+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Mid-Century Modern Architecture

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ I had an Eames rocking chair that my parents gave me as a birthday present when I was 8 years old. At some point the chair seat broke from the rocking chair frame, but I'm sure it would have been easy to fix. I don't know what ever happened to it, but it would be worth some $$$ now.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    545 times

Does Eero Saarinen's work count? I have always loved the TWA Worldport and the main entrance at Dulles.

If we end up building a home in Wyoming, we are looking at designs with a lot of window (despite the winds) so that we can watch the sunsets and the Rockies.

Steve

Liked
    742 times

Richard, yes, that is worth some coin. Fun fact; Herman Miller gives those to employees who are expecting mothers as a gift. The original mold for those seat shells sits at the entrance of their R&D engineering group. It is autographed and has a person drawn in the mold by Ray Eames. It's fun.

Steve, I agree with you about Saarinen and DFW, one of few architects who knew how to design furniture, IMO. Most of the architects I have worked with in past for furniture made me want to punch babies. Still love the Eames airport seating. For being 40 years old, the design is still fresh and it's very comfortable. If I were building a house in a place like that, I would do the same. Windows everywhere. Even with the number of windows and the high ceilings in our home, it still certified as an EnergyStar home. Of course a few updates helped, but it is noticeably easier to cool in the summers here.
    Richard EVO likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    742 times

The sort of MCM home you can find in the RDU area:

116 Dogwood Trail - MLS #1899831 - Property located in Wendell
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    742 times

double up!
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 08-09-2013 at 05:18 AM.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    The sort of MCM home you can find in the RDU area:

116 Dogwood Trail - MLS #1899831 - Property located in Wendell
    $139,000? That's the price of an expensive sports car . . .

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

MJM
    Liked
    9 times

Sweet house

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    Richard, yes, that is worth some coin. Fun fact; Herman Miller gives those to employees who are expecting mothers as a gift. The original mold for those seat shells sits at the entrance of their R&D engineering group. It is autographed and has a person drawn in the mold by Ray Eames. It's fun.
    Another fun fact about the Eames rocking chair. Law is a second career for me. I went to law school at night when I was in my mid-40s, and have been practicing law for about 12 years. When I was in night law school, I went to office hours at one of my favorite law school professor's office. He had an Eames rocking chair in there, just like the one my parents gave me when I was a kid. I told him about that and he said that I should have kept it for it's $$ value today . . .
    Force McCocken likes this.

Liked
    742 times

GOOD furniture never comes cheap.

I bought one of the same chairs, non-rocking for my oldest niece/goddaughter when she turned 13. It's purple and leather upholstered, sort of fits her personality. She still has it and says it's still her favorite household item. She used it lot for reading through college. Perhaps if she marries, I will buy her a matching rocker if she has children.

I never intended to specialize in furniture design, it sort of just happened. Originally started in architecture and engineering, I gave into my right-brain and gravitated to industrial design. I put myself through college, usually taking classes in the evening at a university in downtown Detroit. Not a very safe place to be.

No matter who I have worked for, furniture has always been a part of my repertoire. Automotive seating, airplane seating, office, home, etc. Even designed lightweight emergency gurneys. Add some personal electronics, medical tools and other industries too.
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 08-12-2013 at 05:02 AM.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    854 times
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    You don't have to visit this thread ever again. It is within forum rules. What's the problem?

Liked
    641 times

^^^Richard,you have grown up in a great house,but your sense of humor rolled down the hill at early age.Which ,of course,is perfectly fine for a sheriff or a lawyer

Liked
    1477 times

BMW freak - is that your son in your video avatar drifting his tricycle? If not, WTF?

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    BMW freak - is that your son in your video avatar drifting his tricycle? If not, WTF?
    That's me,how could you not recognise me?But speaking of avatars,I like your shifter

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by richard evo View Post
    you don't have to visit this thread ever again. It is within forum rules. What's the problem?
    thcalkjt2r.jpg

dour power

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2