• 1 Post By ucfbrett
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 2 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By 2GRX7
  • 2 Post By slodrew
  • 1 Post By slodrew
  • 1 Post By NOT A TA
  • 1 Post By Force McCocken

Thread: Multiple Grassroots 2016 Challenges? (East AND West coasts)

Liked
    114 times

Default Multiple Grassroots 2016 Challenges? (East AND West coasts)

I was out at the event this past weekend and saw some pretty ingenious stuff out of there, but I kept thinking about the west coast and the possibilities;

1. SO many rust-free cars and people willing to GIVE them away

2. Great year-round weather

3. El Toro Airfield where it can all take place

You had one or two that traveled from the midwest, but the name of the magazine isn't, "Stinking Rich Grassroots Racing" -meaning, folks don't have money/time to build a car and then drive 2500 miles each way ( Lotsa' fun, but I wouldn't hand over half my vaca-time for this event, just sayin').

I have a few friends back west that said they'd do it if it took place closer, so with this site having a heavy west-coast membership, I wanted to know some of your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Mike
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    114 times

Anyone?

Liked
    2267 times

I think the contest is interesting, but it's not something I would do. I don't think I'm handy enough to build a car for that little amount of money. I would bet that everyone of the top finishers are mechanics and fabricators or at least have the ability to weld. I've never learned to weld.

I think the stories are interesting, but I tried crap can racing a couple of times. Meh.

Liked
    663 times

I'd probably do it if it is close here.
    2GRX7 likes this.

Liked
    1546 times

Maybe our site administrator Bartholomew will help us do a trackHQ build for 2016?
    2GRX7 and bawareca like this.

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I think the contest is interesting, but it's not something I would do. I don't think I'm handy enough to build a car for that little amount of money. I would be that everyone of the top finishers are mechanics and fabricators or at least have the ability to weld. I've never learned to weld.

I think the stories are interesting, but I tried crap can racing a couple of times. Meh.
    You'd be surprised- there was some "questionable" welding out there, while others basically took a mid 90s Lexus LS , or luxo barge and add bolt-ons to compete! Either way, people were having fun! The more I thought about it, the more I kept thinking, " it sure would be 'freeing' to sell my 10k+invested RX-7, budget 2K of it for the Challenge, pay some bills and buy a kart for my kids!!!"

Liked
    114 times

With your capabilities, I'd like to see what you'd do, bawareca!
    Last edited by 2GRX7; 10-27-2015 at 06:30 AM.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    133 times

Quote Originally Posted by 2GRX7 View Post
    3. El Toro Airfield where it can all take place
    As one of the people currently developing all of the anchorage of El Toro air field... that would be a no. In 4 months there will be little to no airfield to speak of. In 16 there will be virtually nothing left from the original military base and flat work.

That being said... I'd love to take part in this thing, I've always been intrigued.

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by ebruner View Post
    As one of the people currently developing all of the anchorage of El Toro air field... that would be a no. In 4 months there will be little to no airfield to speak of. In 16 there will be virtually nothing left from the original military base and flat work.

That being said... I'd love to take part in this thing, I've always been intrigued.
    WHAT?!!! NOOOOOOOO! Well then-I guess it's off to Fontana.

Incidentally, just looking at craigslist LA, ya'll have a $h*t-ton of luxo-barges Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, for less than 1K! Plus, your salvage yards have WAY MORE 1/2 price days than here. Food for thought.

Liked
    73 times

This thread has decommissioned crown victoria police interceptors written all over it.. the cooling systems and braking systems can hang without modifications.. the bendix fleet met pads are a good idea for the front. But other than that they are extremely hard to kill and they perform a lot better than one might think. You can cut the springs and then max out the negative camber and positive castor, then set the toe with a tape measure and that makes them turn pretty good. Having upper and lower control arms in the front eliminates any bump steer and gives you positive camber to the inside wheel when you're turning it hard.. and they're CHEAP!
    Last edited by slodrew; 10-27-2015 at 09:04 PM.
    2GRX7 and ucfbrett like this.

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    This thread has decommissioned crown victoria police interceptors written all over it.. the cooling systems and braking systems can hang without modifications.. the bendix fleet met pads are a good idea for the front. But other than that they are extremely hard to kill and they perform a lot better than one might think. You can cut the springs and then max out the negative camber and positive castor, then set the toe with a tape measure and that makes them turn pretty good. Having upper and lower control arms in the front eliminates any bump steer and gives you positive camber to the inside wheel when you're turning it hard.. and they're CHEAP!
    OOOH! I think I'm getting the juices flowing! Uh, wait- I think I'm getting the wheels to turn! There-that's better!
    Last edited by 2GRX7; 10-28-2015 at 06:11 AM. Reason: It sounded bad!

Liked
    73 times

Monterey County has 7 of them on Public Surplus Auction, auction ending in 2 hours and 15 minutes.. 3 2008's and 4 2010's currently ranging from $305 to $1075.. I'm tempted to start bidding.. do any of you know what it's like cruising one of these things around town? It's great fun! You'll never want to drive anything else! lol! People don't go slow in front of you in the fast lane, that's for sure, and people that don't want to be pulled over make themselves so obvious with their attempts at evasive maneuvering it's hysterical...Public Surplus: Surplus Auctions for Monterey County Contracts - Purchasing
    b3d3g1 likes this.

Liked
    751 times

Why have this at Fontana and not a centrally located track in the Midwest or South?
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Why have this at Fontana and not a centrally located track in the Midwest or South?
    Force, The question of having another event popped up at previous 20XX Challenge events but no one really said anything more on it. I felt that people out West just weren't willing to spend most, if not all of their vacation time to drive across the country just for this one event.

I agree that multiple events throughout the country would be best, that way participants can make it a, say, 4-day weekend instead of a week and a half!

So, to answer your question, yeah, why not have it at a location in the Mid-west! I just posed the question to people on here because it's a pretty SoCal-centric board.

Liked
    88 times

Here in FL, a VIN that matches a title and an odometer is about all it takes to get a registration. One drawback for the CA folks is once you build something like a Miata with a 60's small block Ford engine what can you do with it? Can it be registered? Or does it become an off road only vehicle?

I'm one of those guys who could easily build something that could be competitive. However, even though I'm an active GRM forum member who lives in FL and could attend the Gainsville event, the labor involved in building a challenge car with extremely limited resale possibilities could be put into something else that will have a much better return on investment. So I've never even considered entering.
    2GRX7 likes this.

Liked
    114 times

Yeah, overly harsh reg rules- CARB is horrible in SOME respects!

When I lived in L.A., I had to trailer my RX-7 to all events because it wasn't road legal there. Orlando-NO PROBLEM-just give us $350 and drive it all day long! But I wasn't the only one trailering a car.

There were a lot of folks heavily invested in their, um, "race cars" that were only using them once a month, heck, once every other month! It's nice to know you can put together 20XX Challenge car, have fun with it, then DONATE it to Goodwill for a write-off (They can crush it and make some $)! Can't do that with a real race car ( well, you can, just no where near what you put into it)!

I know you've got chumpcar, and lemons, I just don't think that there's enough $ allocated for real fun (although it's fun), and an Optima Ultimate Street Car event can get pricey to be competitive .

....AND, as Force Mc alluded to, this doesn't have to occur in just Florida, or California, it's scalable, which is great as the most of the rest of the country doesn't have these (California CARB) constraints.

OH, and coverage in a magazine is pretty nice when it comes sponsors/contingency!
    Last edited by 2GRX7; 10-29-2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: more thoughts

Liked
    751 times

There are some scary death traps registered in FL and SC. I see them cruising through Atlanta all the time. It seems, here, the latest trend to getting a purpose-built track car licensed is to register it in Montana. Not sure why.

If you want to draw in better competition, easier access is needed. If the majority of the competition comes from where the events are staged, that's poor planning and limiting your base.
    2GRX7 likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    There are some scary death traps registered in FL and SC. I see them cruising through Atlanta all the time. It seems, here, the latest trend to getting a purpose-built track car licensed is to register it in Montana. Not sure why.

If you want to draw in better competition, easier access is needed. If the majority of the competition comes from where the events are staged, that's poor planning and limiting your base.
    Yes, those are my thoughts, Force! Grassroots Motorsports have done EXACTLY that-limited their base. It would be nice to have events throughout the country, but, like I said, Track HQ is California-centric, so the question was posed/limited to LA.

+ Reply to Thread