• 2 Post By Nurburgring
  • 2 Post By Loose Caboose
  • 1 Post By Richard EVO

Thread: Lotus Exige S as a track toy?

Liked
    111 times

Default Lotus Exige S as a track toy?

Any experiences?
    A friend of mine wants to trade my S2000 for his 2007 Exige S with 6.000 miles.
    The Honda is nice but it sucks as a street car, and as a track / weekend toy the Exige would probably be faster and more fun.
    I drove the Exige: Pulls harder, gearbox sucks, nice steering, stiffer suspension, faster responses. I like it. Will it hold frequent track use in stock form? Any significant issues to be aware of?
    Less powah is better

Liked
    15 times

A Lotus will hold up well and the consumables are very affordable. It is light weight so tires, brakes pads and rotors last pretty long.

The engine is fairly durable being a Toyota so engine parts are cheap and readily available. I think it is a great track car and would not hesitate in tracking one.

Check out the Lotus Talk forum for more information on them.

Liked
    97 times

It's the car I would buy for that purpose.. I've considered it many times.

The only downside I see is the fiberglas bodypanel clams. If you hit something, it's expensive to replace and takes some time versus a normal car bumper cover.. You can always take it to a boat shop though that does fiberglass repairs and get it patched up I assume.

Liked
    33 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    It's the car I would buy for that purpose.. I've considered it many times.

The only downside I see is the fiberglas bodypanel clams. If you hit something, it's expensive to replace and takes some time versus a normal car bumper cover.. You can always take it to a boat shop though that does fiberglass repairs and get it patched up I assume.
    Someone I knew sold theirs for this very reason. They became fearful of body damage and the cost associated. Otherwise they had no issues with theirs whiling tracking & autocrossing it pretty regularly.

Liked
    35 times

Why does the honda suck as a street car? A lotus is not the most street friendly car, though it wouldn't bother me.

Liked
    60 times

Does that year still have the fuel starvation issue of earlier Elise/Exiges? I know there was in-tank fix, but it wasn't cheap (due to needing to drop the tank).

Elise/Exige was the main car I considered next to an S2000, and the Honda being cheaper to repair/replace was primarily what tipped me that direction. I would still be tempted to get one as a pure track toy though.
    Follow my racing: https://www.youtube.com/ryandhouck
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race bike)
    2014 Triumph Street Triple R (street bike)
    2009 Honda S2000
    2008 BMW M3 (sold)

Liked
    115 times

I still think the Honda is the more comfortable street car/DD. They're both excellent track cars, though.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgring View Post
    The Honda is nice but it sucks as a street car
    Why do you say that? I love driving my S2000 on the street.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    111 times

Thanks for the comments.
    Decided to keep both, at least for a while, until I make up my mind on which I like the most.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Loose Caboose and rhouck like this.
    Less powah is better

Liked
    854 times

Lucky Dog . . .

Just like the President(s) of France. Multiple relationships can be better than one.

And, in the end, should monogamy prevail, you will be suitably certain after having generously shared your passion with two worthy candidates.
    2GRX7 and Nurburgring like this.

Liked
    1477 times

I didn't realize this until I went onto the Lotus Cars official website, but Lotus still makes the Elise and Exige. They just don't sell them in the USA anymore. You can still buy a new one in the UK, and probably a lot of other places. Our auto safety laws suck . . .
    hakeem likes this.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    15 times

Lotus' exemption ran out and they can no longer pass the frontal impact for DOT. It really sucks because these are great street and track cars. The new Exige V6 must be a real beast out on the track. You can still buy an Exige Cup car but I don't have any space for a trailer or truck.

Liked
    20 times

The Exige is a great track car... I've put many track miles on my '07 Exige S. I also have 2 2-Elevens that are exclusively track use.

There are a few modifications that are highly recommended for track use:

1) Replace the standard Toyota oil pan with a larger volume, baffled oil pan. There are a number of vendors that offer good products. The Toyota 2ZZ motor doesn't like even a momentary drop in oil pressure.

2) Replace the rear toe link bolt with a double-shear bolt and brace. The Exige S should already have the double-shear factory toe-link brace... even so, the bolts should be retorqued before track days.

3) Replace the older OEM fuel tank with the newer version, or a fuel cell. If you feel a weird lack of throttle response in long, high-G left-handers... you've got fuel starvation.

Those are the big three. There are other things that are less urgent, or just serve to improve performance.

Liked
    111 times

Quote Originally Posted by apk919 View Post
    1) Replace the standard Toyota oil pan with a larger volume, baffled oil pan. There are a number of vendors that offer good products. The Toyota 2ZZ motor doesn't like even a momentary drop in oil pressure.

2) Replace the rear toe link bolt with a double-shear bolt and brace. The Exige S should already have the double-shear factory toe-link brace... even so, the bolts should be retorqued before track days.

3) Replace the older OEM fuel tank with the newer version, or a fuel cell. If you feel a weird lack of throttle response in long, high-G left-handers... you've got fuel starvation.

Those are the big three. There are other things that are less urgent, or just serve to improve performance.

I somehow missed your reply. I was planning on 1 and 3 before moving to slicks. Regarding 2, yes, mine has the Track Pack so it does have the brace, I will check and retorque. Thanks.

Took it to the track for the first time. Car is very fun to drive. I would take it over a stockish S2000 for track use without a doubt (and yes I realize it is an unfair comparison). I did miss the presence of a LSD coming out of slow corners (1 wheel spin) and the gearbox feel is not really that good. Otherwise it was very close to perfection: the steering, the brakes, the suspension, and also the engine... Im in love.
    Less powah is better

Liked
    1477 times

Replace the car with an Alfa Romeo 4C . . .

Liked
    111 times

The Alfa looks promising, but Id rather let others be the guinea pig for reliability. And they are asking USD 80k for one over here.
    Less powah is better

+ Reply to Thread