+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Mid-Century Modern Architecture

Liked
    1477 times

Default Mid-Century Modern Architecture

There was another car thread here that went off-topic about Mid-Century Modern architecture. I posted 2 pics of the house I grew up in, which my parents bought in 1961 when I was a little kid, and where my mother lived for 52 years. Here are all of the pictures that were used by my real estate agent to sell the house recently.

Last edited by Richard EVO; 08-06-2013 at 05:39 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    258 times

how big is the garage?

BID
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

There is no garage. The very first photo shows the 2-car carport and the extra parking space in front of the front door. Not a house for DIY race car mechanics . . .

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    375 times

Beautiful.

My wife loves that stuff.

Liked
    258 times

We looked at a few Eichler's here in Orange,,, I love the look/feel but the best garage I could find was a very very small 2 car and a carport.

a MCM with shop room and trailer parking is about the only thing that would get me to move now. I keep hoping.

BID

Liked
    854 times

Wonderful home, incredible view, great photos.

This house really is a classic example of the clean, modern look that characterized this optimistic, post-war period.

So, did you guys park GM, Ford, or Chryslers in your car port? And what was your first car that you parked (probably outside)?

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ My Mom drove a white and coral colored Dodge station wagon when we first moved in, and I think my Dad was still driving a Chevy Impala (with 3-dead-body sized trunk) back then. After that, my Mom got a 1971 Buick Skylark (the car I first learned to drive on with slushbox), and my Dad had some kind of Oldsmobile (another company car). Later my parents parked Mercedes and Jaguars at the house, and after that my Mom had a '92 Lexus LS 400 that she owned for 20 years, and that my daughter still drives to this day. My first car was a used '69 VW Beetle I got when I was 19. My 31-year-old girlfriend at that time taught me how to drive a stick shift. It is only one of the things I am indebted to her for, but that's another story . . . I eventually ended up with the 1975 Mercedes 450 SLC Coupe that was my Mom's car. Don't have it anymore.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 08-06-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ My Mom drove a white and coral colored Dodge station wagon when we first moved in, and I think my Dad was still driving a Chevy Impala (with 3-dead-body sized trunk) back then. After that, my Mom got a 1971 Buick Skylark (the car I first learned to drive on with slushbox), and my Dad had some kind of Oldsmobile (another company car). Later my parents parked Mercedes and Jaguars at the house, and after that my Mom had a '92 Lexus LS 400 that she owned for 20 years, and that my daughter still drives to this day. My first car was a used '69 VW Beetle I got when I was 19. My 31-year-old girlfriend at that time taught me how to drive a stick shift. It is only one of the things I am indebted to her for, but that's another story . . . I eventually ended up with the 1975 Mercedes 450 SLC Coupe that was my Mom's car. Don't have it anymore.
    The white and coral Dodge wagon fits this house like glove.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 08-06-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    The white and coral Dodge wagon fits this house like glove.
    Wait . . . . I just read your driving instructor section more carefully, and I am definitely thinking that your 31 year old girlfriend taught her 19 year old boyfriend a lot more than how to change gears in his VW!

Liked
    742 times

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous.

Mine is nowhere near that pristine nor as spacious.
    I think I spy a custom Thayer Coggin sectional sofa. At least it looks like it. I see some Milo Baughman influence in it.

I started my career at Herman Miller, so I bought as much as I could afford and some I sold along the way. I kept the Eames lounge chairs; the original plywood and soft-pad, both with ottomans. I also managed to keep the Noguchi table too, often in storage as I have moved around a LOT since then.

The car port is something I was ambivalent about. Long story short, this house I am in was physically moved about 5 miles. Slab and all. The car port was originally entered from the front of the house, but the homes new plot has access from the side. It is quite spacious, though:

img_0505.jpg
    The carport easily fits both of our cars with a spot on the parking apron off the driveway (which is where the Acura usually parks). My toolchest is up front with a larg storgae chest next to it. I am sketching/designing a way to enclose that area so it fits with the architecture and add security. I can fit 3-4 Miatas under this port easily. It's actually nice because the breeze blows through well and is pleasant when you do have to work on the cars. It is well-lit too.

The driveway is gravel, sort of disappointing, but I will remedy that. I am thinking of designing/building a style-correct one or two car garage to the left, where the apron is. There is definitely room there.

img_0526.jpg

Small house, galley kitchen, great upgrades, though. The dining area with a reclaimed beech table (from a 100-110 y.o. barn).

img_0561.jpg

Living room. Still a work in progress (it's only been a month). At least added paint. The dog likes it, at least. The floors are concrete with a tinted orange epoxy on them. It looks good, I may put wood in later.

img_0564.jpg

Window on the right offers a great view of the downtown skyline. The Redhat HQ changed it a bit but it's pretty.

img_0565.jpg
    Last edited by Force McCocken; 08-07-2013 at 07:01 AM.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Working
    Liked
    29 times

Love the Eames Lounge, def on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post

Liked
    742 times

As an employee, I was able to buy items at cost. Working in their R&D facility, they had great respect for their designers past. It was inspirational just walking the halls seeing candid photos of Ray and Charles, George Nelson, Noguchi, etc. Those lounges get better with age, they break in and start fitting you like a great pair of shoes.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Working
    Liked
    29 times

Good to know. Cant wait to pull the trigger, just not sure what spec to go with... decisions decisions.

Liked
    742 times

Custom specs take longer, obviously, but you can't go wrong with the classic black/walnut or rosewood. I have seen some stunning combinations, like white leather over zebrano veneer, but it may age, aesthetically, too quickly.

The upgraded leather may be worth a consideration. It's a higher grade and a bit softer.

Back to the house...the lot I am on is approximately 11-12k sq ft. There is a desck in the back, a 10 x 10 shed and an oak tree about 100' high, around 100 years old. I would like to make the deck in to an extended 3 season room by extending the roof overhang. The shed I would like to make custom as a guesthouse/storage building (1/2 and 1/2). Maybe just a studio for myself. I want to pave or use pavers in place of the gravel in the driveway. I am also going to do some landscaping to take full advantage of the size of the yard. Also plan to repaint the exterior and alter the entryway leading to the front. I sketch some of these out for my wife because she has a hard time visualizing them. Want to have 'that house' in the neighborhood, which is really saying something for this area.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    29 times

very nice Force. I'll post pictures when we're all moved in and furnished. Original eames lounge from 60s = $$$$ in today's market. I'm interested in MCM furniture if anyone is selling.

Liked
    434 times

What the hell is everyone talking about?
    hakeem and Red_5 like this.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    366 times

^ I'm with Jim. I'm lost as a mother...lol
    Do you understand?

Liked
    29 times

mid century modern is a style from 1950-1960s (think mad men).

Liked
    1477 times

I think they are confused because they don't know what an Eames chair is . ..

Liked
    742 times

MCM furniture is hot right now. Most was really well built. Craigslist, Etsy, estate sales are good sources. Design Within Reach is a good site to buy new. There are other sites, but it is best to familiarize yourself with the style and manufacturers. Fortunately, living in NC, most high end furniture is easy to find made here. For LA check out Mash Studio, too.

Typical markup on furniture is 400-600% over cost. If I had rights reserved for some of my previous work, well...it is best for me not to think about it.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast