• 4 Post By markn
  • 2 Post By Force McCocken
  • 1 Post By markn

Thread: NASCAR - Frustrating

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

Default NASCAR - Frustrating

With as good a show as the road course NASCAR races are why do they insist on the majority of the races being run on ovals? I don't get it. The drivers and teams obviously know how to get it done nowdays. It is not like the old days when top NASCAR drivers were fish out of water on the road courses. The Watkins Glen race today was fantastic aside from the major carnage and the resulting red flags/delays. Infineon rarely disappoints. I see the value in maintaining the NASCAR circle track heritage to a degree but why not add more road courses to the calendar? A wasted opportunity in my view but I profess to being a Austrailian V8 SuperCar fan. No ovals there.

Mark
    Olitho, Steve35, ELO168 and 1 others like this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    2243 times

Heritage. 'merica.

Liked
    744 times

There has been talk for as long as I can recall about NASCAR adding more road courses, but they thrive on fan attendance, don't they? It is a paradox, I suppose. The average race attendee wants to view the majority of the race from one vantage point, which is something road courses don't really offer. It is really odd, but there is (was?) a Disney sort of effect going on. Families plan vacations to coincide with a NASCAR event. Living in Charlotte 8-10 years ago, the All-Star week is utterly mind-blowing to the extent fans spend on caravans, travelling, souvenirs, etc. I_had_no_idea. Could NASCAR get a similar turnout at a track like VIR, Road Atlanta, or even Barber? I doubt it, and RA is REALLY easy to move about to view the action because of the elevations and viewing stations. I don't know if those tracks could handle the onslaught of people who would attend en mass. Those 2-4 lane highways between I-40, I-85 and I-73 and Danville, VA would be a clogged cluster of humanity trying to get to VIR, I envision.

I sort of get the feeling if V8 Supercars played more here, it would dilute NASCAR's brand. However, Penske and Childress racing have announced interest in joining Supercars in the past 6-8 weeks.

It's ironic, if you think about it. NASCAR developed from moonshiners outrunning the authorities. I have been on some of the "moonshine roads". There is hardly a straightaway longer than a 1/4 mile on most. In fact, some are more fun than the roads I drove in the canyons of SOCAL, and better maintained.
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 08-10-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    bawareca and Gian like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

Force,

You make way too much sense. Stop it. I am still frustrated. Maybe with Childress and others making the foray into V8 Supercars maybe some of that influence will make its way stateside.

Mark
    Force McCocken likes this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    744 times

I love V8 Supercars, really.

I know a lot of professionals within the NASCAR community and it is an outrageously impressive amount of highly skilled, very smart people working for that series or it's teams. I always get a sense that some wish the series would aspire to greater things, but it is a better product than it was 10 years ago.

I, for one, would love to see NASCAR do the Grand Course at VIR. RA would be hellacious, but very entertaining.

EDIT: This actual had me thinking this morning over coffee...I think it would be pretty killer to see NASCAR do a street circuit. This is the reasoning, at least here in the South; the larger cities here have pretty efficient beltways that encircle the downtown areas. These connect off major interstates. These cities are quite vibrant in their downtown areas (except Atlanta...no one goes to downtown ATL on purpose). It would be a really fascinating event, a more 'family' atmosphere, and would allow a really large tourist economy injection directly into the cities. Richmond, Raleigh (where I live, would be a huge hit, IMO...museums, restaurants, breweries, etc), even Charlotte or Birmingham. All are modern, very pedestrian-friendly areas with historical and cultural landmarks. Charlotte has a an extraordinary downtown area.

I remember the Detroit Grand Prix street circuit for F1 as a kid and how much fun that was. Even the TransAm race Grand Rapids, MI used to host as a street circuit there was very cool. Of course, Long Beach has long held theirs. I think it could be great!
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 08-11-2014 at 06:17 AM.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread