+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: the most exciting form of racing.... lets hear it

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Winning T1 cars can be had for $30k, plus or minus $5k. And they will be one of the fastest cars on the track. Almost certainly guaranteed to win the overall in the race group. And reasonably affordable to race. The tires are the big expense, but we have a gentleman's agreement at the regionals to only run scrubs to keep the cost down. At the nationals you bring your "A" game, whatever you can afford....
    Oli, so u think ur T1 is cheaper or more expensive than top SM on yearly operating costs ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    545 times

Spec series racing can be counter-intuitive as far as cost goes. The tighter you make the spec, the more expensive it gets as people with big money spend a lot of dollars to get those last few thousandths of a second out of a car. They will buy multiple engines and dyno them all to see which one has five more HP and then sell the rest on E-bay or whereever. They will go to great lengths to buy other little do-dads for the car, oftentimes expensive do-dads, to get that extra thousandth of a second. Front running Spec Miata cars are going for about $10k to $15k more than last years SCCA Run-offs winning T1 car.
    And there's also a significant difference between "sealed" and "spec" in that while some folks can and do the "buy whole bunches" method, you can get pretty close to the top with just whatever you get. And by "close to the top" I mean top 5 at the Runoffs with a shot of winning, and winning all the regionals and nationals.

Take a look at the results for Bob Breton and John Black, for example, and neither of them are big-budget operations by any stretch.

Steve

Liked
    1 times

To watch:

Rolex has been VERY exciting this year, both DP and GT have had some amazing races! I've got a buddy that drives in GT so that adds some excitement for me, but you can't beat the recent DP finish at Daytona with Pruett making the pass on the banking. Gotta have love for Pruett since he's a local boy and all.

The most exciting race I've ever watched was the American Sedan race at the SCCA Runoffs last year. I hopped on the Michael McDermid bandwagon at the beginning of the race as someone to cheer for, and he didn't let me down, that race was insanely exciting, the intensity level just kept getting stronger and stronger until the very end. I still have it saved on my DVR.

To participate in:

24 Hours of Lemons!
    "The crashes people remember, but drivers remember the near misses" -Mario Andretti

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Oli, so u think ur T1 is cheaper or more expensive than top SM on yearly operating costs ?
    I am not sure about that. I would guess it is more expensive mainly because my tires and brakes cost more. As the car goes faster and weighs more, it will chew through more tires and brakes.

Next month at the SCCA Buttonwillow race we are running #18 CW. That puts me out of the Riverside turn at 100+ all the way down the straight to Star Mazda. We are not turning out for Lost Hill. I will be doing 160+ MPH when I hit the brake zone for a 45 MPH apex. I don't think SMs go much beyond 120 even with that long straight.

That consumes more brake pads, rotors and tires, although not all races are like that.

Liked
    34 times

Wow that Stoner / Rossi battle was awesome!! When on youtube for some more footage after seeing Ed's link.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hniyuR9wD-k[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty funny comment ("he didn't knock him down") by Kevin Schwantz regarding the battle at ~9min mark.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6tOHZhaqSI[/YOUTUBE]

There were some good racing a few years ago between Rossi and Biaggi too. I remember one of the race where Rossi gave Biaggi the finger with one hand on the handlebar passing on the inside. That was very cool.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    To watch:

Rolex has been VERY exciting this year, both DP and GT have had some amazing races! I've got a buddy that drives in GT so that adds some excitement for me, but you can't beat the recent DP finish at Daytona with Pruett making the pass on the banking. Gotta have love for Pruett since he's a local boy and all.

The most exciting race I've ever watched was the American Sedan race at the SCCA Runoffs last year. I hopped on the Michael McDermid bandwagon at the beginning of the race as someone to cheer for, and he didn't let me down, that race was insanely exciting, the intensity level just kept getting stronger and stronger until the very end. I still have it saved on my DVR.

To participate in:

24 Hours of Lemons!
    My neighbor and racing buddy, Bill Schepergerdes was in 4th place in that race when the two front runners got tangled in lapped traffic and crashed. He ended up getting second. McDermid's tires were going off as I recall Bill telling me, but he ran out of race time and your buddy won by 0.733 second.

Oli

Liked
    2282 times

That consumes more brake pads, rotors and tires, although not all races are like that.
    I used to think tire, pads and rotors are biggest expense. but after seeing top SM rebuilt engine (they are not cheap), trans annually. and try out different ECU, engine, trans and rear end to get a highest HP combo. I am not so sure tires, pads and rotors are that big of an expense now.

Oli, what is ur yearly budget ? and what is ur tires, pads, rotors budget ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

To participate in:

24 Hours of Lemons!
    oooo yea! i forgot about this lil gem!!

its just a matter of time before I do this.

n

Liked
    545 times

As far as exciting racing to watch in general, though, I have to admit that Formula 1 is it for me. While there isn't always the passing action, watching the cars themselves is just amazing. I've been fortunate enough to have a few chances to be "down in the weeds" at a few F1 events, and TV simply doesn't do justice to how fast the cars change direction, and how fast they can STOP.

Steve

Liked
    2 times

i enjoy wrc. seems nuts. imagine f1 on full nurburgring. i want to see that.

Liked
    22 times

Default Best form of racing

Probably not much agreement on a road racing forum but my opinion is the World of Outlaws is the most exciting form of racing.
    Imagine driving an 800 HP 1200 lb car with open wheels sideways on dirt inches from other competitors with a short wheel base and up to 15 inches of stagger in the tires at over 100 mph. (Stagger is the outside diameter is bigger than the inside diameter of the tires. The cars turns left when you let off the gas and turns right when you stand on it, no matter what the steering wheel is doing)

If we had 15" of stagger on our Ford Tauraus we would crash it in the drive way.

Watch Steve Kinser, 17 time national champion, he makes it look easy but he kicks butt and has for close to 30 years.

When they touch wheels they don;t just flip they cartwheel down the straight sometimes 6-10 flips before the come to a violent rest.

Sounds like a blast to me. wish I could fit into one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cgvdJutsoU
    Last edited by vetteguy2005; 08-05-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Updated link
    Corvette Specialty C6
    Life is like a race, the best times win!

Liked
    1429 times

sprints on dirt... yessss

When I was itty bitty I raced open wheel on asphalt and dirt. FUN stuff.
    Last edited by robburgoon; 08-05-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Liked
    1 times

Speaking of Sprints: http://highvistavideo.com/Videos/ASC...at%2071308.wmv

To watch:

Rolex has been VERY exciting this year, both DP and GT have had some amazing races!
    Anyone catch the race in Montreal?

I-N-S-A-N-E
    Last edited by thefrush; 08-05-2008 at 10:47 PM.
    "The crashes people remember, but drivers remember the near misses" -Mario Andretti

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by vetteguy2005 View Post
    Probably not much agreement on a road racing forum but my opinion is the World of Outlaws is the most exciting form of racing.
    racing is racing my friend.....
    driving cars n stuff....

Liked
    22 times

Default Flip and win

Speaking of Sprints: http://highvistavideo.com/Videos/ASC...at%2071308.wmv

Anyone catch the race in Montreal?

I-N-S-A-N-E
    That was better than the Nascar guy going a flip after he wins.

Even better than Danny Sullivan spinning and winning at Indy.

Wow, can you imagine flipping and still winning across the line
    Corvette Specialty C6
    Life is like a race, the best times win!

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

that flip was pretty nuts.... maybe they should invent tandem figure dirt tracking... to compete with all the fancy drifters out there
    driving cars n stuff....

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

and btw.... Im actually looking forward to the NASCAR Watkins Glen race.... those big ol honkers on the road course is fun to watch.
    driving cars n stuff....

Liked
    10 times

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lboSRZT2XxI[/YOUTUBE]

Liked
    0 times

The video's no longer available, was that Kimi Raikonen I saw in the preview picture?

Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by lttletimmy View Post
    The video's no longer available, was that Kimi Raikonen I saw in the preview picture?
    Embedding disabled by request, so click the top "youtube video" to link it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast