+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My FR-s visits 949 racing

Liked
    72 times

Default My FR-s visits 949 racing

This is my first try at this blogging thing. I'm starting to get the hang of it. Maybe within a couple more posts I can start referring to myself in the 3rd person line DonDon.

Anyway, I took the FR-S to visit 949 yesterday. We took a bunch of measurements. Its a slightly dry read, but the track videos are coming. I promise. Check it out...

FEcompetition | automotive exploits
    Turn your iphone into an action camera:
    www.igloocase.com
    www.facebook.com/igloocase.com

Liked
    32 times

great read. im looking forward to the track vids

Liked
    1 times

I'm interested in fitting 15x8 or 16x8 on it as smaller wheels mean smaller, cheaper tires

Liked
    72 times

dont think 15s will fit. but 16s are a factory option in some parts of the world. While I'd like the rotating mass better. the tire selection is a little slimmer when you go to 16s though.
    www.igloocase.com

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Andrews View Post
    dont think 15s will fit. but 16s are a factory option in some parts of the world. While I'd like the rotating mass better. the tire selection is a little slimmer when you go to 16s though.
    matt: you have a typo in your blog. you mentioned 15" when you meant to say 17"
    2nd to last paragraph
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2399 times

Quote Originally Posted by Saul_Good View Post
    I'm interested in fitting 15x8 or 16x8 on it as smaller wheels mean smaller, cheaper tires
    15's wouldn't clear the brakes. The suspension is designed for the spring rate of a 17" tire. If you are willing to mess up a perfectly good car to save a few bucks on tires, I'd suggest running a 90-05 Miata instead, Cheapest consumables of any fun track car.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    70 times

The rear suspension on this car is the same as my car, the 08+ WRX's. For rear camber adjustment, Cusco and a few other companies make lower control arms for that purpose.

Cusco Rear Lateral Link Subaru Impreza Models (inc. 2008-2012 WRX/STI) at RallySportDirect.com

Or you can get some bushings made by Whiteline, but have proven to be tedious and inconsistent.

Whiteline Rear Camber Adjustment Bushings Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2012 WRX / STI) at RallySportDirect.com

And of course for toe, there are some arms for that, too.

Whiteline Rear Lateral Toe Arm Adjustable with Toe Lock Kit Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2012 STI) at RallySportDirect.com
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2399 times

Stay away from offset bushings. They don't stay in place.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Andrews View Post
    No 16s. You won't be able to find a tire you like that fits. The OEM 2nd gen. wheels I have for my 1st gen. NSX are 16 x 7 in the front, and there is no R-comp that fits except R-888 (which I hate).
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    72 times

thanks william and kevin.
    www.igloocase.com

Liked
    111 times

Great read! Very interested in the development of your car, keep us updated.
    Less powah is better

Liked
    14 times

Awesome, I'll be watching your blog closely!

Between you and Emilio and can't see how you wouldn't hit a 2:00. If the it's true that someone ran a 2:08 bone stock on stock tires then I think you guys will have no problem once you get it dialed in. Do you have plans for aero? Between you, TRA-Kyoto, and Kognition I may be forced to buy an FR-S lol.

Liked
    855 times

What fun. Just like a televison series - a great story line, doled out in well written* episodes.

* i.e., your trade in: "Itís like the smelly, ugly dog that is extremely loyal, even if you wish it would just run away."

Liked
    1 times

Very good read. I do see all the similarities to the other current Subaru platforms.

Liked
    41 times

I've been steering a co-worker towards an FR-S, as I see it as the best reasonably priced sports car in production. Definitely will follow the updates! Thanks to you Matt for taking the time to write the progress up!

Liked
    1477 times

I may be looking at buying an FR-S or BR-Z in one year from now. By then, all the newness should be shaken out, we will have lots of info and data from the early buyers about street and track performance, and the prices should be lower. I am back to driving my Evo IX MR as a daily driver now (no more old man Jaguar Vanden Plas for me), and I'm saving the Evo for my younger son, who gets his learner's permit in May 2013. Perfect time to give up the Evo and buy a new car. The wisdom of giving a 15 1/2 year old a 286 bhp awd JDM tuner-ready rally car for the street to learn to drive on is another question entirely. But then nobody has ever accused me of being conservative.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    744 times

Thanks for sharing that, Matt! I thought you were living in Texas though?
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    72 times

Richard-

I'll be curious to what resale does. There isn't a lot of mark up on the cars off the show room floor. And Scion resale is really strong. For my sake I hope it stays strong. But if they don't , then maybe I'll see more on track to play with.

Force-

I was in TX for 3 years. Moved back to SoCal 9 mos ago. the commute to buttonwillow was too far.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Blog saw over 500 unique visitors today. kinda crazy.
    www.igloocase.com

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I may be looking at buying an FR-S or BR-Z in one year from now. By then, all the newness should be shaken out, we will have lots of info and data from the early buyers about street and track performance, and the prices should be lower. I am back to driving my Evo IX MR as a daily driver now (no more old man Jaguar Vanden Plas for me), and I'm saving the Evo for my younger son, who gets his learner's permit in May 2013. Perfect time to give up the Evo and buy a new car. The wisdom of giving a 15 1/2 year old a 286 bhp awd JDM tuner-ready rally car for the street to learn to drive on is another question entirely. But then nobody has ever accused me of being conservative.
    Might want to check the insurance rates for a 16 year old with an evo. I'm guessing $5,000 per year.

Liked
    2 times

Bookmarked the blog. Glad someone like 949 is taking the time for the FR-S/BRZ. Time to make my S2000 a full blown track car and pick up an FR-S as a daily.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast