+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Lots of FRS Available Now

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    They have, its called the Honda S2000. Comes with a drop top and a better driving experience, too.
    Unfortunately, you can't buy a new one anymore . . .

In all fairness, the S2K was more of a $35K new car at the end of its run, compared to $25K for the FRS. If you spent $10K improving the FRS, I think it would kick the S2K's a$$. And I prefer a coupe. Convertibles suck.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 05-04-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    72 times

what do used ones go for?
    Turn your iphone into an action camera:
    www.igloocase.com
    www.facebook.com/igloocase.com

Liked
    140 times

at the speedway on sunday, I lost count how many FRS were doing drift/autocross. If you were a male under 30 with gold chain you had an FRS sunday. Also there is Robbi so much for demographics...
    Last edited by granth; 05-06-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Liked
    977 times

FRS is the new Civic.
    emilio700 and krazik like this.

Liked
    143 times

There was also a bunch of them at Chuckwalla on Sunday.

I think the FRS is the popular car now mainly because it just doesn't have any competition at its price. However car companies are rushing to build equally prices competitors. I remember when Scion started selling the cheap toaster shaped cars. They were a big hit. Now practically every import car brand has a toaster car and sales of the Scion version have plummeted.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    I remember when Scion started selling the cheap toaster shaped cars. They were a big hit. Now practically every import car brand has a toaster car and sales of the Scion version have plummeted.
    Plus the fact that the Scion made the "toaster" car bigger and more expensive.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Unfortunately, you can't buy a new one anymore . . .

In all fairness, the S2K was more of a $35K new car at the end of its run, compared to $25K for the FRS. If you spent $10K improving the FRS, I think it would kick the S2K's a$$. And I prefer a coupe. Convertibles suck.
    A better way to look at it is, compare a used s2k ($20k) to a new BRZ. The s2k is more reliable, less money and built about a thousand times better (double a-arm suspension vs stamped McPherson strut, alignment adjustment, easy to service, rigid chassis, etc).

Plus you have 5k for mods which could easily make the car 6 sec faster a lap at BW.
    Last edited by JJ1; 05-06-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    krazik likes this.

Liked
    19 times

I have had my FRS for 3/4 months and narrowed it down finally to the FRS and S2K. Initially I was cross shopping with a short list of 46 M3, Rx8, S2K, FRS and keeping an open mind for the e36 M3, NB. My goal is a DD that I will optimize and can take all the beatings I can throw at it (Ie. 30 min in heat, all day long). I have driven all of the above and much more in anger except the e46 M3 and was coming from a do it all 8th generation Civic Si sedan. Ill give you guys some of my thoughts relative to the s2000. Short notes: both are great cars, closely matched and IMO no one would be settling with either. If I could have both, I would take both. I would take both over an exige in fact.

Basic Impressions:

The Civic and S2000 both have a sweeter driveline: engine sounds better, has more personality throughout the RPM band and shifts are smoother in both. Mind you the FRS shifter is still better then 98% of the cars out there, very similar to the STi. I like the induction tube personally and suspect that with an exhaust I won't be able to hear the rough boxer engine anymore.
    The interior is relatively spartan, the S2000 and Rx8 both have nicer interiors but that is appropriate for the car's price point. I honestly was expecting something pretty terrible after reading all the complaints but I find the interior more than sufficient for my needs. The important aspects that you are in contact with all feel really good, nice and beefy steering wheel, nice shifter, red stitching..etc. The stock seats are great and supposedly relatively supportive but I am used to a bucket in my DD so they don't seem like anything special to me. The seating position is puuurfect, low and everything falls to hand, better than the S2000 and more adjustable to more different sized people. The car has decent torque down low, easier to drive around town than the s2000. Back seats are useless unless you are 5 feet tall, I use them to store my helmet/groceries. The car gets much better mileage than the s2000 and Im guessing consumables and maintenance is basically a wash. Overall the FRS is much more DD friendly and while the trunk is about 2/3 the size of my civic, the car has more utility and less road noise than the s2000. Thus its a bit more of a realistic "only" car.

Performance:
    The engine is nice and willing to rev but has an annoying torque dip between 4000-5000rpm. Mind you with a decent header and a tune you can pick up over 45 lb/ft there in the midrange which is fantastic. I miss having the vtec kick though. Brakes come from the +600lb wrx so they hold up better than the weak honda brakes (I know all about weak honda brakes) and last a bit longer. I will be going to AP Sprint Kit as priority number one (-10lb per corner!). Both have excellent and precise steering but the FRS gives loads more feedback through the wheel and this is pretty much where I was sold on the car. To be frank, the car has a lot of small details that someone without a decent amount of seat time might not notice but the low CG, minimal body roll and excellent steering really do it for me. So I suspect a lot of people who get this car cannot appreciate the best parts of it, similar to what happened when people were ordering ITR's back in the day as the "best" Acura and were dissapointed with essentially a homologation special that was too loud and aggressive.

Both cars are very fun to drive. I never found either the AP1 or AP2 to have vicious "snap oversteer" but I prefer my cars to rotate aggressively and try to kill me rather than punish me with terminal understeer. In that sense, both of these cars will readily rotate but the FRS is easier to maintain slip angle in and is more stable than the "needs a wing at higher speed tracks" s2000. The FRS is a bit lighter, around 80lb if I recall.

The aftermarket for this car has been developing more aggressively than anything I have ever seen with many new parts coming out daily. The car has been already boosted every which way and no one has been to blow one up yet unless you consider impoper tuning. The fullblown turbo car is currently running +600whp with over 160 dyno runs, countless street sessions and they will keep turning it up to see the limit of the driveline. All that car has is a clutch, bone stock motor and transmission. Some of the track guys have seen CEL's, can't remember why and there is the idle droop which I have seen personally but don't really care, my civic did something similar. Speaking of which, the e-throttle tuning on this car is the best I have ever felt, it is miles ahead of the civic with better response and much more precision. Feels like I can adjust every 2% of throttle instead of 5% on the civic and AP2. Quite a few people have both cars and enjoy them both with the FRS being just as fast or a tad slower on the big tracks where the extra 40hp of the s2k makes a difference.

Personally, I think less 100lb or so and adding 30-40whp with NA boltons will make the car perfect and very quick for track work. Add brakes, suspension and an oil cooler and it will take a beating all day, be cheap to run and extremely fun. A bit early to say but it seems the car will be easier to make power naturally aspirated than the S2000.

To sum up:
    In the end, an s2000 that I would be happy with (AP2, white, red interior and bone stock with maintenance history) would cost me just as much as the FRS and would not be new. The s2000 is a better driver's car and a better toy but as an overall/DD vehicle its not ideal. I wanted to support this initiative by Subaru/Toyota because I believe we need more competition in this segment. I also wanted a DD with "some" utility, decent mileage and waited to confirm that the aftermarket would pick up the car well (unlike something like the Rx8). The car reminds me of an everyman, modern e30 M3 that is just faster and cheaper. Basically, what is the opposite of buyer's remorse? Because that is what I have!
    Last edited by heelntoe; 05-06-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    newold_m likes this.

Liked
    60 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    The only "issue" I am aware of is NOT ENOUGH HP!

No, they haven't fixed that . . .
    Injector seal failures at low mileage with no actual "fix" -- just a replacement. Engine seems fragile. It will be interesting to see what other issues crop up over the next 2-3 years.
    Follow my racing: https://www.youtube.com/ryandhouck
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race bike)
    2014 Triumph Street Triple R (street bike)
    2009 Honda S2000
    2008 BMW M3 (sold)

Liked
    143 times

I saw a white FRS at Chuckwalla with what I was told was a blown motor. Don't know whos it was or what specifically broke.

Unfortunately Scion is not a true representation of Toyota reliability. Lexus is how all Toyotas were built in the 1980s and 90s. Now lexus gets the good stuff, Toyota gets the ok parts, and scions are built as cheaply as possible.

Lexus ranks 1st in JD Powers initial Quality Study, Toyota is 8th. Subaru is 19th and scion all the way down to 23rd.

I think it's way too early to tell if the FRS has the durability of an S2000.
    pucsicsal, bawareca and rhouck like this.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Andrews View Post
    what do used ones go for?
    over it already?

OJR
    Liked
    102 times

Saying the FRS is a Scion is like saying the Geo Tracker is a Chevy.
    Just a guy racing stuff. #GetSickTour
    Facebook Instagram

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2398 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    I think it's way too early to tell if the FRS has the durability of an S2000.
    Based on what I have seen and been privy to, the 86 is not nearly as solid as the S2000. I think that will change though. My guess is the 2014 will be a much improved car in terms of reliability and robustness.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    42 times

I've been seeing a lot on the roads down here.

Honestly, I still like the looks and powertrain but can't get over the horrendous ride, numb steering and the fact that I can spend $11k and have one hell of an E36 M3 with actual steering feel and a comfortable ride versus financing $25k and needing to spend a few extra grand making the car exactly what I'd like.

I find it mildly intriguing that I seem to be one of the few people who actually dislikes the steering of the FR-S and considers it anesthetized. Yeah, the car goes where you point it but it does so with all the liveliness of a car in Gran Turismo.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by SOneThreeCoupe View Post
    I can spend $11k and have one hell of an E36 M3
    I'm not sure about that. I sold mine for close to $30k and it was still on stock brakes and engine, but had everything else done pretty well including safety equipment.

Liked
    366 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    I'm not sure about that. I sold mine for close to $30k and it was still on stock brakes and engine, but had everything else done pretty well including safety equipment.
    Most people's idea of a nice FD doesn't include a 3-rotor engine in it. lol.

Your idea of a "hell of a" probably is in a different class ($$$$$) than others
    bellwilliam likes this.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    855 times

Quote Originally Posted by SOneThreeCoupe View Post
    I've been seeing a lot on the roads down here.

Honestly, I still like the looks and powertrain but can't get over the horrendous ride, numb steering and the fact that I can spend $11k and have one hell of an E36 M3 with actual steering feel and a comfortable ride versus financing $25k and needing to spend a few extra grand making the car exactly what I'd like.

I find it mildly intriguing that I seem to be one of the few people who actually dislikes the steering of the FR-S and considers it anesthetized. Yeah, the car goes where you point it but it does so with all the liveliness of a car in Gran Turismo.
    "$25K" plus about 10% for sales tax, delivery charges, etc. I'm guessing $28K.

Liked
    97 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    "$25K" plus about 10% for sales tax, delivery charges, etc. I'm guessing $28K.
    I bought my 2007 BMW 328 coupe fully loaded sport package 6spd etc. in 2010 with 15k miles and CPO warranty for the same price...

Does Scion have CPO program?

Liked
    855 times

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Judging from the Autotrader write-up, the car has never been tracked, since it doesn't say "never been tracked." I think if you could get it for $24K, it would be worth it. Otherwise, overpriced.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast