+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hakeem

Thread: NASA dyno near Redondo Beach?

Liked
    1486 times

Default NASA dyno near Redondo Beach?

Does anyone know who has the NASA accepted dynojet 244 or 248 nearest to Redondo Beach?

Thanks!

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2400 times
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    981 times

I used the Thunderhill dyno this year. I want to try the 7's Only dyno next time. That way I know what my car reads at the tracks we race on.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2400 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    I used the Thunderhill dyno this year. I want to try the 7's Only dyno next time. That way I know what my car reads at the tracks we race on.
    Those two read the same. Last year, we made it a point to try several different dynojets back to back with the same car and they were always within 2whp. The dynojets read high compared to a Mustang, Dynapack or Dyno Dynamics but Dynojets all tend to match each other. No load sensor is why. You just accelerate a fixed weight drum and the software calculates rate of speed change.

Only thing we found that messes up readings is to have the wrong size tires or inflation way wrong. Dyno what you race on, even if they are cycled out rocks.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    981 times

Good to know regarding T-hill vs. 7's Only. Guess I don't have to worry about that. I agree tire sizes (diameter and weights) and inflation affect final gear ratios and inertia, but other factors affect the dyno jet readings also. Such as location of the temperature/relative humidity sensors. I've seen dyno jets vary by 10 whp from one shop to another even though they are supposedly adjusted to SAE conditions. T-hill used to have their sensors inside the shop which read completely different than outside. I think they changed that though.

I definitely will put my car on the Miller dyno since it is at higher altitude. Who knows how much the correction factor will affect your numbers up there.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

I found the TH dyno reads 5-6hp higher than the shop I use in San Jose, and I think I know why: Kevin's weather station is back inside the shed and it reads hotter than the air which is getting blown onto the front of the car. After getting a dyno sheet there I went straight back to my trailer, measured the temperature of my trailer floor with my IR thermometer and it read 10F cooler than what it said on the sheet. It was a hot day. 6 degrees Kelvin is a 2% different in air density. At 240hp, that's 5HP. Badum.

I expect this effect would go away on a cloudy day, when that shed is not getting heated by radiation.

Liked
    2165 times

Hey, FatBB, let's dyno our cars at 7's next weekend when we are racing the Pacific Coast Road Racing Championship.

All the rest of you are invited to come race with us next weekend. It is open to all race licenses from SCCA, NASA, POC, Alfa, VARA, etc.

Early registration discount is still open until Wednesday.

MotorsportReg.com : Pacific Coast Rd Racing Championshp announces Pacific Coast Road Racing Championships (Sat 27 - Sun 28 Oct, 2012) info at Buttonwillow Raceway, Buttonwillow, CA 93206 (2865)
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    977 times

Excited to hear the news guys. Gonna be alot of gold chains at NASA events next year!
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Excited to hear the news guys. Gonna be alot of gold chains at NASA events next year!
    Do we get a weight adjustment for all the gold?
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif TonyC's Avatar
    Liked
    90 times

We find a pretty large difference like what Andrew has found between 7's only and MCE.

-tony

+ Reply to Thread