+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maxxis Victra RC-1 vs. Nitto NT-01

Liked
    5 times

Default Maxxis Victra RC-1 vs. Nitto NT-01

I have been using the Nitto NT-01 tires for several years on my Porsche 944S2. Full race build, but a stock engine.

I race with POC in a weight/hp class. If I make more hp I need to add weight. If I switch to a less than 100 treadwear tire (Hoosier R7 or Toyo RR)
    I need to add weight or I would be pushed to the bottom of the next faster class. Not where I want to be.

For the class I am currently running, the car's on track weight is about 2900 pounds. WSIR 1:35's

The Maxxis RC-1 comes in the same size I am using, 255/40-17, square setup on 9 inch wide wheels.

Does anyone have experience with these two tires?

I know the NT-01 tires go many heat cycles and still give good grip and they have good grip in the opening laps of a race.

How does the Maxxis compare?
    944S2

Liked
    662 times

I've used both on a Miata. From memory they both wear and heat cycle very similarly - both don't lose much over the life of the tire as long as it's not too long from the first cycle to the last. Grip is also very similar but I think NT-01s work better when it's hot.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Kam
    Liked
    82 times

My experience --

When to use the RC1 - NASA Time Trials or other venues with Maxxis contingency. Maxxis has a really good contingency payout.
    When to use the NT01 - In every other scenario.
    5.6lbs / whp -- 4.9lbs / bhp

Liked
    2091 times

weather > 85F - NT01 is better
    weather < 85F - RC1 is better
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    16 Cruze, free car !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR

Liked
    5 times

I guess I'll just stick with the NT 0-1 tires for now. My fastest lap ever at WSIR was a mid-morning qualifying session on a cold day in about 40-45 degree weather.

The Nitto tire has been around for many years. Pretty old design by now.

I'm just looking to see if there is anything of 100 or greater tread wear that would be a better performer.

Mostly 30 minute sprint races with a couple of 60 minute races a year.
    944S2

Liked
    4 times

If you want to remain in the same POC GT class and be faster you should just switch to Hoosier R7's and add the ballast. The ~100 pounds of added weight is not enough to overcome the superior grip of the Hoosier. The lower weight and >100 UTQG tire is a nice option for budget racers, but in reality no one is winning races in competitive GT classes on those tires. The bigger and more competitive classes (GT4, GT3) are won by guys on slicks (Yokohama or similar). These guys are usually shop supported and have done the testing, if the slower tire at a lighter weight was faster that's what they would be running. True slicks are a big jump in cost from the Nittos though and you would probably want to get 18" wheels. The Hoosiers are a happy medium if you don't mind buying tire 2-3x more often. The question really comes down to how much you can afford to spend on tires and how close you are to your competition. If you are within a couple of seconds, get the Hoosiers and close the gap.

Liked
    5 times

Cory,

My decision was made for me when I got the dyno sheet on my car and it came in lower hp this year vs. last year. My off track weight this year using R7's is 3 pounds less than last year when I used NT-01's.

I had a knee replacement last month and will miss the CFoS this weekend. I'm not quite ready yet, but have had a good recovery. I am planning on trying out the new knee next month at WSIR.
    944S2

+ Reply to Thread