+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: National HPDE Instructor Certfication

Liked
    72 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    That is an interesting statement. What is the definition of doing everything we can to keep people safe from getting injured on track. If we start developing a process to do "everything we can" to keep people safe on track, that project would lead to the logical conclusion of never letting them on the track in the first place to do everything we can to keep them safe.

Some form of risk has to be deemed acceptable.
    That's why I prefaced the statement with "We can't make these things 100% safe."

As for not letting them on track, one or two healthy lawsuits against organizers or track owners hosting HPDE events could easily make that happen for us if we don't don't take steps to make sure the events are conducted in a manner that does everything it can to limit incidents.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    1377 times

Quote Originally Posted by KJSCV View Post
    Here is my problem with the current HPDE system as run by most smaller organizations... instruction is generally done only to a certain level, it's not a full program.
    Yes that option exists. It is called Jim Russell, Bob Bondurant, Fastlane driving school etc… Trackday organizers are already making sure the newbie driver is safe as evidenced by the extremely low incidence of death and injury. There is no reason a driver can’t learn on his own or hire the best in the business.

There should be classroom time followed by ride along then corner observation and debriefings at minimum. This should be a full weekend event of instruction for the beginning driver.
    Where does it end? You seem to know what is good for us. So is gun control and helmet laws.

Fact is we live in a litigious/regulated society and sooner or later something is going to trigger big brother in some shape or form into sticking his nose in our business.
    Yes and nothing gets the lawyers and insurance companies deeper in your pocket than easy data mining and ”industry standards” to hold everyone accountable. National certification will realize your fears much quicker.

Liked
    1377 times

"We can't make these things 100% safe."

Oh Yes we can! We can all meet at Watkins Glen and play chess.

Liked
    1406 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Yes and nothing gets the lawyers and insurance companies deeper in your pocket than easy data mining and ”industry standards” to hold everyone accountable. National certification will realize your fears much quicker.
    Agreed. Should encourage our local orgs to tell this guy to take a hike.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1828 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    ^ This, x1000.
    The whole concept paves the way for big brother to have a saying where they shouldn't stick their nose in.

Liked
    2057 times

...if we don't don't take steps to make sure the events are conducted in a manner that does everything it can to limit incidents.
    I do a lot of commercial contracts. I always strike phrases like "best effort" for "reasonable effort" and "Best practices" for "Industry acceptable practices".

I suggest you stop using the word "does everything it can" and replace it with something less absolute like "reasonable effort." For me, not doing so, throws me off of the point you are trying to make.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2153 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    There are great drivers that suck at teaching. As well as great teachers that suck at driving. Plus there is regional, weather and track differences.
    good point there. regional difference is big. there is a big difference how I would approach it if I were at VIR vs BRP. at VIR, I would go 70% pace first lap, at BRP, I would go 98% first lap. I see 1 standard across the country sucks.

whether one agree with gun control or not, it makes no sense to have 1 gun law that covers both San Francisco and middle of nowhere, Alaska.
    Olitho, robburgoon and Blackbird like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR

Liked
    72 times

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB View Post

Bowing out on this thread.
    Right behind ya..lol

+ Reply to Thread