+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Many drivers also like shooting sports...

Liked
    1720 times

Default Many drivers also like shooting sports...

New rules will make shooting sports more difficult to do. So here is an FYI that has been going around.

https://www.vetogunmageddon.org/
    SteveLevin and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2356 times

Here's the text of the bill, if anyone is interested in slogging through it. I went through most of it and here's what I took away: time to stock up on ammunition.

http://www.oag.ca.gov/system/files/i...earms%29_0.pdf

"Shoe"
    Liked
    590 times

California sucks. One thing to be happy about living in Florida.

Liked
    223 times

Asked earnestly - For those that are supportive of the premise that gun control and control of ammunition is necessary, what provisions in this bill are flawed?
    i.e. why should people NOT vote for this bill even if they're supportive of firearm control?

Disclosure: Not trying to stir up debate here on the premises of gun control but rather understand this specific bill from people who are more informed on the consequences than I am. And after that, go back to talking about racing cars.

Liked
    609 times

Sean,

By and far, my biggest concern is the precedent for taking of property that was legally purchased under the laws of the time.

After all, haven't we spoken of the dangers of global warming and pollution to the population of California, costing many lives and raising medical costs to epidemic levels?

This precedent could require the sale/surrender of, say, every diesel vehicle built before 2010. And every gas-powered vehicle that emits more than some limit on pollution, even if it is unmodified and continues to meet the standards for the time it was built.

there's more others can expound on, but, having now been involved for 5 years in a fight with the government to sell 100 acres located next to an existing quarry to that quarry in the desert, I'm a bit leery of anyone that puts "government takings" and "common sense" in the same sentence.

Steve

Liked
    1495 times

Aside from taking away legally purchased over 10 capacity magazines, what else is there?

Liked
    2528 times

Another BS new law is requiring so Called "assault weapon" to never be able to be sold (in california) or passed down to my kids.

These so called assault weapons do not have full auto, do not have +10 magazine, do not have capability of quick mag change. Only reason it is called assault weapon is looks.

If you apply the same logic to cars: all cars should be banned, because every car,sold currently can break speed limit. In fact 99% of cars made today go fast enough to make you a felon.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-05-2016 at 03:43 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2528 times

Most non gun person think you can:

A felon (can't, including many misderminor) can walk into a gun shop, and walk out (can't, need to wait 10 days and pass background check) with a fully automatic (can't, minimum 20 years for possession) AR15 with detachable (can't, require a tool to remove magazine) 30 rounds magazine (can't).

The new law will be on top of above to make us safer.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Another BS law is requiring so Called "assault weapon" to never be able to be sold (in california) or passed down to my kids.

These so called assault weapons do not have full auto, do not have +10 magazine, do not have capability of quick mag change. Only reason it is called assault weapon is looks.

If you apply the same logic to cars: all cars should be banned, because every car,sold currently can break speed limit. In fact 99% of cars made today go fast enough to make you a felon.
    Please just stop with the analogies and hyperbole. The amount of bull I've had to dig through to find out what's really going on is ridiculous, and I'm pro-gun.

Ok, so legally purchased >10 shot mags made illegal, and sale/inheritance of "assault weapons" (which is utter horse**** since its a ergonomic/cosmetic thing), and what else?

Liked
    1720 times

Rob,

With the new laws a browning hunting rifle with 5 round magazine is an assault weapon because the magazine detaches and is now illegal.

All prior legal semi-auto magazine feed rifles with bullet buttons will now be illegal to own.

Ammo will be severely limited and require unknown hoops to jump through to buy it like the dumb safety certificate you must have to buy a gun. Safety is not a bad thing but the way the government implements it is.

I shoot 9mm's competitively. I may shoot 1000 rounds a month plus another 1000 during a tournament. Compared to the guy who buys 1 box of 50 bullets to take his kid shooting once a year I look like a crazed maniac storing up an arsenal.

I also do shotgun sports and that shot shell ammo now also will be regulated. Even Dick Chaney could not kill his friend with bird shot. No one would use bird shot maliciously. Trap, skeet, and sporting clays are all clearly sports with sporting weapons like over and under 2 shot, shotguns and birdshot. It is so safe that if you go to Triple B shotgun range you shoot toward the freeway. A pellet from a shotgun just can't go that far.

These new laws are just violations of our civil rights under the guise of "safety theater."

Liked
    1495 times

So anything firing a rifle cartridge with a detachable magazine is now an assault weapon?

Limits on ammo? Now that's just dumb.

Liked
    1495 times

Now wait... I don't see any limits on quantity. It's just you'd have to be on the approved ammo buyer list, similar to buying a firearm. I guess the store might have to contact a database to check before completing the sale?

Tedious, pointless, but not exactly unexpected for california.

Liked
    2528 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Rob,

With the new laws a browning hunting rifle with 5 round magazine is an assault weapon because the magazine detaches and is now illegal.
    I don't believe that's coming yet.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2528 times

new ammo law is smart. because if I were a store, I would definitely charge a premium. I am not going to sell a box of ammo ($3-$20) for merely 10-30% margin if it involves ID check, background check. way too much work.

there is also gonna be a ban on internet sales of ammo. plus you can't sell ammo, not even to your friends (not in any quantity that is).
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-05-2016 at 07:01 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    new ammo law is smart. because if I were a store, I would definitely charge a premium. I am not going to sell a box of ammo ($3-$20) for merely 10-30% margin if it involves ID check, background check. way too much work.

there is also gonna be a ban on internet sales of ammo. plus you can't sell ammo, not even to your friends (not in any quantity that is).
    Well it is not a smart for users but it is a great law for ammo sellers/gun dealers. Every time one of these safety laws pass gun sales skyrocket. I stopped shooting for over 5 yrs when ammo prices skyrocketed with new laws and often times ammo was unobtainable. I got sucked back in as something to do with my 83 y/o father who loves to shoot competitively. The laws have gotten so draconian I don't know what will happen first, either my father will be too old to compete or ammo will be unavailable or too costly. Both events appear to be approaching quickly.

Liked
    1495 times

Roll your own

"Shoe"
    Liked
    590 times

I guess criminals and future terrorists will give up their guns to law enforcement just like law-abiding citizens?

So if semi-auto "Assault"-looking and short-barreled rifles are banned, criminals can still cause the same amount of destruction with a legal semi-auto pistol with a relatively easily attainable high round clip like this:

2d5203f4042ce6a65438e4e7a7ed4b8c.jpg

...so what's the point of this law?

Liked
    73 times

When do we start shooting? If not us, who? If not now, when?

Liked
    2356 times

The initiative comes in addition to laws just passed a month ago, one of which now prohibits ownership, not just sale or purchase, of magazines or guns with magazines with capacities of more than 10 in California.

The law signed last month, in effect, made me a criminal. I own a Beretta 92 FS, which came with two 15-round magazines, as do many 9 mm handguns. This isn't a high-capacity magazine. This is the factory capacity. The bill obviously was written by someone with a limited knowledge of handguns and their corresponding capacities. This appears to be part of a continuing creep of gun laws being passed in California. I know slippery slope is a fallacious argument, but all these laws and initiatives make me wonder what's next.

In my view, a high-capacity magazine for a handgun would be something that extended below the factory handgrip, something in excess of the factory specs. The photo Billy posted is a good, if not egregious, example of a high-capacity magazine. If I had a choice, I'd rather see the background checks for ammunition and amend the previous law to reflect factory specs for magazine capacities, but it's too late for that.

The "Safety for All Act 2016" is still not law. It will be on the November ballot along with many federal, state and local initiatives. I think this will be the most crowded ballot form where I live as far back as I can remember.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    590 times

It's not going to be a short-term solution and maybe the country as a whole is too far gone, but teaching your children and the young generation respect for guns and taking them to the range, join gun clubs, etc... is a good way to slowly spread the knowledge and respect for guns so the larger society has a better understanding of them rather than the masses having nothing but fear of the unknown.

It works for the Swiss... How's gun control working out for Mexico anyway?
    bawareca likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast