Default MX-5 Pricing - Including Club

Looks pretty authoritative:

2016 Mazda MX-5 Full Pricing Revealed

Liked
    708 times

Here's link from Mazda:

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development

Club info:

The trim level perhaps most appealing to auto crossers and track enthusiasts, the MX-5 Club has a starting MSRP of $28,600 and adds 17-inch gunmetal alloy wheels wrapped in 205/45R17 tires, front air dam and trunk-mounted rear lip spoiler, piano black seat back bars and exterior mirror caps, MAZDA CONNECTTM with a seven-inch touchscreen infotainment system and commander control knob and an AM/FM/HD/SiriusXM® satellite radio with a nine-speaker BOSE® audio system with headrest speakers – all in addition to MX-5 Sport’s standard equipment. A limited-slip rear differential, Bilstein® shocks and shock-tower brace are standard when equipped with the manual transmission.
    Additionally, MX-5 Club is available with a package for $3,400 that equips it with forged, lightweight BBS 17-inch wheels, Brembo® front brake rotors and calipers with painted front and rear calipers, functional aerodynamic side sill extensions and rear bumper skirt. - See more at: MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
    Last edited by Red_5; 04-21-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    299 times

it really looks like a Z4.

rear end look like a Jaguar F-Type
    Last edited by Pure EvoIX; 04-21-2015 at 03:36 PM.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

But, how much does it weigh?
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    53 times

The $3400 package that adds BBK, forged wheels and aero sounds like a must? So effectively $32,000 before taxes and registration.

I can see the base trim automatic doing OK... although it might get cross shopped against the new Mustang and Camaro convertibles. For the target of the 6MT models, $28K-$32K for 155Hp is a tough pill to swallow, when used FRS/BRZ/S2000/NC can be had for much cheaper.

I think the ND is a fantastic car but I'm not sure it's going to do too well. Mazda should've put a 1.5/1.6 turbo engine on it.
    Last edited by JulioG; 04-21-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Liked
    188 times

Come on now... what we really need to know is what package includes the color-matched hair dryer???!?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by JulioG View Post
    The $3400 package that adds BBK, forged wheels and aero sounds like a must? So effectively $32,000 before taxes and registration.

I can see the base trim automatic doing OK... although it might get cross shopped against the new Mustang and Camaro convertibles. For the target of the 6MT models, $28K-$32K for 155Hp is a tough pill to swallow, when used FRS/BRZ/S2000/NC can be had for much cheaper.

I think the ND is a fantastic car but I'm not sure it's going to do too well. Mazda should've put a 1.5/1.6 turbo engine on it.
    The buyer that is fascinated by the Miata doesn't much car what power it makes. , 140, 150, 170, whatever. They are sold by it's agility and driver feedback. Power is a bonus just like getting free NAV. What concerns me about the USDM ND is its 6500rpm redline. Looking at the published specs, it appears to be the engine out of the 3 with different manifolds for packaging. Not the zippy 7500 rpm Skyactiv 1.5 the rest of the world gets. The USDM 2.0 makes 77.5 hp/liter, the 1.5 gets 93.3. The 2.0 in the GT86 gets an even 100 hp/l. Low redline is fine if it makes good midrange torque. No on complains about a 6000rpm redline in a Corvette. Conversely, the 120hp/l F20C was gutless down low but fun to drive because of the manic 9000 redline. The USDM Miata has neither power nor revs. I can live with that because mine will not remain stock for more than a week. Folds who test drive one may not have that same opinion.

All that said, it does actually have nearly the same power to weight ratio of the fastest NC (2013 Club), significantly better than the fastest NB (99 Sport Package). We shall see.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    708 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    The buyer that is fascinated by the Miata doesn't much car what power it makes. , 140, 150, 170, whatever. They are sold by it's agility and driver feedback. Power is a bonus just like getting free NAV. What concerns me about the USDM ND is its 6500rpm redline. Looking at the published specs, it appears to be the engine out of the 3 with different manifolds for packaging. Not the zippy 7500 rpm Skyactiv 1.5 the rest of the world gets. The USDM 2.0 makes 77.5 hp/liter, the 1.5 gets 93.3. The 2.0 in the GT86 gets an even 100 hp/l. Low redline is fine if it makes good midrange torque. No on complains about a 6000rpm redline in a Corvette. Conversely, the 120hp/l F20C was gutless down low but fun to drive because of the manic 9000 redline. The USDM Miata has neither power nor revs. I can live with that because mine will not remain stock for more than a week. Folds who test drive one may not have that same opinion.

All that said, it does actually have nearly the same power to weight ratio of the fastest NC (2013 Club), significantly better than the fastest NB (99 Sport Package). We shall see.
    It sounds to me like Japan designed the engine and when it was ready, Mazda US said "no, that's not enough power for us!" so Japan said "fine, use the 2 liter from the 3" and that's how the Miata ended up with an econobox engine. The upside is the ND will probably get 40 mpg highway and better city mileage than the highway mileage of previous generation. The downside is that I don't think it will be as fun to drive but we'll have to wait and see. I wish the 1.5 could be an option in the US.

Liked
    2265 times

I think the Club is priced a bit too high, and some of it might be due to the 7-inch touchscreen and the nine-speaker Bose system. I think Club buyers would prefer something that is sparse on amenities and priced aggressively.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1915 times

Brent, it's all in theory.
    In reality every time Mazda tried it after enthusiasts cried loud enough, they couldn't give it away fast enough.
    Me, I'd ditch everything pretty much, the only powered items I'd want is a 1 power window and 1 power mirror - both on the passenger side just so I don't have to lean over to roll and adjust them

My biggest concern for these cars is that once again they are going to have the same Z-fold soft top that kills the option of putting a normal SCCA / NASA legal roll bar in the car.
    They made that mistake with the NC and even though the cars are now cheap enough for many track rats to afford, the necessity to ditch the soft top altogether and buy a hardtop just so you can have a good roll bar is a pill that is hard to swallow for many people.
    This makes the NC a lot less attractive for the average person as a weekend track car, and IMO the biggest reason for the much reduced popularity of the NC at the track in comparison with the NA / NB.
    The ND seems to be in the boat, and to add insult to injury, in the quest to save weight Mazda replaced the dinky-undersized-ERW steel baby hoops which are good for nothing, with dinky-undersized-Aluminum hoops to insure that they are good for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

This really hurts the appeal of the car to many guys who will gladly put a down payment on something that they can track next weekend.
    People do that all the time, take note from how many FRS / BRZ you see at the track, at roughly the same ballpark pricing.

Liked
    708 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I think the Club is priced a bit too high, and some of it might be due to the 7-inch touchscreen and the nine-speaker Bose system. I think Club buyers would prefer something that is sparse on amenities and priced aggressively.
    I agree, I think the ND Club jumped up too much on price over the NC. I would be nice if Mazda allowed the suspension package to be ordered with he base car. I think that would be the car many purists would be interested in. Of course after a year or 3 there will be aftermarket coilerovers and LSDs available for the ND so maybe the base car is still the way to go. I'm sure there will be some version 6ULs available too so it won't be bad to get the smaller stock wheels.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    It sounds to me like Japan designed the engine and when it was ready, Mazda US said "no, that's not enough power for us!" so Japan said "fine, use the 2 liter from the 3" and that's how the Miata ended up with an econobox engine. The upside is the ND will probably get 40 mpg highway and better city mileage than the highway mileage of previous generation. The downside is that I don't think it will be as fun to drive but we'll have to wait and see. I wish the 1.5 could be an option in the US.
    As I understand it, that's exactly it. Depending on what power adder options we can come up with for the ND, I might agree with you on preferring the higher revving, higher specific output and no double lighter 1.5.

Personally, I can't fathom why Mazda doesn't include a lightest, least expensive possible combination with LSD and Bilsteins. Magazines will test that one and generate favorable data. Make it a limited edition of say 2500 the first year.

Also agree with Moti on the Z fold top. Having seen one up close, it's gonna be a PITA to get an effective roll bar in there with some surgery and deleting the top. It is manual, compact and very light though so you might see some combination of roll bar and soft top working for track cars.
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    858 times

I agree, I think the ND Club jumped up too much on price over the NC. I would be nice if Mazda allowed the suspension package to be ordered with he base car. I think that would be the car many purists would be interested in. Of course after a year or 3 there will be aftermarket coilerovers and LSDs available for the ND so maybe the base car is still the way to go. I'm sure there will be some version 6ULs available too so it won't be bad to get the smaller stock wheels.
    This reminds me of the 350Z's, where the base model may have been the best option; but not everyone wants to wait and build, especially since original factory installation should cost less than after market.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 04-22-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Liked
    858 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if the 7-inch touchscreen became a full feature data screen and lap mapper.

Liked
    708 times

Has anyone seen if Mazda is offering removable hardtops or even if there's a way to mount one?

Liked
    299 times

no sub $10k miata, no care.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1915 times

Has anyone seen if Mazda is offering removable hardtops or even if there's a way to mount one?
    Mazda said they will not be making a HT for the ND.

Liked
    143 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I think they were talking about the retractable hardtop and not a removable one.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    708 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    I think they were talking about the retractable hardtop and not a removable one.
    There will be a retractable hardtop available for the second year. I'm still holding out hope they'll make a coupe.

Liked
    708 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    That's an incredibly dumb idea unless they have another plan in mind for track day drivers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast