08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1885 times

Eric -
    Same amount of work, better engine that makes more power, at least as many of them made, far better aftermarket support.
    Explain to me what loyalty has to do with some privateer swapping an engine in his home garage?

Liked
    2283 times

but in reality, you are getting this with sexy bodywork
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails proto5.jpg  
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    edit: ~$30k is the sweet spot. Low enough for the average club racer to swing. High enough to support basic structural, design and safety targets. The one left out is speed but as we have seen with SRF and SM, speed in and of itself does not guarantee great racing from the drivers perspective. Field size and parity does. Speed brings rich guys that can't drive.. Al parity jokes aside, SM still does a great job of guaranteeing you will have somebody on your door after the 2nd lap. That guy might have a cheater motor but he'll be racing you.
    You're right there.

The other consideration is this class can't just be "as good" as SM or SRF. If that was the case, just go race SM and SRF since the fields are already there.

For this class to take off, it needs to make a compelling case to be "better" than the other options. Right now we have slow spec-ish racing all sorted out. The niche I think they should aim for is medium speed spec racing for $35k, not medium speed racing in a sexy car for $65k. Although maybe 35K medium speed racing has been attempted already in the form of the mazda GT cars and spec boxster/Z/M3.

But hey, there are a lot of old farts with money out there. It just means that this class will be lots of entry level skill with non-entry level budgets.

Can't fault NASA for swinging for the seats, but I don't think this car is a slam dunk.

(it is a lot more interesting than a lotus exige though...)
    SteveLevin likes this.

Senior Member Sampson Racing Radios's Avatar
    Liked
    64 times

As most of you know, I am a Mazda Guy all the way to the end. BUT, after racing last weekend (NASA 25hr) in a SpecE46 BMW I was blown away. I had never driven the car and jumped in at night for 2 double stints. Supper fun to drive and the car was fantastic. Im not the fastest guy by a long shot but was able to turn lap times (all run at night) within 1 sec. of the fastest times in the E1 Field. In fact all the specE46 were within 2sec of each other after 25hrs. Big A+ for the SpecE46 BMW!

Car was fast, easy to drive and well sorted out. Keep an eye on this class, for under 30K your going 3-5sec a lap faster than a SM. Im betting the fields are going to grow.
    Last edited by Sampson Racing Radios; 12-15-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    bawareca and Blackbird like this.
    SRC Sampson Racing Communication
    4475 Dupont Crt #2
    Ventura, CA 93003
    866 396 7231
    www.sampsonracing.com

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sampson Racing Radios View Post
    As most of you know, I am a Mazda Guy all the way to the end. BUT, after racing last weekend (NASA 25hr) in a SpecE46 BMW I was blown away. I had never driven the car and jumped in at night for 2 double stints. Supper fun to drive and the car was fantastic. Im not the fastest guy by a long shot but was able to turn lap times (all run at night) within 1 sec. of the fastest times in the E1 Field. In fact all the specE46 were within 2sec of each other after 25hrs. Big A+ for the SpecE46 BMW!

Car was fast, easy to drive and will sorted out. Keep an eye on this class, for under 30K your going 3-5sec a lap faster than a SM. Im betting the fields are going to grow.
    sell out
    Olitho, Red_5, ucfbrett and 2 others like this.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Using that scale, no one should even consider running SM, yet somehow it's the most popular spec class.
    Also, 3x the price?
    Here's a good used one, 2005 with winning history, some spares, $60K -
    05 PFM for sale - ApexSpeed
    There is a huge difference in speed and price between a garden variety early Formula Mazda like the one I owned, and the later, much improved Pro Formula Mazda you are talking about. You should be able to buy a good early FM for $15,000-.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2243 times

I think the NP01 is the kind of prototype that was missing from the hierarchy of race cars. Small, light, overbuilt dedicated racer. It's like a Diasio, but better.

I also don't think the price is out of reach for a lot of people when you consider what it costs to build a Vette, Viper or Porsche, and there are plenty of those in NASA racing. I prefer not to speculate on the success of the series. I'm sure it will take time, but the car itself is desirable enough to draw people in.

Liked
    855 times

A wheelchair and a gurney?

Liked
    641 times

Car was fast, easy to drive and will sorted out. Keep an eye on this class, for under 30K your going 3-5sec a lap faster than a SM. Im betting the fields are going to grow.
    I was watching some videos of this car at the 25hrs and it was looking excellent to me.I probably didnt have much hope for this class but looks like I grossly underestimated it.Looks like a great fun and if the fields grow that may become the next great thing.
    Blackbird likes this.

Senior Member Sampson Racing Radios's Avatar
    Liked
    64 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    sell out
    LOL... No way William I will always bleed Mazda.

They have been fantastic to the weekend racers for way to many years and still are! Next step for SRC is to pick up a former MX cup car :}

That being said, If our company racing budget could, we would look at the NP1 car for sure. Love the spec idea and a proven winners with Toyo Tire and Mazda power plant.
    Last edited by Sampson Racing Radios; 12-15-2014 at 12:35 PM.
    SRC Sampson Racing Communication
    4475 Dupont Crt #2
    Ventura, CA 93003
    866 396 7231
    www.sampsonracing.com

Liked
    55 times

Cool

Looks like I returned to Track HQ at a good time. A topic I can contribute to

First off, neat looking car. I already had some guy ask me to go halfs on one. I said if he bought it whole, I would promise to drive it with him

As for the SRF3 performance. I have been doing some tire testing for the 2016 spec tire recently at BRP and the times are pretty darn quick. Using configuration #25A CW (the usual Majors config), I ran times in the low 155s in a Gen3 R&D car. I was doing 125.7 MPH entering Riverside and only had about a 2/3s lift to get through. For those that don't know, there were 13 R&D cars throughout the county starting in early 2013. The R&D car is down about 7-8 HP and it doesnt have the latest and greatest production ECU Map. For reference, the SM lap record for #25A CW is 208.XX and the T1 record is a 154.5XX. The tire used for low 155s is a quick tire, not sure it will be used but some other tires produced lap times in the 156-158 range.
    Although we haven't put a production Gen3 on the dyno, the horsepower gain is somewhere around 20 and the torque curve is massively better. It revs to 6750 and pulls the whole time. The competition weight is 110 lbs lighter that a Gen 2 SRF, 1560 with driver.

You can pick up a good used Gen2 for 15-18K and the conversion is 11K. The conversion kit has everything you need, literally everything. One of the manifold nuts is hard to tighten, the kit includes a fine tooth 12MM ratchet wrench to help get to this nut. They really thought of everything.

Cool to see SRF get some love on Track HQ

Cheers,
    Mike Miserendino

Liked
    1429 times

What's the gen 2 record on that config?

Liked
    55 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    what's the gen 2 record on that config?
    204.5xx

Liked
    258 times

I had never driven the car and jumped in at night for 2 double stints. Supper fun to drive and the car was fantastic. Im not the fastest guy by a long shot but was able to turn lap times (all run at night) within 1 sec. of the fastest times in the E1 Field. In fact all the specE46 were within 2sec of each other after 25hrs. Big A+ for the SpecE46 BMW!
    I see this as sort of a problem... a self-proclamation "slow driver", that has never been in the car, is within a second of the fastest drivers... just me?

BID
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    There is a huge difference in speed and price between a garden variety early Formula Mazda like the one I owned, and the later, much improved Pro Formula Mazda you are talking about. You should be able to buy a good early FM for $15,000-.
    The most important and perhaps interesting question that hasn't been asked in this thread yet - who deposed you from your Sheriff duties?
    Olitho, redtopz and bawareca like this.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by BRP Mike View Post
    204.5xx
    Holy balls. 20 horsepower cut over 9 seconds?!?

Liked
    2283 times

So srf3 is as fast as a T1 !! Holy ****
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    55 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Holy balls. 20 horsepower cut over 9 seconds?!?
    That was on a pretty gum ball tire though, doubt it will be the 2016 spec. 6-7 seconds is probably more accurate. If you have ever seen a map of the HP and torque curves of a Gen2 it isn't very pretty. A Gen3 on the other hand... It just doesnt make more peak power, it makes more power everywhere. It also is 110 pounds lighter which is most noticeable under braking. Brake points are equal or further in a Gen3 and you are traveling 2-5 MPH faster into the corner.
    bawareca likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast