+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Looking to go W2W racing this year

  1. #21
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    1,892
    Liked
    1486 times

    Default

    Don't start racing! Your life will be ruined from there on out. Racing is a high maintenance "super hot" girlfriend you know is not good for you. One hit on the crackpipe and you are done.
    katc10, emilio700, Red_5 and 1 others like this.

  2. #22
    Senior Member ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    2" off your rear desk
    Posts
    629
    Liked
    58 times

    Default

    i vote for a C5 T1 vette... cal club is gridding 10 cars.. and its easy to flip between t1 and ST2.. ST2 looks like they gridded 11 for some races last year.. i don't feel that ST2 competition is worthy of the aero advantages that you can slap on... i personally believe that if all of our cars (me, oli, kyle) would have held up for nationals 2 yrs ago in utah we could have gone 123.

    plus, its changed a bit, but TTS hoosier contingencies kept me flushed with tires in 2010.. looks like last year they got about 5 cars at a lot of the events

    honestly the c5 takes a beating and i averaged a trans and diff every 2 years.

    if only you could find a good car with new shocks, rebuilt diff, new quaife, new brakes, rebuilt trans and a brand spanking new crate motor...

    oh wait... theres one in my garage matching that description for sale right now.

    signed,
    2010 SoCal TTS Champion
    WSIR T1 Track Record Holder
    BW #1 TTS Track Record Holder
    ACS TTS Track Record Holder
    WSIR TTS Track Record Holder

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    I can see T1 Corvette being a good choice for your first W2W race car. It's a lot faster than SM with a lot less crashes. Kinda expensive on consumables, but then none of us are laboring under the misunderstanding that racing is a cheap hoppy.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  4. #24
    Philosoraptor LagunaBlueS2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Glendale, California, United States
    Posts
    242
    Liked
    41 times

    Default

    Do you have a link to the for sale thread? I will be ready to move in April. If you still have it, I'll definitely be interested. GLWS in any event!

    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    i vote for a C5 T1 vette... cal club is gridding 10 cars.. and its easy to flip between t1 and ST2.. ST2 looks like they gridded 11 for some races last year.. i don't feel that ST2 competition is worthy of the aero advantages that you can slap on... i personally believe that if all of our cars (me, oli, kyle) would have held up for nationals 2 yrs ago in utah we could have gone 123.

    plus, its changed a bit, but TTS hoosier contingencies kept me flushed with tires in 2010.. looks like last year they got about 5 cars at a lot of the events

    honestly the c5 takes a beating and i averaged a trans and diff every 2 years.

    if only you could find a good car with new shocks, rebuilt diff, new quaife, new brakes, rebuilt trans and a brand spanking new crate motor...

    oh wait... theres one in my garage matching that description for sale right now.

    signed,
    2010 SoCal TTS Champion
    WSIR T1 Track Record Holder
    BW #1 TTS Track Record Holder
    ACS TTS Track Record Holder
    WSIR TTS Track Record Holder

  5. #25
    Spec Backhoe Champion redtopz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,229
    Liked
    981 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LagunaBlueS2k View Post
    Do you have a link to the for sale thread? I will be ready to move in April. If you still have it, I'll definitely be interested. GLWS in any event!
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

  6. #26
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Do it Laguna Blue. You will get a hearty, warm and helpful welcome from all the other T1 racers. We have a great community of drivers.


    Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    152
    Liked
    12 times

    Default

    Good to hear that you're not selling the S, Rob! My guess is that you'll miss it if you cut it loose. Mike Park and I have debated which car would make the most sense to move onto after an S, and a vette seems like a logical progression. The fact that it would be a nice throwback to your college days with the SS Camaro is a bonus!
    AP1 S2000 w/KW V3s on 255 RS3s (square setup)

  8. #28
    Philosoraptor LagunaBlueS2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Glendale, California, United States
    Posts
    242
    Liked
    41 times

    Default

    Thanks for the kind welcome Oli.

    I came to the same conclusion, Zuck. S is a fun time trial car, and I'm sure it would be fun to W2W, just not interested in throwing any more money into the car. At this point, I can sell the S and basically buy a T1 Corvette with the proceeds. It makes financial sense (so I'll tell myself). Thanks again to everyone for your input!


    - Robert

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LagunaBlueS2k View Post
    Thanks for the kind welcome Oli.

    I came to the same conclusion, Zuck. S is a fun time trial car, and I'm sure it would be fun to W2W, just not interested in throwing any more money into the car. At this point, I can sell the S and basically buy a T1 Corvette with the proceeds. It makes financial sense (so I'll tell myself). Thanks again to everyone for your input!


    - Robert
    Are you sure you can buy a race-prepped T1 C5 Z06 for what you can sell your S2K for? I seriously doubt that.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  10. #30
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Are you sure you can buy a race-prepped T1 C5 Z06 for what you can sell your S2K for? I seriously doubt that.
    A T1 car costs about $30k, plus or minus about $5k. A $25k car will usually need a bit a work, it might have a higher mileage engine and/or tranny and GM shocks. A $35k car will have a nicer seat, fresher engine/tranny, extra sets of wheels, better fire system, Penske Triple Adjustables, etc.


    Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    If you are willing to pay $30K for any S2K, I have a bridge you might be interested in.
    katc10 likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  12. #32
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    1,892
    Liked
    1486 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    A T1 car costs about $30k, plus or minus about $5k. A $25k car will usually need a bit a work, it might have a higher mileage engine and/or tranny and GM shocks. A $35k car will have a nicer seat, fresher engine/tranny, extra sets of wheels, better fire system, Penske Triple Adjustables, etc.


    Oli
    You are a bit low. Ronson sold his roller with no engine and needing body work for $25K plus some spares and 3 sets of wheels iirc.

  13. #33
    Philosoraptor LagunaBlueS2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Glendale, California, United States
    Posts
    242
    Liked
    41 times

    Default

    I'm certainly not expecting 30k for my S2k. I was thinking low to mid 20s. Its an 07 with 16xxx miles on it. I'm the original owner.

    I was figuring the Vette would cost around 25k, but obviously I will need to raise the budget a little bit. I could certainly come up with cash if necessary, just hoping its not much more than 5k out of pocket.

  14. #34
    Chest hair required Olitho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Liked
    2165 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    You are a bit low. Ronson sold his roller with no engine and needing body work for $25K plus some spares and 3 sets of wheels iirc.
    A new crate engine is only $3,500 and Ronson's car had the best of everything, Penske triples, Jongbloed wheels and more. So put a new engine and coolers on his car for a total of $5k including labor you still have a $5k budget for bodywork. His car was a $35k car in my opinion.


    Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

  15. #35
    Co Owner of Weekend-Racer John Mueller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    200
    Liked
    67 times

    Default

    I'm biased but whatever car you choose or have there is a class in NASA that it will fit in as it sits... Attend a NASA event as a spectator to check out how the weekend runs and see value that comes with it. Walk around and chat with the drivers, volunteers and SoCal NASA officials to get their take on the classes they run in and the pros & cons of it. Spec Miata is cool but so is Spec E30 & Honda Challenge (HC), German Touring Cars is bad ass, and so is Camero Mustang Challenge (CMC), and as a catch all the Performance Touring (PT) is pretty well balanced between very different kinds cars.

    IMHO, NASA is the way to go unless you are thinking of going open wheel.
    --------------------
    Thanks,
    John
    NASA SM National Director
    http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
    #13 House Garage-built & Prepped Mid-Pack 1.6 SM / PTE / E3 Miata

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Mueller View Post
    I'm biased but whatever car you choose or have there is a class in NASA that it will fit in as it sits... Attend a NASA event as a spectator to check out how the weekend runs and see value that comes with it. Walk around and chat with the drivers, volunteers and SoCal NASA officials to get their take on the classes they run in and the pros & cons of it. Spec Miata is cool but so is Spec E30 & Honda Challenge (HC), German Touring Cars is bad ass, and so is Camero Mustang Challenge (CMC), and as a catch all the Performance Touring (PT) is pretty well balanced between very different kinds cars.

    IMHO, NASA is the way to go unless you are thinking of going open wheel.
    I think we just found our new Mr. NASA, now that Ed (bueller) is racing with SCCA.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  17. #37
    Senior Member robburgoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,853
    Liked
    1429 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I think we just found our new Mr. NASA, now that Ed (bueller) is racing with SCCA.
    Well, he IS the national SM director for NASA.

  18. #38
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,188
    Liked
    704 times

    Default

    I went with NASA PTE based on the rules. My car already had parts I couldn't use in SCCS ITS. Also they have weird rules forcing you to run narrow wheels rather than specing a tire width. I'm far from Mr NASA but I think they do their best to equalize cars in PT.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Liked
    1477 times

    Default

    You can't optimize a car to run in more than one class.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

    2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rolling Hills Estates
    Posts
    2,948
    Liked
    854 times

    Default

    What are you, some kind of frustrated accountant or masculinity challenged homo (or both)?

    (Just joking, Rob. Couldn't help myself)
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 02-23-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    hakeem and LagunaBlueS2k like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts