+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Midengined 911? Is it still a 911?

Liked
    765 times

Default Midengined 911? Is it still a 911?

If ever there was a clear marker to the end of the world, this might be it.

Here's More Evidence Porsche Is Testing A Super-Secret Mid-Engine 911 RSR

cynbakbtd8eb3fddojke.png
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    89 times

I saw this video yesterday. Sounds amazing, and was wondering myself if the engine location changed...
    SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Liked
    145 times

It would be a 718/6
    Integral likes this.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    45 times

On the plus side, I don't hear a turbo.

On the minus side, it's not the end of the world. GM will take care of that in two years with a mid-engined Corvette powered by a V6 turbo.
    Olitho, Red_5, ucfbrett and 1 others like this.

Liked
    765 times

Quote Originally Posted by wagnerov View Post
    On the plus side, I don't hear a turbo.

On the minus side, it's not the end of the world. GM will take care of that in two years with a mid-engined Corvette powered by a V6 turbo.
    Okay, the combination of a mid-engined 911 and a mid-engined turbo six in a Corvette clearly means it's time to start working on your bucket list.
    Olitho and bawareca like this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1720 times

Isn't there already a mid-engine 911? Is called a Cayman I'm old and drink "coke". So I'd be happy with a C7Z06 that is truely track ready.
    Olitho, bawareca and Gian like this.

JJ1
    Liked
    188 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Isn't there already a mid-engine 911? Is called a Cayman I'm old and drink "coke". So I'd be happy with a C7Z06 that is truely track ready.
    I drove a c7z06 a couple weeks ago at chuckwalla. I couldn't get 1 "hot" lap without going into limp mode and I was shifting at 5k RPM!!! But I must say, the chassis was SO good! Just an incredible amount of lateral grip and VERY well balanced. It was such a tease.
    Olitho, robburgoon and Gian like this.

Liked
    609 times

I wondee if this is going to be a limited addition to compete in endurance racing...especially if LMP1 implodes completely (not unlikely for 2018)

Liked
    150 times

If no back seats then not 911.
    Olitho likes this.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2592 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    If no back seats then not 911.
    Sadly, true. More than once, I've heard 911 fans/owners state that the reason they chose a 911 was for the rear seats, modest in utility though they may be. I love the Porsche design and engineering ethos and love the way most of them feel when driving. I am not a fan however, of the rear engine platform. It's dumb, despite being engineered to the nth degree so it's still fast.
    The Cayman platform deserves to be king, with the 911 being the "sedan" version. M4 vs M3 kind of thing. The M4 has become the desired one, the M3 literally, taking a back seat. This will never happen with Porsche though.
    Gian likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    481 times

As Porsche has said it's self. The 911 is fast despite it's self. As in the design is not the best platform. Still it works very well. I've have a tainted view of the 911 and it's off spring. It's more of a personal thing for me. I have driven wonderfully well handling 911's. But have had this love hate thing with VW's. So when I drive a 911. That VW stigma rears it's ugly head. Those feelings of "it's just a great handling, very fast bug".
    My dad loved the flat 4 and 6. The versatility of the early VW/Porsche platform. Had a VERY FAST Baja bug, Tube frame dune buggy and 911 S with a factory built race motor. All such a joy to drive. Honing my young driving skills on El Mirage dry lake and WSIR. He also helped build on of the first long travel VW pan dune buggys, powered by a flat 6. That when testing @ WPIR was blowing passed a few cobras that were there. Ah the 70's.... But I digress.

I too would like to see the Cayman take over the top performance spot in the company and let the 911 keep the luxury performance sedan crown.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    590 times

Sounds Turbocharged to me...

Porsche finally admits that rear-engine is not superior!

Liked
    45 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Sounds Turbocharged to me...
    I thought that too when some of the on-throttle action sounded buzzy like your Ford GT. The dark car sounds different from the white one too. But I don't hear any turbo blow-off under deceleration in the video. The sound is reminiscent of the Porsche flat-6 DP's to me, being distinct from 911's with a similar engine but different exhaust routing.

Who knows but Porsche right now; these are test mules. I doubt they will be non-turbo for long if indeed that's the case.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    590 times

The Ford GTs and 488 racecars don't have a turbo blow-off sound on decel either...

Liked
    26 times

It almost sounds supercharged. That whine is too loud relative to the exhaust note to be from the gearbox.

And while a rear-engine layout is objectively inferior to a mid-engine layout (the whole bar-bell thing), I would argue that learning to drive a 911 fast makes you a better driver in any platform.

Nothing teaches a driver the implications of weight transfer quite like a 911.

Liked
    45 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-deXDPzYRU was what I was using for reference to the Ford GT turbo sound, though I know it's old. The turbos are obvious in that video (maybe not on decel), and those noises are missing from the 911 video on Jalopnik. So that's what I based my conclusion on. I also haven't been to a pro race other than the Indy 500 in a few years. I defer to real racers like you, however!

On another (engine) note and off-topic, I love listening to sports car and atmo-F1 "sounds" videos from youtube for hours at a time at work. The last time I went flagging at Sears Point, I set a tablet down on the wall next to me just to record the sounds of World Challenge cars in turn 11. Diesel and turbocharged engines take some of that pleasure away. blah.
    Last edited by wagnerov; 11-02-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Liked
    24 times

Porsche finally admits that rear-engine is not superior!
    Porsche never claimed that the rear-engine layout was superior to a mid-engine layout. Any car designed in the last 70 years by Porsche specifically for racing used the mid-engine layout. This means cars not required to use a production car as the basis for homologation.

Porsche put the engine in the back of cars for packaging purposes. Mid-engined sports cars lack people and cargo room. The 911 was designed as a 2+2 coupe. I certainly think a rear-engine design is better than a front engine design.
    Bongo likes this.
    Scott Winders
    PRC GTL #3

Liked
    609 times

what Porsche's done to designate the new car as mid engined is swap the rear and middle digits of the model name...

Steve
    Red_5, bawareca and Bongo like this.

Liked
    7 times

After all their complaining last year I am sure that it is turbocharged. Sorry for my ignorance, when was the last top level supercharged road race car raced?
    A supercharger I feel will never make sense. Too much heat soak and inefficiency.
    Every car in the field will be turbocharged I feel within 4 years. There's rumors that the new ZR1 ditched the supercharger for 2 turbos.

Liked
    7 times

The Ford GTs and 488 racecars don't have a turbo blow-off sound on decel either...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMjJhcgKOao

They dont?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast