stuff) thought that was a really good deal. I thought it was a bit pricey for an hour of track time, but I have heard that east coast track rates are higher than out here in California.

The track was interesting, with a couple of pretty tricky corners, and one that was best treated with a good dose of caution. The back straight section was almost like a mini back straight & turn 8 at big Willow. Construction in progress on garages and a structure to provide meeting rooms, cafe, viewing deck, etc. Looks like it will be a nice facility.

Interesting though driving on a track that doesn't have all those wide open dirt spaces to run off. I hear grass is nice and slick!
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    2243 times

How was the on-track behavior overall?

Liked
    226 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    How was the on-track behavior overall?
    I was in the advanced group with only 4 other cars. They all knew what they were doing. My brother was in the beginner group with 19 cars. Some pretty fast, some real slow. They all behaved, with only a couple of offs that I saw. The beginners would meet after each session.

It didn't look like any instruction or teaching, although they did a lead-follow session initially. However, they did not attempt to rotate the line of cars. The poor guys at the end of the group were a half lap back, so it was pretty meaningless for at least half the group.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    744 times

SCCA did this at AMP last month. It was a $150, so the value wasn't there for me considering the start was in the afternoon. From my understanding, a good friend of mine who did go said the overwhelming majority of cars were mis-classed, with a lot of them being novices who were over estimating their skill level. My friend placed himself in intermediate, but was put in advanced later where he was clearly a handful of drivers who had the right amount of experience to do so.

No one died, no was hurt.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread