0 times

Liked
    367 times

Thanks for sharing Charles.

Great find!
    Do you understand?

Liked
    2 times

Thanks Charles. I've been waiting for these videos to come out. Spoon FTW! The NSX-R GT sounds like pure sex!

What's Traction Control? 600RR_Rocket's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Wow...1:25 is blazing fast! They were both running the same street tires too...I think they are Potenza RE070's. I wonder how fast they would be if you threw some slicks on them...

BTW, did they start from standstill on the skid pad when those lap times were recorded? Or did they get a running start?

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by 600RR_Rocket View Post
    Wow...1:25 is blazing fast! They were both running the same street tires too...I think they are Potenza RE070's. I wonder how fast they would be if you threw some slicks on them...

BTW, did they start from standstill on the skid pad when those lap times were recorded? Or did they get a running start?
    That's a good question. I was wondering about that too. I wonder how fast the Mine's R35 will be once it's complete. The Mine's R34 did 1:21.xxx.

Liked
    0 times

Just as another comparion: The C-West S2000 did 1:21 on slicks with Tyler driving it.

Also to add: Keiichi Tsuchiya was the driver of Mine's R34.

What is Oli's fastest lap?
    Last edited by 600RR_Rocket; 09-25-2008 at 01:25 PM.

FIA WTCC/Formula D Driver MiataCharles_Hong_Kong's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by JDMxDB8 View Post
    That's a good question. I was wondering about that too. I wonder how fast the Mine's R35 will be once it's complete. The Mine's R34 did 1:21.xxx.
    Mine's R34 was driven by Tsuchiya Keiichi on A048's. I think he is very likely to pull a faster time on street car(he is so specialized in driving street production car) than both drivers in the video, i think the very R35 in the video can easily do a 1:23-24 with just tsuchiya san driving it.
    Last edited by MiataCharles_Hong_Kong; 09-25-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Liked
    0 times

I've seen Oli do 1:20's I think at a POC event.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3
    JC3D // Racecars and Keyframes // 996 Spec

Liked
    977 times

Just as another comparion: The C-West S2000 did 1:21 on slicks with Tyler driving it.
    I think that was on r-compounds (the Hankook C91s), not slicks.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by JC3D View Post
    Wow, if that's true, Oli might have the lap record in a closed-cockpit car at SOW. I did a search, and the fastest lap times I could find are the Mine R34's and the C-West S2000. Anyone know what the official lap record is?

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    I think that was on r-compounds (the Hankook C91s), not slicks.
    I get confused when talking about tires...but here's what I understand:

Street Tires - RE01R, R1R, Azenis, etc.
    R-Comps - R888, NT-01, RA-1, etc.
    Dot Approved Slicks (Also known as A-Comps?) - R1, C91, V710, Hoosier XXX, etc.
    Full Race Slicks (Non-DOT approved) - Dunno what models??

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?? And I believe C-West, R34, and Oli were all running Dot Slicks (A Comps)??? Wow, now I just confused myself...
    Last edited by 600RR_Rocket; 09-25-2008 at 03:06 PM.

Liked
    977 times

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?? And I believe C-West, R34, and Oli were running Dot Slicks (A Comps)??? Wow, now I just confused myself...
    I think you are basically on the money, I had not heard the definition "a-comps" before and count the V710, R/A6, R1, C91, etc as r-comps.

Full race slicks, some of the manufacturers are Hoosier, Michelin, Goodyear, Dunlop, etc. Typically the size descriptor for full slicks is completely different (ie. 25.5x12-16 is a slick with 25.5" overall diameter, 12" width and for a 16" diameter wheel).

In the case of the euro slicks like Michelin and Dunlop it is even stranger like 31/71-R18. I'm still not clear on what those measurements actually are.

Liked
    165 times

Don't forget that in these videos, they ran the extra 'hairpin' at the top of the hill after T3. That adds a few seconds of lap time.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Don't forget that in these videos, they ran the extra 'hairpin' at the top of the hill after T3. That adds a few seconds of lap time.
    Good ****. I forgot about that.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    True...they ran without the blow-pass...from the lap time comparisons I've seen...that an average of 2 seconds difference. Good observation!

Liked
    10 times

last time at SOWS, Grand Prix West was kind and let me run back to back laps with and without blowpass at the end of the day

on my 1st time ever + only 1 lap with that hairpin (without blowpass), it's only 1.5s slower than with blowpass, which i have a lot more experience

"Shoe"
    Liked
    566 times

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?? And I believe C-West, R34, and Oli were all running Dot Slicks (A Comps)??? Wow, now I just confused myself...
    Street Tires: RE01R, R1R, AD07, PS2, Azenis, etc.
    R-Comps/DOT-approved slicks: RA-1, R888, Pilot Sport Cups, NT-01, BFG R1, V710, Hoosier R6, Hankook C71, C91 (above and beyond all others including autocross compounds) etc.
    Full Race Slicks (Non-DOT approved): Michelin Blues, ...

I think autocross compound tires (Hoosier A6) would also be under R-comps/DOT-approved slicks, but not sure.

+1 on "blowpass". In many of these tests it seems that it's 2 seconds slower than without it. This is also the same configuration that Sports Compact Car uses for their Ultimate Street Car Challenge.

C91s are some of the stickiest tires out there. In many cars, they are roughly 5 seconds faster than Hoosier R6 or BFG R1.

Last edited by Stuntman; 09-26-2008 at 10:14 AM.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by JC3D View Post
    Oli's best at SOW is 1:22.xx. John Mueller has run 1:21.999 in an Evo VIII, and Robi Fuller got into the 1:21.xx in a Lister-Chevy.

Shifter karts routinely run 1:19.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 09-26-2008 at 10:31 AM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Street Tires: RE01R, R1R, AD07, PS2, Azenis, etc.
    R-Comps/DOT-approved slicks: RA-1, R888, Pilot Sport Cups, NT-01, BFG R1, V710, Hoosier R6, Hankook C71, C91 (above and beyond all others including autocross compounds) etc.
    Full Race Slicks (Non-DOT approved): Michelin Blues, ...

I think autocross compound tires (Hoosier A6) would also be under R-comps/DOT-approved slicks, but not sure.

+1 on "blowpass". In many of these tests it seems that it's 2 seconds slower than without it. This is also the same configuration that Sports Compact Car uses for their Ultimate Street Car Challenge.

C91s are some of the stickiest tires out there. In many cars, they are roughly 5 seconds faster than Hoosier R6 or BFG R1.

Right on!

I actually had a conversation with Steve @M-Workz last night at his shop. There is no such thing as separate classifications for R-Comps vs. A-Comps. All of the DOT approved tires with treadwear above 140 are "Street" tires, anything below 140 and DOT approved are considered "R-Comps." And then there are non-Dot slicks. So only 3 groups.

I was confused because I was thinking about the difference between Mod and Unlimited class at Time Attacks. The difference is again treadwear, above or below 50.

And yes, the Hoosier A6 is considered a DOT approved R-Comp.

The Hankook C91 is the hot tire right now. It's why the JIC S15 and the C-West S2000 have been so dominant in the last 2 years. This year, the GST and Crawford Imprezas and the M-Workz 350Z slapped them on...and BOOM...you now have a real competition.

Liked
    1 times

FYI... for all the Nor Cal drivers. Just got word from my buddies at Opak/Spoon Sports...

The SPOON SPORTS NSX-R will be hitting the track for a magazine test at Infineon Raceway on Tuesday (30th). You can see it in action... Sorry no ride-ins will be given as this is for a magazine coverage.

I drove for the team a few years back. Great people... I'll be out there coaching that day and trying to get to cruise the nsx around for a few laps

Cruise through if you're around.

Robbie
    Montinola Racing | www.montinola.com
    Silicon Valley Racing | www.DriveSVR.com
    Driver Coaching :: Private Track Events

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast