+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miata Formula

Liked
    19 times

Default Miata Formula

All this talk recently about fast, low hp miatas has got me thinking if we could get an easy to follow recipe or two. I remember Emilio posting something along those lines for a simple engine build on m.net a while back. Something to the order of 150-160whp thats relatively easy with bolt ons. I tried to find this thread but could not. Maybe we can sum up all this knowledge and associated costs. Maybe with a couple of "stages"?

I am thinking something that someone can easily build to, has a high return on $/performance, and maintains absolute reliability. We are talking DD capable that will have no problem for a heavy 30 min session, in the heat with just a swap of pads.

Feel free to edit or delete this first post if you want to start with a clean slate that is well organized. We could even do one for an S2k and C5 as well, as those are the next common recommendations with respective budget increase. I have no idea on most of these costs are and feel free to rearrange the format, etc.

NA6 vs NA8 vs NB1 vs NB2
    -Pros, Cons, Budget Range
    -Easy to remove weight without compromising DD manners, expected weight (Weight Reduction 1)
    -Harder to remove weight, starts getting loud and uncomfortable, some $, expected weight (Weight Reduction 2)
    -Custom, expensive weight reduction, pure race, $$$, expected weight (Weight Reduction 3)

Stage 1 - Expected CW 13 Times (Mortal hands ofcourse, Emilio times are unrealistic for humans)
    All fluids - 500$
    Koyo Rad - 500$
    XP8s - 99$
    6ULs - 520$ + S&H obligatory plug
    RS3s - 500$
    I believe this is similar to the original OGK I used to watch Emilio slaughter the noobs with.

Stage 2 - CW 13
    XIDAS - 2000$
    Weight Reduction 1
    Basic Boltons (120-130whp)
    Comfortable bucket, something that has some support but is DD capable (think Elise, GT3 seat) - 700$
    Rollbar

Stage 3 - CW 13
    Weight Reduction 2/Stripped
    Bolt ons, Ecu etc. (the 150-160whp formula)
    Aero - 1000$
    Dedicated Wheels with Slicks - 2000$
    BBK, AP or Wilwood? Reduce unsprung weight per corner, 3-5lb - 2000$
    Caged
    FIA Bucket - 1000$
    ....etc...etc

Don't know if anyone cares to do this, but would love to see some of this knowledge more organized!
    Last edited by heelntoe; 10-31-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Liked
    2283 times

Formula for a 150whp engine is

NB engine (whether VVT or not)
    CAI
    Square top manifold
    Header
    Good exhaust without a cat
    ECU

This is without opening up an engine. That's pretty much the max HP on 91. Tired Junkyard engine might run up to 7whp lower. Adding a cat might lose you few more whp. Anything over 150whp require some engine work.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

+ Reply to Thread