• 2 Post By bellwilliam

Thread: Model S 1 year report

Liked
    1429 times

Default Model S 1 year report

bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    1429 times

William do you have any comments about Tesla ownership?
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    He doesnt have any real impressions because he buys new car every week and doesnt have enough time to drive'em all

Liked
    546 times

When he's talking about the lack of storage pockets up front, and how it doesn't bother him, all I could think was "you're not married, are you?"

Steve
    bellwilliam and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    When he's talking about the lack of storage pockets up front, and how it doesn't bother him, all I could think was "you're not married, are you?"

Steve
    You would be surprised. But that empty space is designed with "female" in mind. Women have nowhere to put their purse in 99% of cars out there. This fits most perfectly
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2283 times

My review:
    Owned the car for 4 years - warranty expiring in few weeks - not sure if I want to extend 4 more years (really good, it is bumper to bumper unlike most other manufacturers) for $4,200. Mine have been reliable (except for couple of major issues initially that was a recall). Being an EV, there isn't much to break. Especially because I have the early version - don't have any of self Driving things.

First year ownership. Engine (motor) had to be replaced. That sounded major expecting it down for few weeks. Imagine my surprise when technician asked if I wanna go grab lunch nearby and pick up later. It is a 3 hours book job (have since told by a friend at Tesla that is is a 1/2 hour job, but they have to spend 2.5 hours test). Another time was a recall on battery "connnector". Not sure how many hour job, but was done the next day.

Pro:
    Best driving sedan I've owned. Drive circles around M3. You got to realize this is a true mid engine car with super low CG (lower than 911) with instant torque. With unequal control a-arm suspension. I wish they had advertised more on handling aspect of it than tree hugging aspect.

I can't really explain it. But because it is an electric motor. Throttle is a lot more precise (linear? No jerkiness ? ). So throttle control in corners is very precise. Makes it easier for weight transfer control

Zero maintenance cost - I have spent exactly ZERO in 4 years owning it, other than electricity cost.

On subject of electricity cost. I spent a lot of time charging (free) at supercharger stations (one at Victoria Garden; where my daughter shops, so we often visit to have lunch or dinner)

No squeak or rattle with mine.

Mine has been reliable. But that might be because I have the early version without all fancy sensor and radar. MCU have not crashed (may be twice in 1st year) like the reviewer said

Free music - music is streamed 3G (Also free), you can push a button and ask if to play any song (99%) and it plays !! I can't think of a single car that can do that

Big luggage space. Trunk and frunk.

Service is great. They will send a driver to your place to pick up the car for repair.

Con:
    Panel gap of a $10k car. Kia have better panel gap so may be more of Chinese car gap

Interior quality is equivalent of a $40k car.

2 cup holders and in wrong location (takes away armrest)

Goes into power cutting mod after 1/2 lap around a track. Yes we've seen them on track. That's because drivers can't drive
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 02-18-2017 at 12:22 PM.
    ucfbrett and bawareca like this.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1429 times

Do you own a Volt as well William?

Liked
    546 times

The used Model S's are pretty attractively priced... if I were in the market I would seriously consider going that route (with the 4 year warranty that comes with it)...

Steve

Liked
    1429 times

Been looking at the electrics and have been coming to the conclusion that the Volt is the best electric of them all.

Coworker got a new one for 21K after credits, electric range of 50 miles, charges fully in 13 hours on plain old 110v, never runs out of juice.

Seems like a winner if you can deal with 150 electric horses and 7.1 second 0-60

Liked
    2283 times

Been looking at the electrics and have been coming to the conclusion that the Volt is the best electric of them all.

Coworker got a new one for 21K after credits, electric range of 50 miles, charges fully in 13 hours on plain old 110v, never runs out of juice.

Seems like a winner if you can deal with 150 electric horses and 7.1 second 0-60
    I hope your friend paid $21k including tax. You can buy a base Volt for ~$18k + tax.

Yes. I had a Volt gen 1. Great car. Only negative is having both drivetrain. Kinda waste and taking lots of space.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I hope your friend paid $21k including tax. You can buy a base Volt for ~$18k + tax.

Yes. I had a Volt gen 1. Great car. Only negative is having both drivetrain. Kinda waste and taking lots of space.
    Might well be including tax.

Sure it's a waste having an engine, but on the upside, having an engine costs like 5k less than having more batteries instead. Another $1-2k less since you don't need a charging station. And your range with gas stations is unlimited.

The volt is the electric for the masses that just happens to be a hybrid.
    Last edited by robburgoon; 02-18-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Liked
    2283 times

Btw. If you can live with small EV with short range and loves the hoa sticker. You can buy an off lease Leaf,
    500e and Spark for about $5k to $7k. 500e is expecting to fall much further in next few month. A ton of 2014/15 500e will be coming off leases. Expected to be $3k to $5k.

Some of the EV are still under warranty (my 500e was a 2 year lease) and don't forget batteries are 8 year warranty by law
    SteveLevin and bawareca like this.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1429 times

Btw. If you can live with small EV with short range and loves the hoa sticker. You can buy an off lease Leaf,
    500e and Spark for about $5k to $7k. 500e is expecting to fall much further in next few month. A ton of 2014/15 500e will be coming off leases. Expected to be $3k to $5k.

Some of the EV are still under warranty (my 500e was a 2 year lease) and don't forget batteries are 8 year warranty by law
    You'll probably need the warranty on the leaf, without thermal management the battery degrades fast.

Liked
    2283 times

You'll probably need the warranty on the leaf, without thermal management the battery degrades fast.
    . I believe that's only 1st and 2nd year Leaf (2011/2012). 2013+ has the improved battery. Nissan also changed the battery warranty to 8 years 100k miles. I put 2014 to be safe as some will still be under bumper to bumper warranty.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    546 times

If I could pick up an electric for 3 grand, I might just do that... have to convince the wife, but at least it would reduce wear and tear on the Subie. And it's nice not to get the "oh, we need to get gas just to go to the movies" thing.

Steve

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    If I could pick up an electric for 3 grand, I might just do that... have to convince the wife, but at least it would reduce wear and tear on the Subie. And it's nice not to get the "oh, we need to get gas just to go to the movies" thing.

Steve
    Early 500e is already at $4k range at auction.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    546 times

Early 500e is already at $4k range at auction.
    To quote from Star Wars... "almost there..."

Steve

+ Reply to Thread