+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 65
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Miata mx-5 chassis revealed in new york show

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rolling Hills Estates
    Posts
    2,948
    Liked
    854 times
    bellwilliam, Red_5 and ucfbrett like this.

  2. #2
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default

    Those brake rotors look tiny by today's standards, I hope that means the new Miata will really be as light as rumors have said 2200-2300 pounds.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  3. #3
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,628
    Liked
    2391 times

    Default

    I just posted this analysis to our facebook page:

    First look at the next generation Miata, er..MX5 chassis. Several interesting details. The pic is a RHD chassis. The engine sits further back than the NA/NB, possibly even further back than the NC. This is a true front-mid engine. Electric power steering. Drive by wire throttle body visible on the LHD side, meaning the head flows the same direction as the NC, opposite to the NA/NB. That means that those long runners are not coated headers but probably a plastic intake manifold as is de rigeur. Difficult to get the scale but those runners are very long, well past 14" to valve seat. That means possibly 2nd order resonance tuning. I'm thinking it will be a variable runner length manifold. Still a clockwise engine rotation. The front spindles, control arms and rear spindles appear to be aluminum. Not enough resolution to determine cast or forged. The front spindles are hollow indicating they could be shared with an AWD/FWD platform. COP ignition. Variable intake and exhaust cam timing. The transmission bell housing is blurred in this press photo indicating either the spec will change or Mazda has something tricky to hide there. No dual clutch as it would be too expensive for a car at the SRP the ND will likely have, and there's a shift lever besides. What's comforting to this Miata enthusiast is the same basic architecture as the first Miata 25 years ago. They got it right and have't messed with it. No struts, no transverse engines, no messing with what works to save a few pennies.


    -SuperMiata
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

    Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

  4. #4
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,438
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    You are the Rainman of Miatas.

    /kmart sucks
    bawareca likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  5. #5
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,438
    Liked
    742 times

    Default

    BTW, are the skyactiv's timing belt or timing chain?
    Yer pal,
    Force

  6. #6
    w00t Nurburgring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    251
    Liked
    111 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    I just posted this analysis to our facebook page:

    First look at the next generation Miata, er..MX5 chassis. Several interesting details. The pic is a RHD chassis. The engine sits further back than the NA/NB, possibly even further back than the NC. This is a true front-mid engine. Electric power steering. Drive by wire throttle body visible on the LHD side, meaning the head flows the same direction as the NC, opposite to the NA/NB. That means that those long runners are not coated headers but probably a plastic intake manifold as is de rigeur. Difficult to get the scale but those runners are very long, well past 14" to valve seat. That means possibly 2nd order resonance tuning. I'm thinking it will be a variable runner length manifold. Still a clockwise engine rotation. The front spindles, control arms and rear spindles appear to be aluminum. Not enough resolution to determine cast or forged. The front spindles are hollow indicating they could be shared with an AWD/FWD platform. COP ignition. Variable intake and exhaust cam timing. The transmission bell housing is blurred in this press photo indicating either the spec will change or Mazda has something tricky to hide there. No dual clutch as it would be too expensive for a car at the SRP the ND will likely have, and there's a shift lever besides. What's comforting to this Miata enthusiast is the same basic architecture as the first Miata 25 years ago. They got it right and have't messed with it. No struts, no transverse engines, no messing with what works to save a few pennies.

    -SuperMiata

    Thanks for the insightful analysis.
    My only comment would be that intake manifold seems pretty standard "Skyactive-G" stuff. Unlikely to have any variable length.

    skyactiv-g_main_ttl.jpg

    800px-geneva_motorshow_2013_-_mazda_skyactiv-g2.5l_engine.jpg
    Less powah is better

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rolling Hills Estates
    Posts
    2,948
    Liked
    854 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    You are the Rainman of Miatas.
    Re Force's reference to Emelio above:

    Equal parts Colin Chapman and a terrestrial Hayao Miyazake - with a little Mozart thrown in . . .

    INTERVIEW/ Hayao Miyazaki: Newest Ghibli film humanizes designer of fabled Zero - AJW by The Asahi Shimbun

    The Wind Rises watch online nA2 - Video Dailymotion
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 04-16-2014 at 05:09 PM.

  8. #8
    Member Zmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bonny Doon, Ca
    Posts
    70
    Liked
    24 times

    Default

    Can't wait to see body wrapped around it!

  9. #9
    Pro Lurker GreyFocus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    LA eerr day
    Posts
    2,038
    Liked
    103 times

    Default

    just hope the motor is at least 2.3 litres or at least 100hp per liter

  10. #10
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,644
    Liked
    2282 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    just hope the motor is at least 2.3 litres or at least 100hp per liter
    You are so far off, I don't know what to tell you.
    Nurburgring likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  11. #11
    w00t Nurburgring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    251
    Liked
    111 times

    Default

    I wonder how much boost will be possible with a 14:1 stock CR...
    Less powah is better

  12. #12
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,644
    Liked
    2282 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgring View Post
    I wonder how much boost will be possible with a 14:1 stock CR...
    I believe 14:1 is every market except USA. We get 12:1, due to our low octane fuel.

    hey, but we have E85 !!!!
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

  13. #13
    Pro Lurker GreyFocus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    LA eerr day
    Posts
    2,038
    Liked
    103 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    You are so far off, I don't know what to tell you.
    Oh well

  14. #14
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    just hope the motor is at least 2.3 litres or at least 100hp per liter
    I'm pretty sure you'll be able to run the Miata to empty on track and give it a good track alignment without replacing control arms.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  15. #15
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,853
    Liked
    1429 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    Oh well

    Yeah, hitting a high score on horsepower was never a goal of the miata program. Cheap, light, good suspension, great shifter, jinba ittai.
    Red_5 likes this.

  16. #16
    Pro Lurker GreyFocus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    LA eerr day
    Posts
    2,038
    Liked
    103 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you'll be able to run the Miata to empty on track and give it a good track alignment without replacing control arms.
    wow im really getting butt end of the jokes today haha, ill never post again. back to lurking

  17. #17
    Pro Lurker GreyFocus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    LA eerr day
    Posts
    2,038
    Liked
    103 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Yeah, hitting a high score on horsepower was never a goal of the miata program. Cheap, light, good suspension, great shifter, jinba ittai.
    didnt think 200 crank hp was high in this day and age.

  18. #18
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    wow im really getting butt end of the jokes today haha, ill never post again. back to lurking
    Oh Clint, as a Miata driver I'm just sensitive, well in general but especially when it comes to Miata power.

    I predict something around 180hp which at around 2300 pounds will be pretty fun.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  19. #19
    Pro Lurker GreyFocus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    LA eerr day
    Posts
    2,038
    Liked
    103 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Oh Clint, as a Miata driver I'm just sensitive, well in general but especially when it comes to Miata power.

    I predict something around 180hp which at around 2300 pounds will be pretty fun.
    im stoked that all the buzz about is is "less weight", which in turn would require less output. just saying 2300lbs and 200 NA hp would be a really awesome car, but prolly too quick of a power to weight that it may stray from the miata's roots per say. Honestly thought if its lighter then NC's significantly adn still manual, i say its a win.

  20. #20
    Speed Ventures agershon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    439
    Liked
    115 times

    Default

    "If you can't go fast with 90 horsepower, 900 ain't gonna help ya. I genuinely feel that." Bob Hall
    ucfbrett likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts