+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Miata mx-5 chassis revealed in new york show

Liked
    258 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Didn't the NA have basically the entire engine behind the front wheel centerline? (atleast Cylinder 1-4, maybe not the cam gears)...?
    nope, on an NA the front wheel centerline is somewhere around the front of #2 cylinder....

Where are my scissors? Someone pass me the Aqua Net....

BID
    Richard EVO likes this.

Liked
    188 times

My hairdresser upgraded his Miata to an S2K.

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoe Money View Post
    My hairdresser downgraded his Miata to an S2K.
    ftfy
    Schmoe Money likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    366 times

Oh snap!
    Do you understand?

Liked
    2242 times

Liked
    42 times

Lots of complaints on online forums and sites that the car will be underpowered.

When I had an NA, "underpowered" was not something I really thought about. It was adequate for what I was doing with the sole exception of when I'd drive my favorite mountain- it was a little wheezy when the altitude started getting near a mile up.

My current track car likely has less power than the MX-5 will be equipped with, and will weigh something around 2250lbs caged. I've enjoyed it all these years even with 250lbs more to lug around. Slow car fast.

The new ND intrigues me, but I've gotten to the point where I don't think I'll be buying any new cars anytime soon, only trucks to tow my used cars when they break down.
    Last edited by SOneThreeCoupe; 10-03-2014 at 02:54 PM.
    Steve C.
    1992 Nissan 240SX
    Sub-2200lbs, stock with bolt-ons, Blackbird cage
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Bostongrun/Modena 62k miles

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1882 times

Mazda made the mistake of confirming the 1.5L for other markets (and not being clear about the US market at the same time) before confirming the 2.0L for the US market.
    Of course people were complaining, Ain't nobody got time for 1.5L .
    It's nice that the car is lighter than the outgoing model, but releasing a new car with less power than the outgoing model makes people's head hurt, even if on the paper the P/W ratio is better.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by SOneThreeCoupe View Post
    Lots of complaints on online forums and sites that the car will be underpowered.

When I had an NA, "underpowered" was not something I really thought about. It was adequate for what I was doing with the sole exception of when I'd drive my favorite mountain- it was a little wheezy when the altitude started getting near a mile up.

My current track car likely has less power than the MX-5 will be equipped with, and will weigh something around 2250lbs caged. I've enjoyed it all these years even with 250lbs more to lug around. Slow car fast.
    I don't understand the complaints either. The Miata fills a niche that is not simultaneously described as "fast." The Miata has never been fast. It's described as "fun" and "affordable." It does those things very well, which is why it sells like iPads in a first world country.

I think the complaints are indicative that there is a market for something between a Miata, and a Corvette. The S2000 was previously in that slot. Right now, there is nothing that is *good* that fills the slot. The FRS is closer to Miata territory, and recent American cars, while excellent, don't fit the bill. People are ready for something fun like a Miata, but faster, which is why they are *****ing about the Miata, and before the Miata they were *****ing about the FRS, and before the FRS they were *****ing about the MR2 Spyder.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2242 times

The people kvetching can wait for the turbocharged Mazdaspeed MX-5. If it happens.

Liked
    704 times

If Mazda had only offered the 1.5 engine everywhere in the world I could see why Miata fans would complain. Many Miata enthusiasts thought the next Miata should have a min of 200 hp. I don't understand why personally but that's me. Earlier today I test drove a '91 Miata which had a 1.6, an automatic trans and both hardtop and soft tops, plus I had Richter in the car with me. I wasn't even close to driving the car hard and we were both impressed by how peppy the car felt. The car only has 61k miles so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Liked
    1477 times

It's nice that the car is lighter than the outgoing model, but releasing a new car with less power than the outgoing model makes people's head hurt, even if on the paper the P/W ratio is better.
    Hairdressers don't care about horsepower. They do care about big horse dongs . . .
    robburgoon likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    143 times

I owned an NC and thought it was underpowered. I would love to see 180-200hp but I know that won't happen. I don't expect the US spec car to be less than 2400lbs.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    143 times

I owned an NC and thought it was underpowered. I would love to see 180-200hp but I know that won't happen. I don't expect the US spec car to be less than 2400lbs.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    The people kvetching can wait for the turbocharged Mazdaspeed MX-5. If it happens.
    I am estimating a Mazdaspeed version may come with the 2.5 version of the Skyactiv engine. Just hazarding a guess on intuition. THAT would put the ND around s2k power/weight and may give the model more unique opportunities. I am just not certain they could turbocharge a 14:1 comp ratio gas motor for the street without the use of some tricky electronics and smelling salts.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Hairdressers don't care about horsepower. They do care about big horse dongs . . .
    Well, done it come with a big horse dong then?

No. 0/10 would not buy.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    I am estimating a Mazdaspeed version may come with the 2.5 version of the Skyactiv engine. Just hazarding a guess on intuition. THAT would put the ND around s2k power/weight and may give the model more unique opportunities. I am just not certain they could turbocharge a 14:1 comp ratio gas motor for the street without the use of some tricky electronics and smelling salts.
    Give me a 2.4 in that car with S2000 acceleration and consider it sold. I would have to have one.

But lets keep it N/A please - no turbo nonsense.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    76 times

With a 2.0 at 170hp with a 2250LBS curb weight, it would give it a slightly better p:w than the FRS/BRZ (At a cheaper list price?). Still not quite S2K territory though. My Miata is slow as balls in the straights, but acceleration isn't why I bought the car. Cheap, Fast, Reliable. You can only pick two.
    1:46.3X @ BRP CW13 - 11/12/15 (400 whp, TD )
    1:26.82 @ WSIR - 10/12/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:22.7X @ SOW CW - 7/31/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:21.6X @ SOW CCW - 7/30/14 (400whp, Nt01)
    2:00.01 @ CVR CW - 9/28/13 (350whp, RS3)
    1:48.22 @ ACS - 11/23/13 (400whp, RS3)

Liked
    143 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    Give me a 2.4 in that car with S2000 acceleration and consider it sold. I would have to have one.

But lets keep it N/A please - no turbo nonsense.
    Honda's new type r with 2.0l turbo with 275hp will be delicious.

I think with both Honda and Toyota coming out with turbo 4 next year, it will be hard to ignore turbo power in small cars.

I don't quite understand how a 2.0l with with 14:1 compression only makes 170hp. Is Mazda restricting output on purpose? I'm not familiar with the summative engines.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    76 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post

I think with both Honda and Toyota coming out with turbo 4 next year, it will be hard to ignore turbo power in small cars.

I don't quite understand how a 2.0l with with 14:1 compression only makes 170hp. Is Mazda restricting output on purpose? I'm not familiar with the summative engines.
    People are just speculating what the hp will ultimately be. Mazda has only stated that the US Miata would receive a "specially tuned" 2.0 litre. The only car with a 2.0 right now is the Mazda 3 which is rated at 155whp /150tq

Are far as high compression and low hp figures, I would imagine the restriction lies in the cylinder head, or its just tuned for max fuel economy and low end response vs peak hp. I'm guessing that's what they will tweak for the Miata units. Unfortunately, most Auto Mfg's don't make their heads flow like Honda. Needs VTACK and HEMI!
    1:46.3X @ BRP CW13 - 11/12/15 (400 whp, TD )
    1:26.82 @ WSIR - 10/12/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:22.7X @ SOW CW - 7/31/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:21.6X @ SOW CCW - 7/30/14 (400whp, Nt01)
    2:00.01 @ CVR CW - 9/28/13 (350whp, RS3)
    1:48.22 @ ACS - 11/23/13 (400whp, RS3)

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post

Is this Honda Type R fwd, RWD or AWD?

I'm pretty sure the Skyactiv 2.0 is currently tuned for economy in the Mazda3. I'm sure it can make more power but who knows if Mazda will try for much more than 170.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast