+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: NASA Elan NP01 thread

Liked
    693 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    No, but double the power ratings +.
    Emilio is only talking about 30% more or so, might not be as bad.
    The way i see it, the 'static" load wouldnt be a problem. Being "no-lift upshift, no-clutch downshift" the stress on the components goes square or even more with increasing the power. Like all things in life, being gentle on the tranny by lifting on upshifts and rev-matching on downshifts, may prolong it's life even with increased power.

Liked
    2356 times

Liked
    1493 times

Looks like 16 cars sold, 7 so far likely to race in cali. Looks like you'll have people to race against.

What would you guys say are the alternatives/competition for a car like this?

Not saying these are in the same league, just flipping through somewhat popular/interesting cars:

formula V $5k used $15k new, 800lbs + driver, leafblower (50hp?) & swing axle, no tires no wings

thunder roadster $5-10k used, $15k new,, 120hp 1300lbs + driver, sequential, no wings, bad drag, low build quality?, unreliable reputation, horrible locked axle handling in legal trim

spec racer ford $15k used, $30k new 1500lbs + driver 125hp, ok aero? no wings

formula Fit $20k-30k used 900lbs + driver 130hp no wings

Diasio R $40k used 1300lbs + driver 240hp sequential closed cockpit rotary

Diasio $18k used 1400lbs + driver 165hp sequential closed cockpit rotary
    FE/ESR 30k used, 60k??(guess) new 1050lbs 180hp sequential

NP01 no used, $65k new, 1450lbs + driver 185hp, wings/downforce, spec class, likely built well, unknown reliability, sequential, closed cockpit

formula mazda $15k old+used - $100k new-ish, 1150lbs + driver, 180hp-250hp depending on which rotary. wings and downforce, sequential on newer

radical sr3 $30-100k used? $100k new?1100lbs + driver, 200hp, unreliable reputation

Leaving off most of the cars we know and love. Adding a corvette & supermiata just to help calibrate things:

c5 z06 $20k-$30k used, $45k "new build", 3000lbs + driver, 400hp, clunky 6 speed, huge tires, huge tire diet, closed cockpit, engines have acceptable life.

supermiata $10k used $15k "new build", 2300lbs 140hp, amazing transmission, easy on brakes & tires, closed cockpit, slight aero, engines have long life

Anyone have lines I missed? No other sports cars please unless they are similar to the NP01 somehow.
    Last edited by robburgoon; 11-14-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Liked
    26 times

Diasio D962Rturn-5.jpg
    http://touringcarclub.net/

Liked
    1493 times

Cost? specs?

Liked
    2356 times

We did a feature on a Diasio in Speed News here:
    Speed News Vol. 2 Issue 7 August - I

Specs:
    http://www.diasio.com/D962R_specs.pdf

I couldn't find an MSRP, but there are used ones on the market. Rotary powered, mostly.

Liked
    26 times

The none R one is around $15-20k like my old one.
    Yamaha 1000R engine putting out 165hp, weight around 1400 lbs
    R spec is around $30-50k used with Rotary engine.
    D I A S I O | Car Company
    http://touringcarclub.net/

Liked
    1493 times

Dacia Sandero added to list. Any more?
    SteveLevin likes this.

Liked
    1493 times

From where the cheapskate sits, the formula fit is lookin pretty good. Something like 17 seconds a lap faster than SM on a BW config. FV and TR aren't much faster than SM, although on tighter tracks the TR starts doing better. The old FM looks like a great option too if you can find one as cheap as Richard's, I think I saw data where one was 3 seconds faster than FF.

Major downsides are having to interact with SCCA/cal club, not being able to do track days, only sometimes the race field shows up, and unsafe.

Liked
    2356 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    ... and unsafe.
    That was part of the reasoning for the NP01's design and construction. Closed cockpit, closed wheels, side pods with side-impact protection, force-attenuating nose box, full roll cage structure integrated into the chassis.

Liked
    609 times

Somewhat forward looking (but not all that forward) is Formula 4, which is about $52,000 with engine. In 2016 the only pro series in the US is on the west coast, but I expect that to change pretty quickly -- the entire spec seems to be (for once) getting adopted globally very quickly.

160 horse, a little bit of wings, paddle shift -- it effectively is a modernization of FC/F2000, and in the near term while you might not be racing 'directly' with FC cars, you'd be pretty comparable speed wise.

The real issue with formula cars is that, IMHO, they took far too long to move to a reasonable engine spec and participation numbers just died. Formula F with the Honda Fit engine is a perfect example of something that should have happened 15 years ago. Instead, they waited until the class was virtually dead.

I wouldn't recommend FV to anyone at this point -- even in SFR, there were regionals this year that had zero entries, which was a sad first.

(gets off soapbox)

Steve

Liked
    1493 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    I wouldn't recommend FV to anyone at this point -- even in SFR, there were regionals this year that had zero entries, which was a sad first.

(gets off soapbox)

Steve
    The resale pricing reflects that. Although with the price that low, it starts to get tempting to buy one just for ****s and giggles at track test days.

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    The real issue with formula cars is that, IMHO, they took far too long to move to a reasonable engine spec and participation numbers just died. Formula F with the Honda Fit engine is a perfect example of something that should have happened 15 years ago. Instead, they waited until the class was virtually dead.

(gets off soapbox)

Steve
    I think in club racing the issues go deeper than that for open and closed cars. There are simply too many classes. We have 27 classes for Runoffs 1 of which did not even have 10 entrys from the entire country to have a national championship race! We need to pair down to like 8 total classes, 4 open & 4 closed. Racing is about competition with yourself and others at the same time. It is advanced tracktime. It is really lame when small fields result in a "time trial" for racers. That kills interest. We could pair down classes over say a 5+ year period so everyone could get on board with future changes. Telegraphing moves early will make transitions easier on those who's cars and classes will change the most or become obsolete. At the club level power to weight classes make the most sence. Then if you want a stock car you can do it. You want to modify a miata so now it is jet powered fine there is a class for that.
    SteveLevin likes this.

Liked
    1493 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    At the club level power to weight classes make the most sence. Then if you want a stock car you can do it. You want to modify a miata so now it is jet powered fine there is a class for that.
    People are free to build and race whatever. Bad classes should die out naturally on their own eventually.

The class fragmentation is either caused by people buying cars for empty classes and/or shrinking number of racers. Also innovation. New classes can be a good thing to push bad ones (FV) out.

Liked
    66 times

Bringing this thread back to life.

I received my NP01 last month. It's even more of what I hoped it would be. I can say after my first test day, this is in no way a car for a novice (My 2nd ever 15min session in the NP01 on CW13, I was doing 1:52's- 53's right out of the box without any suspension tuning, and feeling like I had no F'n clue what I was doing in the NP01) I have been racing for almost 20 years, and I'm feeling like I'm drinking water from a firehose. The best part, I love it, and I love the challenge of such a different and cool car.

The best way to describe this car is: Porsche CupCar speed, Miata maintenance. I ran all day on ~$40 of 91 octane..... Tires are $880 a set, motor should last 3+ seasons and when it is time to rebuild and seal it at Elan ~$5000. Transmission should last that long before a refresh also since we are not putting goobs of HP or TQ through it.

If you can afford it, go get one. It is the best bang for your buck in the racing world. 25 cars have been sold so far, California/Nevada have around 12+ cars. The first point race is in 2 weeks at Buttonwillow. We should have 6-7 there (other guys are building or have prior commitments)

Last edited by Plavan; 04-02-2016 at 09:02 AM.
    robburgoon, bawareca, Gian and 1 others like this.

Liked
    1493 times

Do you have a high res version of that last pic?

Liked
    2356 times

The car looks great. I really like the graphics. Did you build it or buy it built from Elan?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2585 times

I sat in my brother in laws car when he tested it at ACS about a month ago. I don't like the straight dash bar. It's close to the knees of even short drivers and I pretty much need a poured foam seat at 6-3". I don't know why they didn't do an arched dash bar.
    He's adding adjustable seat brackets in the hopes that he can get me into it for T25 and maybe the WERC 3hrs. I'd love to drive it. We'll see.

Anyway, he loved the car. Fiddled with setup a bit but it ran all day without issue on it's first shakedown day. He said it was basically neutral and easy to drive. Fast, communicative and definitely a real racecar. You have to be sharp to drive at it's limit. I'm paraphrasing a bit as I don't recall his exact words.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2356 times

The NP01 is a decidedly physical driving experience. Lots of g's, but fast and expletive-hurling fun.

Liked
    241 times

Beautiful car! They look like they would be great fun to drive

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast