• 2 Post By craZee
  • 4 Post By Force McCocken
  • 2 Post By Richard EVO
  • 1 Post By flink

Thread: Monaco trip

Liked
    448 times

Default Monaco trip

As stated before, my wife and I just returned from a 14 day Europe trip, that ended with 2 days at Monaco for quali and the race.

The cliff notes version is we are super glad we went, but neither of us feel any need to attend the race again. As with most forms of racing, the TV coverage is far superior to any view and information you can obtain by attending the race. I had to Google the race afterwards to even figure out what happened in the final 10 laps. We have the race recorded at home, and are both looking forward to watching it this weekend.

Since we knew this would be a one time shot, we ponied up for box seats. We choose to sit at turn 1. Two friends sent us pictures from TV in the USA with us on the balcony, which was pretty cool. The majority of the action was at turn 1 for this race, so that ended up being a good call on seat location. I would recommend Section K for general seating. Since you are all dying to know, (but too polite to ask) the seats were $2,200 each. This included food and booze, but since we don't drink they made a killing off of us. LOL

Hanging out in Monaco was cool. After some encounters with sketchy people in Rome and other places, the vibe in Monaco is nothing but positive and safe. I read that there is a policeman for every 6 residence. It felt like it. We got to see the Prince and Princess leave the race in his Tesla and there were at least 50 suits and cops around him. He looks like a balding, 50 something American LOL

In all honesty, the other races on the card were as entertaining as the F1 race. The F2 cars sound WAY better and were only 9 seconds/lap slower.

Porsche Cup was basically like watching a freight train go by. Good crashes however.

Any questions? Feel free to ask

Liked
    94 times

Having attended a few Euro F1 races myself, I agree that the TV coverage is better but there is nothing that can replace the energy and vibe of being there in person. Monaco is on our list but we aren't going until we can afford to spend the money on good seats and go in style. That may never happen but we can dream.
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    744 times

Have seen 3 F1 races live, with the exception of standing on a footbridge over the course as the cars drove underneath, I agree about watching it from home.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    299 times

Did you get to meet any F1 drivers (current or former) or see any of the drivers close up? Any autographs or pictures?
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    448 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
    Did you get to meet any F1 drivers (current or former) or see any of the drivers close up? Any autographs or pictures?
    No, they keep things pretty tight there and didn't even open up the track at the end of the race like they often do from what we could see.

Our driver is Daniel R. and during the parade lap I made up a sign that said # 3 P-1. While the flatbed truck with all of the drivers was going by I was yelling his name and he looked at our sign and gave us a big smile and a thumbs up :-)
    Steve35 and Pure EvoIX like this.

Liked
    744 times

The F1 races I attended were the Detroit Grand Prix, street circuit (not Belle Isle). Always T12, always a VIP guest (my father was a big player for a Tier 1 supplier), so we watched from various levels of the building they set up their facilities. I remember the year we had pit passes, the TransAm race was on on the undercard. That year was a big deal because Paul Newman was racing, who we briefly spoke with...nice guy, BTW. There were foot bridges near us, and we were at the middle of one when 4-5 cars came down through at full-tilt. I still remember the sounds and the consussions of the air as they went underneath. It was probably the first visceral experience with motorsports, aside from smashing my finger under a spare strut assembly for my dad's rally car.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1477 times

My question for OP -- you don't drink?
    bellwilliam and bawareca like this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    744 times

I think if I had seats like those, at a race like that, I wouldn't drink just so as to remember all the sensory experiences better.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    299 times

The pre-parties and after parties must be amazing if you know the right people and have money. haha.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    2243 times

Is there anywhere to watch it for, uh, free? Or do they know the meaning of the word in Monaco?

Liked
    51 times

I've been to 5 GP's: Phoenix '89 to '91 and Mexico city, '91 and '92
    1st time I saw Berger and Mansell in the 640 I shat myself! Then came Senna and Prost in the Mclaren and I crapped myself even more!
    Phoenix sucked, you couldn't see anything, but it was cheap and a 5 hour drive fro Los Angeles!
    Mexico city was and is a great track, there was good passing at turn 1, the esses were fun to watch or you could sit across from the pis and watch the teams do their pit stops.
    I do plan to go back one of these days.

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Is there anywhere to watch it for, uh, free? Or do they know the meaning of the word in Monaco?
    Buy a 1 bed apartment on the waterfront with a balcony. Only 4-6 megaeuros, but you can sell it again later.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post
    Buy a 1 bed apartment on the waterfront with a balcony. Only 4-6 megaeuros, but you can sell it again later.
    Or a yacht......

Liked
    448 times

Watched the race last night. It was fun to see more sections of the course. Hamilton got screwed by his team for sure.

Why do you think he pulled over during the cool down lap? Just to give himself time to not act like a jerk?

When he pulled into the 3rd place winners (losers) spot he intentionally hit the sign with his car. In the interviews afterwards you could tell that what was coming out of his mouth was not what was going through his mind LOL

Liked
    94 times

I agree, I think he pulled over to gather himself up, I would of probably done the same. Made me chuckle when he hit the 3rd place sign.

Liked
    855 times

There are a some mildly entertaining glamour/spectator shots in the attached video, then the cars are introduced at about 30 seconds, and finally some very good footage regarding the fateful pit stop from about 2 minutes on.

Race edit: Monaco '15

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A post race analysis:

"Crucially, we hear the fateful exchange between Lewis Hamilton and the Mercedes team which cost him the race.

Peter Bonnington to Lewis Lewis Hamilton: 'Safety Car, Safety Car. So we are staying out

Lewis Hamilton to Peter Bonnington: Are you sure it’s the best thing to stay out? These tyres have lost all their temperature. Everyone’s going to be on options now.

Peter Bonnington to Lewis Hamilton: OK. Copy, copy. Box, box.

The lap charts and race footage actually indicate that there was sufficient a gap from Sebastian Vettel to Daniel Kvyat, for the Ferrari to have pitted and rejoined ahead of the Red Bull. The Mercedes team were concerned about the time it would take for Hamilton’s wornprime tyres to warm up based on previous data they had from Saturday.

Mark Hughes explains that in during qualifying and FP2, “new primes needed five laps to reach temperature – it was feasible that a set of used primes would never have regained their temperature. This is a phenomenon we’ve seen many times before; with so little rubber left on the tread, it often cannot bend and twist enough to generate the heat needed to initiate the chemical bonding process that’s one of the two mechanisms of a tyre’s grip.

Without being able to generate good cornering loads, the core of the tyre remains brittle and inflexible too and cannot help the tread by bending under load, thereby making it yet more difficult for the tread etc in a vicious downwards spiral. It was quite feasible that such a tyre would have been disastrously gripless once the race restarted – possibly to the tune of five/six seconds per lap”.

Given this scenario, Hamilton and Rosberg would have been sitting ducks to a charging Ferrari. The problem was that Mercedes could not know whether Vettel was going to pit, because Hamilton was so far ahead of him.

The team had enough time to get Hamilton in and out and retain the lead of the race, however three factors came into play which finally lost Lewis the race.

Firstly, there were problems with the GPS meant Mercedes did not account for the Sauber of Felipe Nasr, who pitted around four seconds after Lewis Hamilton.

This meant Hamilton had to wait following his tyre change, to avoid being penalised for an unsafe release

Secondly, Lewis badly missed his stop mark in the pit box, his wheels completely beyond the halt line, which meant the mechanics lost valuable time adjusting their positions to change his wheels.

Third, when Hamilton was released and at full pit lane speed following Nasr, he was 1.5 seconds behind the Sauber, this gap represents more time lost at the point of release.

There was alos a problem with the pit equipment which signals to the driver he is ‘good to go’. So by the time the light went green, the Sauber was well past the point where a safe release could have been performed.

The Sauber pitting, the bad positioning of the car in the pit box and the slow release all meant Hamilton’s stop was 1.3 seconds longer than his first.

Lewis emerged at the safety car two line just 0.45 seconds behind Rosberg.

"Conclusion": The 4.1 second stop was slow and cost him at least one position.

One moment of amusement in the F1.com video, is a radio call from Vettel as he passes Hamilton who had parked up at Portier on the parade lap after the chequered flag. In his clipped German accent he efficiently reports back to Ferrari, “I think he is going home – straight away”.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 05-29-2015 at 03:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread