+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By emilio700
  • 2 Post By WarrenV

Thread: This looks pretty cool to me

Liked
    704 times

Default This looks pretty cool to me

I've never seen the MEV Exocet before and not even sure how I ended up on their website. Site says you can build it without even needing to weld. They even offer a fully caged version for racing. Looks like fun to me.

MEV Exocet

mev_exocet_4-320x180.jpg
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    3 times

Looks like the bastard child of a Lotus 7 and an Ariel Atom.
    '05 Lotus Elise
    '16 Porsche Cayman GT4

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
    Not the prettiest car I'll agree but it looks like a pretty cheap and easy way to run a tube chassis with a Miata drive train and suspension. And they weigh around 1400 pounds.

Liked
    2243 times

I love the idea, but the car hurts my eyes.

Liked
    70 times

Quote Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
    looks more like the aborted child of a caterham 7 and ariel atom
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    704 times

The non-caged versions look better, more like an Atom, but I'd want the cage.

mev_exocet_1-320x180.jpg

Liked
    51 times

The look of their other kit cars is a bit better. In the video, this one looks like a big 2 person go kart...oh wait, that is basically what it is.

Liked
    142 times

it's ugly!
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2398 times

Positively gruesome. Honestly, I take the looks of that car as a general treatise on the elegance of engineering solutions therein. The roll bar is an non-triangulated style bar.
    Elsewhere I'd expect ugly, poorly engineered brackets, redundancies, lackadaisical packaging. Maybe it's a marvel of economical and efficient engineering but my expectations would start rather low after seeing it 50/50.

Did I mention it was fugly?
    katc10 likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    704 times

Okay, so they're ugly. I wonder if you could bolt a fiberglass Miata body over the ugliness. I guess I'll just have to learn to weld.

I'd still like to drive one.

Liked
    704 times

My dream might become a reality - at least one of my dreams. This was posted on a Miata forum by Brian Goodwin in a thread about Miata based kit cars.

There is one new effort that has been in the works for more than a year that shows some promise of delivering something that I think track day enthusiasts will like (similar to what Red 5 is suggesting at the top of the page) . Can't reveal much about it yet other than to say they hope to have production this Spring with your choice of all carbon or fiberglass exterior, modern full clean unique body work (not an effort to look like anything else we have seen), full tube frame, lots of cool CNC machine chassis bits to make the whole thing a bolt together, no welding required, a result of 1500 pounds finished, made in the USA, etc. Hopefully we see their completed effort this Spring....

MX-5 Miata Forum - View Single Post - Any market for Miata based kit cars?

My post mentioned in Brian's:

Factory Five just showed the winning design for there mid-engine WRX powered car that's supposed to be able to be completed for around $15k.
    I would love to see something similar based on a Miata. I'd want a version that could have a cage built around the cockpit so it could be raced on track. Given the design of the PPF, building a tube chassis shouldn't be that difficult - for those that can weld. Add a fiberglass body with decent aero that can be easily replaced and are a reasonable price. . . this is something I've been thinking about for over a year. If I could only weld . . .

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Positively gruesome. Honestly, I take the looks of that car as a general treatise on the elegance of engineering solutions therein. The roll bar is an non-triangulated style bar.
    Elsewhere I'd expect ugly, poorly engineered brackets, redundancies, lackadaisical packaging. Maybe it's a marvel of economical and efficient engineering but my expectations would start rather low after seeing it 50/50.

Did I mention it was fugly?
    Hey Emilio,

Sorry to drag up an ancient post, but I am quite curious about what you think about the new American Exocet chassis design. We're trying to get feedback from the community and industry leaders, and well, I've installed a few 949 parts and have been following your exploits for a while. Please dig in hard, as the new manufacturing process is quite flexible and ready for improvements, and I want this car to be the best sub-$10k exocar possible. We may not have fixed the fugly just yet, but hopefully that won't be an issue when you're enjoying it as intended.

Here's the reveal: GRM Exclusive Reveal: Exocet Spec-A: Grassroots Motorsports forum: Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

-Warren
    Exomotive Design Engineer
    robburgoon and Loose Caboose like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2398 times

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenV View Post
    Hey Emilio,

Sorry to drag up an ancient post, but I am quite curious about what you think about the new American Exocet chassis design. We're trying to get feedback from the community and industry leaders, and well, I've installed a few 949 parts and have been following your exploits for a while. Please dig in hard, as the new manufacturing process is quite flexible and ready for improvements, and I want this car to be the best sub-$10k exocar possible. We may not have fixed the fugly just yet, but hopefully that won't be an issue when you're enjoying it as intended.

Here's the reveal: GRM Exclusive Reveal: Exocet Spec-A: Grassroots Motorsports forum: Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

-Warren
    Exomotive Design Engineer
    Thanks for joining the forum and chiming in. Fantastic for someone directly linked to the Exocet posting here.

We're in the midst of last minute prep (buried!) for the Thunderhill 25 hours so, forgive me for skimming the new info. It appears that I was perhaps not the only one that felt there was room for additional refinement of the design referred to in the original post here. The current revisions look to be a major step in the right direction. The space frame in the GRM post is something I would drive or race now. Anxious to see what the community comes up with for bodywork design.
    With the release of the Catfish and FF 818 mentioned here, the market now has really interesting choices. That choice will no doubt push each factory to elevate their designs. Rising tide elevates all boats
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1486 times

Warren,

What has been done regarding the engineering of crumple zones to spread off crash energy? There are so many awesome advantages to lightness on track. The problem is that a small light car has to share the track with 4000lb vipers and caddy CTSV's and 3500lb vettes and BMW's.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Thanks for joining the forum and chiming in. Fantastic for someone directly linked to the Exocet posting here.

We're in the midst of last minute prep (buried!) for the Thunderhill 25 hours so, forgive me for skimming the new info. It appears that I was perhaps not the only one that felt there was room for additional refinement of the design referred to in the original post here. The current revisions look to be a major step in the right direction. The space frame in the GRM post is something I would drive or race now. Anxious to see what the community comes up with for bodywork design.
    With the release of the Catfish and FF 818 mentioned here, the market now has really interesting choices. That choice will no doubt push each factory to elevate their designs. Rising tide elevates all boats
    Best of luck on defending your title! I saw the crew-wanted post on your Facebook; if I wasn't all the way over in Atlanta you'd have another volunteer. I know from Formula SAE how precious pre-competition time can be, so thanks for giving the reveal a skim. We're very happy to hear your appreciation for the work that went into the design; one of my success criteria was actually to make it good enough to change your mind. Your point about the evolving market is absolutely right. The hype for the Catfish and 818 really underscores the American market's hunger for good engineering, high performance, and excellent looks. Our goal for this new chassis is to nail those first two points at the everyman pricepoint (~$10k on the road).

fatbillybob
    Warren,

What has been done regarding the engineering of crumple zones to spread off crash energy? There are so many awesome advantages to lightness on track. The problem is that a small light car has to share the track with 4000lb vipers and caddy CTSV's and 3500lb vettes and BMW's.
    I don't know about those 4k lb Vipers , but impact attenuation is definitely one of our concerns. As for now, the "Sport" and "Race" trim are designed for open track days, rental track days, HPDE events, autocross, and as a good platform to build a time attack car. Wheel-to-wheel racing is a bit more serious and will result in big impacts, especially in cars that should be treated as open-wheel. For this, we are planning an Exocet "Cup" car. We are working towards introducing a US spec series analogous to the UK's MX150R series, and those cars will have a bit more impact structure.

While we do not yet have real-world crash data to back this up, I might as well summarize the design methodology behind the safety features:

The front subframe ties in at three levels in the chassis and is a highly stressed member, as such we consider it to be a "hard" zone to stay in the same position relative to the passenger cell. Forward of that, we have the two major arc tubes which, with their self-contained triangulation tubes, effectively become two simple curved surfaces forward of the front subframe mounts. To this end, there is no gusseting or triangulation other than the frontmost transverse tubes loaded in bending. In a frontal impact, these should give way in a more-or-less progressive manner (after popping the radiator). We got this idea after seeing pictures of this failure mode in action during two Exocet frontal (and frontal offset) crashes in the UK. The cup car will have a little bit of room up front to place a couple of replaceable curved bumper tubes inside the nose piece for a little extra impact protection.

For side impact, the distance between the front and rear tires is about 65 inches. The suspension will take some energy in an impact, but a sidepod crash structure would be very beneficial in the cup car. In any case, I would recommend using a halo-type seat for trackdays. You're going to get bruised in a side impact, but the strength of the driver cell and shape of the main arc tubes should provide at least as much protection as a Miata, especially before their doors were reinforced.

Rear impact is significantly improved with a much stronger and triangulated rear bulkhead and a tied-in rollbar. Rear subframe intrusion is a worry, the two rear rollbar downtubes have loadpaths through the rear tophat mount box into the subframe mounting tube. These downtubes also "shadow" the volume of a 10gal fuel cell in the event of another car climbing up the back. That cell should be placed far forward in the rear cover for consistent weight distribution at different fuel levels, and we are going to try to include mount holes for Summit's 10gal cell on the new mounts for the Miata tank (not pictured in the renders but will be available on all cars). In the cup car, the rear subframe mount tubes will allow for a replaceable steel tube rear bumper to slip over them and mount up securely.

Rollover protection was a HUGE focus in the design, and that is pretty much self-explanatory from the pictures. We have eliminated the style bar option in the US.

The flexible assembly and weld process design allows us to evolve the car over time and add features that customers want, and any input from you trackday guys is incredibly valuable to us. Any ideas on how to improve the design, things we might have overlooked, or other suggestions will be taken with gratitude. This car may be very affordable, but there's no reason to make it "cheap".
    Last edited by WarrenV; 12-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread