+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: the most exciting form of racing.... lets hear it

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

Default the most exciting form of racing.... lets hear it

ok, so lets hear it.. what is the most exciting form of motorsport today? to watch? to participate in?

personally, watching Rossi & Stoner duke it out at the Laguna race the other weekend was the most insane racing I have seen 'live' in a very long time....

im really bored with time trials & time attacks.... but cant really afford w2w... kinda sucks. Maybe I'll do spec miata once my kids get a lil bit older, I bet that is fun to partake in. I heard honda challenge is fun too....

anyone with personal experience in either series?

n

Liked
    0 times

I only got to watch that battle on youtube, but it was some of the most insane racing I have seen in awhile since the porsche/ferrari battle at the 12 hour.

To me WRC is the most exciting racing to watch, unfortunately, we don't get to watch it much here. I would love to race rally at some point in my life.

I was at that same point not too long ago, and now w2w has made the sport that much more fun for me. Spec miata is a great series, spec944 is also another series that can be done for cheap(er).
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3
    JC3D // Racecars and Keyframes // 996 Spec

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by JC3D View Post
    I only got to watch that battle on youtube, but it was some of the most insane racing I have seen in awhile since the porsche/ferrari battle at the 12 hour.

To me WRC is the most exciting racing to watch, unfortunately, we don't get to watch it much here. I would love to race rally at some point in my life.

I was at that same point not too long ago, and now w2w has made the sport that much more fun for me. Spec miata is a great series, spec944 is also another series that can be done for cheap(er).
    you talking about the Melo vs. borgmesiter battle? .... that was a good one.

WRC was awsome when it was available, they did a great job of captivating the emotion of rally in video with all the different angles, helicopters etc...

What's Traction Control? 600RR_Rocket's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by nils View Post
    ok, so lets hear it.. what is the most exciting form of motorsport today? to watch? to participate in?

personally, watching Rossi & Stoner duke it out at the Laguna race the other weekend was the most insane racing I have seen 'live' in a very long time....

im really bored with time trials & time attacks.... but cant really afford w2w... kinda sucks. Maybe I'll do spec miata once my kids get a lil bit older, I bet that is fun to partake in. I heard honda challenge is fun too....

n
    Moto GP by a mile. The Stoner vs. Rossi at Laguna Seca this year was SICK.

http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2008...ca+2008+battle

I'd really love to get into W2W racing as well...need more $$$ and a 2nd car...

Liked
    1477 times

ok, so lets hear it.. what is the most exciting form of motorsport today? to participate in?

n
    Spec Miata is great. You can't afford W2W in an Evo (almost no one but Kent Jordan can) -- Evo is an outrageously expensive car to RACE. I don't have time for a long write up about SM now, but it's great fun, and the podium finishers (not me) are great drivers. The cars are relatively cheap to race but the cost is still much more than HPDE.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    545 times

And don't forget Spec Racer Ford. The cost of the car up front may be higher than for a Miata (if you go with a middle of the road Miata), but the running costs are lower (especially if you factor in damage repair and so forth). The Spec Miata's running up at the front are more expensive than an SRF that can run up front.

But yes, w2w is a lot more fun. Getting the perfect lap is certainly a challenge, but dealing with the competition is a lot more exciting!

Steve

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Spec Miata is great. You can't afford W2W in an Evo (almost no one but Kent Jordan can) -- Evo is an outrageously expensive car to RACE. I don't have time for a long write up about SM now, but it's great fun, and the podium finishers (not me) are great drivers. The cars are relatively cheap to race but the cost is still much more than HPDE.
    its either w2w in a 'wrong wheeled car' or a 'chicky 2 seater'... argh!!

ha ha, just kiddin.... i dont really care aslong as its fun

Robi says honda challenge is the way to go, but from what I have seen spec Miata looks crazier.. which im naturally more attracted to.

Ive heard that it is very hard to be competitive in spec miata though, some dudes take it waaay seriously and pour $$ in testing & development.. true?

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by 600RR_Rocket View Post
    Moto GP by a mile. The Stoner vs. Rossi at Laguna Seca this year was SICK.

http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2008...ca+2008+battle

I'd really love to get into W2W racing as well...need more $$$ and a 2nd car...
    That was awesome. I didn't see how he lost the battle in the you tube videos I was watching. That video has all the good angles, paced better, and tons of after effects plugin abuse.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3

Liked
    1477 times

Robi says honda challenge is the way to go, but from what I have seen spec Miata looks crazier.. which im naturally more attracted to.

Ive heard that it is very hard to be competitive in spec miata though, some dudes take it waaay seriously and pour $$ in testing & development.. true?
    That's true. A mid-pack SM can easily be purchase for $8K to $10K. Front running cars may cost $25K - $30K. That's not always true, and I am new to the class so I certianly don't know everything, but that's what I hear. It's not just the cost of the car, it's trackside support, post-race service, transporation, heavier wear and tear of W2W, possible crash damage etc. etc. It all adds up fast.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    0 times

a good estimate I've learned the hard way. Take you you normally spend at the track and double it for w2w racing. Then just go ahead and double it again. That's about right.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3

Liked
    977 times

its either w2w in a 'wrong wheeled car' or a 'chicky 2 seater'... argh!!

ha ha, just kiddin.... i dont really care aslong as its fun

Definitely true. I had a pretty expensive/well built SM that was still noticeably low in the hp department. Compared to the evo though the cost is still tiny even if you were to pour the relatively serious $$ into it. SCCA has also been pretty active to their credit in improving the rules year to year - good example is making the clutch a spec item in recent years as it used to be pretty loose.

Liked
    0 times

n
    If you don't think passing in the pit is exciting enough for you in F1, watch Nascar, where drivers only know how to make left turns.

Motogp all the way! I was there when that all happened at Laguna and let me tell ya, I didn't know I have the ability to hold my breath for so long. That's what you call racing!
    -Timothy

Exige S #777

www.T1Autobahn.com

Liked
    545 times

That's true. A mid-pack SM can easily be purchase for $8K to $10K. Front running cars may cost $25K - $30K. That's not always true, and I am new to the class so I certianly don't know everything, but that's what I hear. It's not just the cost of the car, it's trackside support, post-race service, transporation, heavier wear and tear of W2W, possible crash damage etc. etc. It all adds up fast.
    Those numbers ring true with what I hear up north; people talking about needing $8,500 Huffaker engines to run at the front, etc.

Whereas I'm still south of that figure with my SRF (which had a 6 month old engine and a 1 year old gearbox, so they should be good for quite a while if I don't lunch them), even though I added the AIM MXL Pista Datalogger, got radios, and a Chasecam setup (car had a Hoytech camera in it already).

And the SRF doesn't really depreciate. I wouldn't call it an investment by any means, but if I needed to sell my car, I could get nearly all my money back on it. So that's less "cost" and more "money that's locked up."

Steve

Liked
    2165 times

Spec series racing can be counter-intuitive as far as cost goes. The tighter you make the spec, the more expensive it gets as people with big money spend a lot of dollars to get those last few thousandths of a second out of a car. They will buy multiple engines and dyno them all to see which one has five more HP and then sell the rest on E-bay or whereever. They will go to great lengths to buy other little do-dads for the car, oftentimes expensive do-dads, to get that extra thousandth of a second. Front running Spec Miata cars are going for about $10k to $15k more than last years SCCA Run-offs winning T1 car.

Liked
    2165 times

...Front running cars may cost $25K - $30K.....

I have seen the front running SMs go for something more like $40k to $50k.

Oli

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    They will buy multiple engines and dyno them all to see which one has five more HP and then sell the rest on E-bay or whereever..
    I must agree. if you read Jim Daniel's setup guide for Spec Miata:
    http://www.specmiata.com/download/sm_setup_guide_v2.pdf

quote:
    "dyno, dyno, dyno and more dyno... 3 new trannys will have 3 different RWHP #, swap them in and out and find a peach. rear-end too."

"if it spins, swap parts until u have what passes tech and makes more power. alternator to CV joints and hubs"
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I have seen the front running SMs go for something more like $40k to $50k.

Oli
    that is rediculous!

damn it.... I just really dont feel like buying a fwd... or a purpose built tube framed thingamagingy...

Im gonna perfect the art of ruling the 'fun' races out at SMMP I think.. no rules, just club members going at it.

he he...

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

even the lotus challenge series looks like a good time... but arent those elises & exiges expensive?

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by T1Autobahn View Post
    If you don't think passing in the pit is exciting enough for you in F1, watch Nascar, where drivers only know how to make left turns.

Motogp all the way! I was there when that all happened at Laguna and let me tell ya, I didn't know I have the ability to hold my breath for so long. That's what you call racing!
    motogp is one of the most consistently exciting racing out there, thats for sure... but I have to admit that I actually enjoy watching NASCAR.. there I said it.

n

Liked
    2165 times

that is rediculous!

damn it.... I just really dont feel like buying a fwd... or a purpose built tube framed thingamagingy...

Im gonna perfect the art of ruling the 'fun' races out at SMMP I think.. no rules, just club members going at it.

he he...
    Winning T1 cars can be had for $30k, plus or minus $5k. And they will be one of the fastest cars on the track. Almost certainly guaranteed to win the overall in the race group. And reasonably affordable to race. The tires are the big expense, but we have a gentleman's agreement at the regionals to only run scrubs to keep the cost down. At the nationals you bring your "A" game, whatever you can afford....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast