+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Looking to go W2W racing this year

Liked
    24 times

Default Looking to go W2W racing this year

Looking for some opinions.

I'm thinking about selling my S2000 for a purpose built W2W car.

I did the math and figure the cost of converting my S2000 to a purpose built track car with cage, fire safety, fuel cell, etc.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to sell my S2000 and buy a car that is done. I'm not sure how well my S2k would class as well.

I am considering an early 2000s Panoz GTS or GTRA. I've done a little bit of research, and it seems like a trade up in a lot of respects. It seems like a very descent and reliable setup. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Liked
    1142 times

What class(es) do you want to race? It all starts with that declaration.

Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    24 times

I'm thinking ST2. Thanks for the response.

Liked
    1142 times

There are a lot of cars that can race ST2.

I am clearly biased, but some of the fastest cars, and the winningest cars, in ST2 are the C5 Corvettes. A good T1 car can win this weekend at NASA ST2 and then race and win next weekend at a SCCA National T1 race. Without wings and with a $3,500 crate engine those cars will do 1:26 at WSIR, 1:45 at ACS and 1:18 at SoWS.

Oli

Liked
    24 times

I have also considered a T1 Corvette. I honestly was a little concerned about the consumables on the car. Nonetheless, they seem like a fairly reliable and fast platform. It appears the cost is very similar to the Panoz as well.

Liked
    1142 times

I don't know much about the Panoz, but you will be pretty much locked into ST2 racing. I am not sure where else you can race one.

How fast is the Panoz? I would like to see one go fast. I have seen Panoz's on several occassions, but they have all been terribly slow. I am sure they can go fast, but the ones I have seen were not....

Liked
    144 times

Why not an E36 M3 in GTS3/IP/E0? They are fun cars.
    Billy Johnson: www.billyjohnsonracing.com & http://user.streetfire.net/profile/BillyJohnson.htm

Driver - Roush Fenway Racing

FX Motorsports Development - 8X Overall Time Attack Champion & Track Record Holder (Laguna Seca, Long Beach, BW, WSIR, CMP, Spring Mountain, ACS, LVMS)

Performance Friction Brakes - KW Suspension - WPC Treatment - OS Giken - CP Pistons - Carillo Rods

Liked
    629 times

There's spec miata. Your best bet if you want stiff competition. With the fact that there will be cars racing you comes a contact budget. Also you'll have to deal with class leaders like Grant that believe someone passing several rows of cars with his brakes locked up in his first ever race is safe driving. Fortunately, Grant's opinion is not the be all end all.

First you gotta ask yourself, what do you want from w2w? Do you want to drive a caged car fast and for fun? Any class will do. Do you want racecraft? If so, you gotta choose a class that is packed. A class with 6 cars usually means you'll only see other cars in your class on the start. The rest of it you will be turning laps and trying not to interfere with cars in different classes. Look for a consistent minimum of 10 cars per event. That's a BAD turnout for SM in socal.

If you just want to turn laps, don't bother with racing, it's cheaper to just do track days unless there is contingency money you can exploit by winning consistently.

Cost wise, consumables go up exponentially (or at least dramatically) with weight and power.

If I were you, do this. Keep your S2K. Apply to SCCA for a license waiver based on SV red experience. Then apply to NASA using your SCCA license. Then rent a thunder roadster and enter it in PTA and STR2 races. That will tell you more about what kind of car and class you want to race in, and if w2w is for you.

In short, DONT SELL YOUR S2K YET!!!
    "I have five different tools to measure whether something is level. All of them disagree. One of them is telling me that my car is undamaged and symmetrical. I like its story the best."

Follow "Rob Burgoon Racing" on facebook.

Liked
    757 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Why not an E36 M3 in GTS3/IP/E0? They are fun cars.
    GTS3 is non existent in SoCal, last year there was a single competitor about 15 seconds off my pace for some of the races. IP and BMWCCA also seems to be having some trouble as people move to where the contingency $ is. I've been researching this alot. Also the cost of getting a good IP car either prepped or bought is quite high relative to what you get (IMO).

ST2 is a very active class in SoCal (29 different participants in 2011) and ultimately where I also decided to race. Gotta go where the competition is in your area.

Liked
    325 times

Rent a miata or RX7 and do the SCCA super school at BRP in March. The rental will run around $1000 and the school is only $400. You'll get over 8 hours of track time in 3 days. Plus you get to race in the Sunday regional for free.

Then you can decide what car you want.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    #03 P.A. Construction Corvette

Brought to you by:
    P.A. Construction (562) 458-0439
    Alvaka Networks Inc. (877) NOC-NOC4
    RPM Motors Inc. (888) 775-5391
    Race Keeper (571) 203-1420
    Run Cool (804) 355-1758

Liked
    1159 times

plus 1 what Jim and Rob said. do a couple of races and/or race school before deciding what car / class you want to race in. you will then get a better bearing.

90% of classes are non-existent, less than 5 competitors. where 2 are 5 seconds off pace, 2 are 2 seconds off pace, that you never see them in either qualifying or race. you get to race 1 person if you are lucky. then he/her won't show up 1/2 of the time.

in club racing, skill level are all over the map. in S2K Challenge, you compete against other S2K in red group. in club racing, you will be competing against other s2k in all groups. so if you only have 5 competitors, their skill level are more varied.

here is an older thread you might want to read up:
    How to go racing for Trackhq dummies
    99 SuperMiata
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    13 Volt, 100whp
    14 Spark EV, 400 ft/lb
    96 NSX
    74 X1/9, 61whp

Liked
    367 times

As a new racer myself, I agree with going where the fields are rather than buying a specific car to race. I'm happy NASA PTE in SoCal is adding another couple of cars so we should consistently have close to 10 cars. Spec E30 is another growing field in SoCal, they had 14 cars the last weekend of the year with NASA. SM is great if you're sponsored by a body shop.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky
    https://www.facebook.com/GreenmachineRacing

Liked
    757 times

Here's a link to the NASA SoCal 2011 results so you can get a sense of how active the classes are: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...d=0&output=pdf

Liked
    24 times

Thanks for the responses! I am definitely looking for a class with competition to further develop my driving. I thought ST2 would be good blend of power / competition.

Having said that, I think I will rent a few different cars and at least get some direction from here. In the interim, I'll hold onto my S2000 and continue practicing. I believe I can get my SCCA license based on the Skip Barber 3 day race school I attended last year / experience. I can't do the super school due to working 6 days a week through mid-April.

Thanks again for your opinions! It is of great help!

-Robert

PS: I can really see the bias in quite a few of the responses! But I guess that all makes sense.
    Last edited by LagunaBlueS2k; 02-19-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Liked
    1159 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Here's a link to the NASA SoCal 2011 results so you can get a sense of how active the classes are: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...d=0&output=pdf
    also careful how you look at that list.
    example: there are 24 competitors listed for ST2, and look like to be one of the more decent field. but only 5 of them showed up in more than 1/2 of the races.
    99 SuperMiata
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    13 Volt, 100whp
    14 Spark EV, 400 ft/lb
    96 NSX
    74 X1/9, 61whp

Liked
    757 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    also careful how you look at that list.
    example: there are 24 competitors listed for ST2, and look like to be one of the more decent field. but only 5 of them showed up in more than 1/2 of the races.
    Yea, can't beat SM for sheer numbers, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Every SM video I watch scares the **** out of me.

Liked
    144 times

So what bmwcca event did i see on youtube at bw where there were 20 e36 m3s or so in a race?
    Billy Johnson: www.billyjohnsonracing.com & http://user.streetfire.net/profile/BillyJohnson.htm

Driver - Roush Fenway Racing

FX Motorsports Development - 8X Overall Time Attack Champion & Track Record Holder (Laguna Seca, Long Beach, BW, WSIR, CMP, Spring Mountain, ACS, LVMS)

Performance Friction Brakes - KW Suspension - WPC Treatment - OS Giken - CP Pistons - Carillo Rods

Liked
    757 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    So what bmwcca event did i see on youtube at bw where there were 20 e36 m3s or so in a race?
    No idea. There are also very few bmwcca events per year relative to the others, only 3 scheduled this year for Pacific region (could change I guess).

Liked
    24 times

Oli, I think the speed of the Panoz depends upon which motor you have. I know quite a few have the 4.6 Mustang Cobra motor, some have the older 5.0 Ford pushrod and a few have the 351 Windsor.

Liked
    367 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Yea, can't beat SM for sheer numbers, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Every SM video I watch scares the **** out of me.
    I'm going to see how the racing goes once I get a little faster and at least compete with the mid-pack PTE racers. If the car count doesn't stay high enough in PTE, I'll consider selling my car and buying a SM. I'm not in any hurry and realize that my current skill level is holding me back more than the car.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky
    https://www.facebook.com/GreenmachineRacing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast