+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Johnny_Se7en

Thread: Might be of interest to some of you guys here

Liked
    34 times

Default Might be of interest to some of you guys here

In the future, you can just press a button on your dashboard before each session, let it set a benchmark lap time for your setup. Then you can just try to see if you can match it. Or better yet, test multiple setups with the system to find the best speed. you can eliminate any driver variations from the equation. cool stuff.

Liked
    144 times

I can see it now, download the Ken Block or the Fernando Alonzo app for your car, win not included.
    DutchOven likes this.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    466 times

They did a show on something like this back in the mid 90's. But the computer only gave data on the fastest lap time, a certain car could do at a certain track.

It was supose to tell you what a perfact lap would be. Then they and could not beat the computers times. then they had Emerson Fittipaldi drive the car. On his second lap he beat the computer's time by about .5 seconds.

It was a cool show. I think it was on Discover, but it was a long time ago.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    216 times

Be sure you pat yourself on the back after watching. More importantly, when the robots finally over throw the humans, they'll still find utility in our amazing driving skills. I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

Neat experiment. The cognitive load measurements during reflex action are fascinating (muscle memory). That's the difference between operating a car and driving it. Computers are going to need a spiritual breakthrough to experience the zen of driving before they can truly master navigating the analog world. Flow is a powerful force and the source of our addiction. Senna had a great quote regarding this phenomena.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryton Senna
    Monte Carlo, ’88, the last qualifying session. I was already on pole and I was going faster and faster. One lap after the other, quicker, and quicker, and quicker. I was at one stage just on pole, then by half a second, and then one second…and I kept going. Suddenly, I was nearly two seconds faster than anybody else, including my teammate with the same car. And I suddenly realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously.

I was kind of driving it by instinct, only I was in a different dimension. It was like I was in a tunnel, not only the tunnel under the hotel, but the whole circuit for me was a tunnel. I was just going, going – more, and more, and more, and more. I was way over the limit, but still able to find even more. Then, suddenly, something just kicked me. I kind of woke up and I realized that I was in a different atmosphere than you normally are. Immediately my reaction was to back off, slow down. I drove slowly to the pits and I didn’t want to go out any more that day.

It frightened me because I realized I was well beyond my conscious understanding. It happens rarely, but I keep these experiences very much alive in me because it is something that is important for self-preservation.
    But just to be safe, I'm going to change my car number decals to binary.

+ Reply to Thread