View Poll Results: Which presidential ticket is best for the interests of trackday/racing enthusiasts

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • The McCain ticket

8 34.78%
  • The Obama ticket

7 30.43%
  • I don't know. Is there an election? I have been too busy tuning my 12 way shocks.

8 34.78%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: McCain or Obama, which one is better for track day and racing interests?

Liked
    2165 times

Default McCain or Obama, which one is better for track day and racing interests?

Before we cast our votes, we need to know which presidential candidate will best represent and promote the interests of track day and racing enthusiasts?

Obama?

or

McCain?

Support your answer with tangible reasoning.

Oli

Liked
    1 times

McCain. His wife and son drift.
    "The crashes people remember, but drivers remember the near misses" -Mario Andretti

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Before we cast our votes, we need to know which presidential candidate will best represent and promote the interests of track day and racing enthusiasts?

Obama?

or

McCain?

Support your answer with tangible reasoning.

Oli
    McCain!!

-McCain is close friends with Ford dealership owner (Tuttle-Click) and Grand-Am Team Owner Jim Click. McCain's wife does drifting. Need I say more?

What's Traction Control? 600RR_Rocket's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Obama will "spread the wealth" and subsidize all track events so entry fees will be equal for everyone.

McCain will do nothing and make track events affordable to those who can afford it.

Hmmm....who will I vote for???

Liked
    1477 times

Oli, you are off your rocker. This is a historical presidential election pitting an old money Republican warmonger who will probably keel over from old age his first month in office after he gives $300 billion in tax breaks to the rich, leaving Annie Oakley in charge of the U.S.A., against an intelligent, articluate, compassionate candidate who can heal the many wounds inflicted on this country by the worst president in American history (W) and end the idiotic war in Iraq.

I don't care which one is better for tracking. It's not on their agenda.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    143 times

Whoever keeps gas prices cheap will be the most help to track days.

We already had a taste of how badly high oil prices can reduce track day attendance.

Liked
    2165 times

THere are a lot of issues for track day enthusiasts that will be impacted by the themed policies of the two candidates/parties. A few to consider:
    • Availability and pricing of fuel
    • Emission controls and regulation on cars
    • Horsepower regulation on vehicles
    • Imposition of alternative fuels and energy sources
    • Insurance availability and restrictions
    • Litigation reform
    • Taxation policy
    • Land use and environmental policy on everything from emissions to sound
    • Race track land availability
    • Race tracks open or closed based upon community policy
    • Banking and finance policy affecting everything from credit cards to home loans and business loans
    • Road contruction and maintenance to get to tracks
    • And many many more....

Think about it.

Liked
    0 times

This is what 8 years of republicans have caused already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq8Uc5BFogE

Yes, I did some effects on this one.
    John
    #522 996 Spec / GTS3
    JC3D // Racecars and Keyframes // 996 Spec

Liked
    0 times

A lot of those track related issues you mention Oli are actually city, county or state level issues.

I think the larger question is who is more capable of leading us out of the messes we are in. We go through a recession, get out of the mess we are in, then we'll all have more money in our pockets to spend on our favorite hobby.

McCain has demonstrated an ability to shoot from the hip (palin choice, putting his campaign on hold to go back to washington to accomplish almost nothing) and a self admitted lack of understanding of economics, and a tendency to dart from issue to issue in hopes of gaining traction. He's surrounded himself with people like Governor Palin and conducted his campaign in a Rovian fashion.

Its odd that our budget deficit seems to mushroom whenever a republican gets into the highest office and shrinks whenever a democrats in office.

According to the actuarial tables for John mcCain:

President Palin, 2011! ( Scary thought, isn't it?)

From Peggy Noonan- former special assistant to Ronald Reagan, Republican, columnist for the Wall Street Journal:

Palin's Failin'
    What is it she stands for? After seven weeks, we don't know.
    Last edited by gofaster; 10-28-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by gofaster View Post
    A lot of those track related issues you mention Oli are actually city, county or state level issues.

You are partly right, but the presidential election is always a referendum on overall national policies.

Many of the topics I cite are of national and presidential concern. Both these candidates are running on platforms that deeply affect our energy, environmental and legal policies for the next 4-8 years. Some of these things are decided locally, but for a period of time after this election the tempo and theme will be set.

Oli

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Aaaaaand there goes this thread.

Everybody say, bye-bye thread!
    We were off to such a decent start too!
    "The crashes people remember, but drivers remember the near misses" -Mario Andretti

Liked
    1477 times

I don't think the presidential race will have any effect on my ability to go club racing. I may not be able to retire until I'm 90 if McCain is elected and the stock market keeps going down, but that is pretty attenuated from the tracking issue.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I don't think the presidential race will have any effect on my ability to go club racing. I may not be able to retire until I'm 90 if McCain is elected and the stock market keeps going down, but that is pretty attenuated from the tracking issue.

So what is one candidate patronizes the radical left enviros? You races cars are one huge indulgent carbon demon. I cannot race two stroke motorcycles because our they pollute too much they say. If fork lifts and weed whips are being regulated are our race cars too far behind?

What about excluding our health coverage in cases where we are hurt on track? It has been proposed to exclude motorcycle induced injuries from coverage, but it has been beat down.

I beg to differ, our candidates do make a difference on track at the local, state and federal level.

Oli

Liked
    546 times

Talking politics is never any fun.

So I'll contribute just a few points

1) I disagree with Senator Obama's economic policy especially around taxation. "Closing corporate tax loopholes" makes for a great sound bite and casts companies as evil, but in reality what he's saying is "making corporations pay more taxes -- and thus make it more expensive to do business." Not the economic policy I think we want these days.

2) I disagree with the way that Senator Obama handled the situation in Georgia. I believe his entire concern about what the world thinks is misplaced. It's not a popularity contest, it's about doing what's right -- which is often unpopular.

3) The fact that Senator Obama attended a church with a deeply hateful and racist minister for decades makes him totally unacceptable. My wife and I left a congregation that we otherwise liked here in San Jose specifically because we disagreed with the Rabbi's extensive politicizing. And we didn't hide around and try and find a story for it that would be deemed polticially acceptable.

And finally, I think using actuarial tools around Senator McCain's age is utter silliness. What do those same tables say about surviving torture and physical abuse? Not many people survive all of that to start with -- or are qualified to become naval aviators -- so clearly he's not very "average" to begin with.

Steve

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    So what is one candidate patronizes the radical left enviros? You races cars are one huge indulgent carbon demon. I cannot race two stroke motorcycles because our they pollute too much they say. If fork lifts and weed whips are being regulated are our race cars too far behind?

What about excluding our health coverage in cases where we are hurt on track? It has been proposed to exclude motorcycle induced injuries from coverage, but it has been beat down.

I beg to differ, our candidates do make a difference on track at the local, state and federal level.

Oli
    Club racing and HPDE are not a blip on the radar screen of national politics. Most people don't know they exist.

The argument that allowing people to track their cars provides an outlet that is a deterrent to street racing is a dead bang winner. Quit worrying. Obama is not going to steal your Corvette (or your beer). You're just fear mongering like your beloved geezer McCain and that laughing stock Palin.

Liked
    2165 times

Club racing and HPDE are not a blip on the radar screen of national politics. Most people don't know they exist.
    Is that why I cannot register or get a green sticker for either my two-strokes and even my newest four-stroke motorcycle? If an off-road motorcycle can get on the radar, I am sure our track cars can, too.

Quit worrying. Obama is not going to steal your Corvette (or your beer). You're just fear mongering like your beloved geezer McCain and that laughing stock Palin.

Actually I never said who I was for. I did not label anyone a geezer or a marxist. I was expecting to have a serious discussion.

Liked
    1477 times

I am serious. You're worrying about the wrong thing.

Maybe you should worry that Obama will get elected and the economy will get going really great like it did when Clinton was president, and then the housing market in the Antelope Valley will get out of the crapper and prices will go up and the Huth family will sell Willow Springs to some developer who will demolish it to make another housing tract.

Liked
    2165 times

I am serious. You're worrying about the wrong thing.

Maybe you should worry that Obama will get elected and the economy will get going really great like it did when Clinton was president, and then the housing market in the Antelope Valley will get out of the crapper and prices will go up and the Huth family will sell Willow Springs to some developer who will demolish it to make another housing tract.
    Actually I am afraid that we may lose tracks to things like housing tracts and noise abatement.
    A track up north in Fresno never got built due to community environmental concerns.

I am concerned that environmental law will say we are indulging in a sport that cannot be tolerated any longer due to greenhouse gasses.
    If I cannot get an off-road license for my two-strokes any longer because of CARB and DMV regulations that came into effect about six years ago, how long can I expect to drive my race car? I can't even off-road license my new four-stroke.

I am concerned that contract interpretation and run-away jury verdicts may bankrupt our track day organizers and subsequently the tracks.
    I have anecdotal experience with the once great off-road parks, Saddleback, Indian Dunes and Escape Country, getting closed due lawsuits despite the waivers that were signed.

These are legitimate issues. I can list other concerns but I need to get to work right now....

Oli

PS. Regarding your retirement account, in 2009 you will likely be able to go back to your August valuation and put that equivalent value into Social Security so you are good to go. You might as well retire now as our two candidates are busting there ass bailing everyone out.

I think I overspent on my racing budget this year. I better call the senators in DC to make it right.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast