+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mini? How are they?

Liked
    0 times

Default Mini? How are they?

Mini? How are they?

Is anyone here tracking a Mini? If so... How do you like it and what mods have been done?

Click.
    http://www.madnessequipped.com/video/MM4.wmv
    Last edited by McGarrett; 12-20-2007 at 06:34 PM.
    96 C2
    Fabspeed Supercups
    PSS9's
    BBS RS-GT's
    16k sound system
    Custom Leather Interior

07 Cayman
    Mostly Stock.

1973 914 2.0 Engine being rebuilt

Liked
    2165 times

That is a cool video. I like the close driving with the Porsche for several turns.

Locally, the licensing director for SCCA, Bill Gilcrease races a mini in the GT-Lite class. It looks like a fun car.

He also runs a business for racing Minis called Min-Comp. I don't know if he has a website, but his e-mail address is mincomp at attglobal.net. Please note it is Mincomp and not Minicomp.

... I just found his URL.
    http://www.mincompracing.com/racing.html

You will see he has a pretty *****in' lookin' little green monster.

Oli

Liked
    0 times

Hey all.
    The video is of Steve Diniz,s BMWCCA D mod Mini. It's about a 2003-05 model S with lot'sa mods. That Video is old and was when the car was no where near what it is now.
    He continues to improve this car every year. Here is how it looks now...

Not a whole lot'a classes for this Mini with these mods. BMWCCA is an excellent club to race with and very competitive, attended by several pros that also race in Grand Am. There is also NASA GTS, which I don't know that much about, but I do plan on trying that class out myself in 08. Otherwise it's SCCA ITE I think. Being the car is not normally aspirated, there are just no other classes to run it. To bad, as it would make an excellent SCCA GT3 or production racer. I will tell ya though, the Mini S almost dominates it's SCCA showroom stock class. But this is a close to stock car, which to me is boring ..

Olitho, the Minis you are referring to are the original classics. A whole lot'a places for those to race, including vintage.

So, just to add, I have been building a D mod (BMWCR) mini S myself. Just about done after the two year build. Below are some pics. Building a race Mini is not the smartest thing to do ..
    Also, here's a Vid of my car at LRP at a DE before I tore it down for the build.

My Mini...

Other succsesful race Minis (late model)

Alain Lauziere. Races a Canadian series and was champ of his class

Randall Smalley Races this in Grand Am. Look for him to improve tons in '08.

This was raced by Vanina Ickys in a Euopean series. Hardly a Mini as it's powerd by a BMW M3 6 cylinder and is rear wheel drive.
    Last edited by onasled; 12-21-2007 at 08:32 AM.

Liked
    1 times

^^ Saw your MINI on Bimmerforums, very nice build you got goin' there!

Liked
    0 times

What's with the rumor or truth that Mini's have been banned by the SCCA in some areas because of a fire accident/incident?

You also mention that the Mini is "Normally aspirated"? Are the ones you are talking about different from what you can buy off the showroom floor (other than mods)? As far as I know, they were supercharged, and are are now Turbo. What class are they in? Does the fact that they are Turbo now, send them into a class that they are not competitive in?

RCC.
    96 C2
    Fabspeed Supercups
    PSS9's
    BBS RS-GT's
    16k sound system
    Custom Leather Interior

07 Cayman
    Mostly Stock.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by McGarrett View Post
    What's with the rumor or truth that Mini's have been banned by the SCCA in some areas because of a fire accident/incident?

You also mention that the Mini is "Normally aspirated"? Are the ones you are talking about different from what you can buy off the showroom floor (other than mods)? As far as I know, they were supercharged, and are are now Turbo. What class are they in? Does the fact that they are Turbo now, send them into a class that they are not competitive in?

RCC.
    I think you misread. Said the mini is not NA, and that's why there are few SCCA classes for it to run in. BUT, I am talking about the S. The Mini cooper(non S) is in fact NA so there are in fact classes for that car, and if not I'm sure it could be easily petitioned to be.
    Yes, the '02 to '06 S models are SC and the '07 and '08 are turbo. Turbo is still as hard to get into SCCA as SC. I'm certainly no expert here, so take this all with grains of salt.

Oh yea, the banned thing. As far as I know SCCA has no issue with he Mini, but I do know that the PCA did. I think there was a car in one of their DEs that rolled and the driver door popped open. This has been reported more then once and is an issue I think that anyone racing it should look into.
    Watch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihsMw...eature=related
    Last edited by onasled; 12-21-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Liked
    0 times

Oh yea, the banned thing. As far as I know SCCA has no issue with he Mini, but I do know that the PCA did. I think there was a car in one of their DEs that rolled and the driver door popped open. This has been reported more then once and is an issue I think that anyone racing it should look into.
    Watch
    Your right. It was a PCA thing.

RCC.
    96 C2
    Fabspeed Supercups
    PSS9's
    BBS RS-GT's
    16k sound system
    Custom Leather Interior

07 Cayman
    Mostly Stock.