+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: MT Love Gush over the Flat Crank, 350R Mustang

Liked
    854 times

Default MT Love Gush over the Flat Crank, 350R Mustang

"perhaps, the best all-around sports coupe there is. No, it really is, and here's why.. ."

But, really . . . what's up with the "no data logger" for the hot laps at Laguna Seca?

Oh well, whatever . . .

Read more: Ford Mustang Review - Motor Trend

Liked
    854 times

Then there's Car and Driver:

"You say you have a BMW but want something different, possibly American-made, but a Corvette isn’t your thing and a Camaro Z/28 is too brutish? Ford wants to talk to you."

And there's Voodoo vibes:

"We’ve complained about turbo engines and their lack of character. You want an engine with character? The GT350’s “Voodoo” V-8 is Brad Pitt, the Terminator, and James Bond coming at you with matching wry grins. . . This is the way performance engines used to be, not as all-or-nothing boost bombs but as measured and controlled rheostats."

Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 Reviews - Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350r-1262-876x535.jpg
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 08-31-2015 at 09:24 PM.

Liked
    51 times

I drove it on Friday, great car but not my cup of tea. It sounds really good though..

Liked
    237 times

Finally, a Mustang for Richard Evo!

C'mon, Richard, step up to the Blue Oval.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2391 times

As much as love what this car is about, not having driven one, the needle swings towards (not interested) when I see what it weighs. 3650 lbs
    It is very likely one of best handling and most track capable 3650lb cars on the planet. It will also get its butt kicked by the best handling 2650lb car on the planet with the same power to weight ratio.

Me? I would actually buy a stripped out Mustang with no back seats or carpet that made say 320whp with a cheap Ecoboost but weighed 2950 lbs. All. Day. Long
    BOWERSdaAZIAN likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by JulioG View Post
    I drove it on Friday, great car but not my cup of tea. It sounds really good though..
    How would you describe the handling/overall thoughts on the car?

Liked
    51 times

I only did 3 laps on the GT350R, it was my first time at Laguna Seca IRL, and I'm an average HPDE driver. My impressions:

- I expected to be pinned into the back seat smashing the throttle on 2nd gear but, somehow the car didn't actually feel 500HP fast to me. Very smooth power delivery with no drama, probably thanks to the massive tires and the 3750lbs curb weight with two persons in it. Mind you, I got the same feeling when driving the F8x M3. You don't realize how fast you're going until you look at the speedo.

- Power seemed to peak well before the 8200rpm redline. I don't know, last few hundred RPMs felt a bit underwhelming. But I'm used to peaky NA cars (S2000, FR-S)..

- Engine and exhaust sounded amazing, I'll give it that. It's actually not that loud inside the car... sounds better outside than inside

- I liked the Recaro seats a lot. But you're sitting so low (for a Mustang), and the hood is so high, that it's very hard to place the front tires with confidence and accuracy. Not a big problem in most corners, but going down the corkscrew was scary, not knowing how close I was to putting tires off the track. I assume more seat time in the Mustang and familiarity with Laguna Seca would alleviate this. Again, I'm used to cars with great forward visibility.

- Steering felt good. I was surprised by how small the steering wheel was. Wish steering ratio was faster (but I say this of most cars).

- Nice shifter, relatively long clutch travel with no feel for engagement point. But overall intuitive and very easy to drive. I remember heel and toeing was easy too (much better relative pedal placement than my FR-S).

- Tons of grip. 295F and 305R tires, honestly I didn't come close to exploring the lateral grip limits of the car. Neither did my instructor, who seemed to go barely 6/10ths on my ride along lap (still much faster than me!).

- Handling wise, it had the classic FR balance, very predictable and easy to drive.

- I'm not sure what the damper settings were, but the ride was extremely smooth and going over the the rumbled strips, you would get more feedback from the steering wheel than from the chassis.

- Great stopping power, although I didn't work the brakes as hard as I could have, out of respect for the instructor . But this was one area that was certainly confidence inspiring. Braking was never a worry.

- Car does looks great in person.

- Drove with TC on, it kicked in a couple times, in a rather obvious way. I remember the M3/M4 electronics being way more subtle, allowing for some small, controlled slip angle and making you feel like a hero.

Overall, a very fast, obviously track ready car. Even though I felt connected to the car, it felt physically big to me and the poor front visibility made me slow down in many places to ensure I didn't put wheels off. I personally like smaller cars. It's funny because when I drove the F8x M3, I got the opposite reaction: the car felt smaller and lighter than it really was.

For sure, the best muscle/pony car I've ever driven.
    Last edited by JulioG; 09-01-2015 at 12:46 PM.

Liked
    237 times

Nice writeup, Julio. Thanks for sharing.

I own two Mustangs, one which is a track car. Coming from a Miata/BMW e30/CRX Si background I totally understand the feeling of mass and size with these cars. It takes some time getting used to it. Maybe that's just the nature of the beast.

Liked
    854 times

Intentionally deleted.

Liked
    854 times

Cool motor aside, it is priced like the much lighter Corvette. a car that also has much better weight distribution.

Waiting for the inevitable "comparo" ....
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 09-01-2015 at 06:54 PM.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Z51s are apparently alot slower than the 350R and just as fast as the less expensive 350 Track Pack.

Liked
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Z51s are apparently alot slower than the 350R and just as fast as the less expensive 350 Track Pack.
    Yeah not a fair comparison straight out of the box. Throw some equal rubber on the Z51, delete a few creature comforts (AC, radio, sound deadening) and slap some Z07'esque aero bits on and I'd bet it keeps pace or beats a GT350R (and then again, not really a fair comparison).

Liked
    2241 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Cool motor aside, it is priced like the much lighter Corvette. a car that also has much better weight distribution.

Waiting for the inevitable "comparo" ....
    Comparo is like fingernails scraping a chalkboard for me. It's not even a word and magazine editors use it all the time. Oy.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by BOWERSdaAZIAN View Post
    Yeah not a fair comparison straight out of the box. Throw some equal rubber on the Z51, delete a few creature comforts (AC, radio, sound deadening) and slap some Z07'esque aero bits on and I'd bet it keeps pace or beats a GT350R (and then again, not really a fair comparison).
    Base/z51 corvettes have smallish tires up front. 245s on mine I think.

Liked
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Base/z51 corvettes have smallish tires up front. 245s on mine I think.
    Exactly, autocrossers have stuffed 295's on there no problem, so that alone would help tremendously on the grip side of things.

Liked
    854 times

The cars seem so different though - refined sports car legacy vs. lap happy muscle car (with voodoo V8).

Fine wine vs. really great beer?

I wonder how much cross shopping will occur. . .
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 09-02-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Comparo is like fingernails scraping a chalkboard for me. It's not even a word and magazine editors use it all the time. Oy.
    True. It is a pretty lame affectation - but at least I stuck it in quotes.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I always like to see Infotainment Comparo

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    The cars seem so different though - refined sports car legacy vs. lap happy muscle car (with voodoo V8).

Fine wine vs. really great beer?

I wonder how much cross shopping will occur. . .
    Corvette = fine wine!
    tq3z likes this.

fe4
    Liked
    29 times

Quote Originally Posted by BOWERSdaAZIAN View Post
    Exactly, autocrossers have stuffed 295's on there no problem, so that alone would help tremendously on the grip side of things.
    I've run from 255 to 315 front tires on my C5 Z06 and while the big tire thing definitely makes the car feel better and helps with tire wear I am not sure it makes the car a whole lot faster. At least for the couple laps per session I run.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast