Thread: Long Beach Grand Prix 2008

Liked
    10 times

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HxUtTZ3gEs[/YOUTUBE]

Motorsports Photographer imager993's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Fun Video!

I thought about talking to one of the guys who was driving the pace cars around between sessions to see if I could get a ride, but never got around to it. I often times saw empty passenger seats in the backs of those cars. One did roll and total in turn one though so maybe it is good I didn't go for a ride.
    Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    1 times

I finally have my full gallery of favorites online from the weekend. Here are a few samples and a link to the gallery. Enjoy!

Gallery www.motorsportlens.com/lbgp/

Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by imager993 View Post
    Fun Video!
    One did roll and total in turn one though so maybe it is good I didn't go for a ride.
    When did this happen? Fri/Sat. Maybe it was caused by all the oil that was laid down from the TA cars.

BTW, nice pix as always!

Liked
    1 times

On Saturday. I didn't see it and don't know anything of the circumstances, but a friend text messaged me about it. He lurks on here occasionally... maybe he will join and tell us what he saw.

Liked
    1 times

Fun Video!

I thought about talking to one of the guys who was driving the pace cars around between sessions to see if I could get a ride, but never got around to it. I often times saw empty passenger seats in the backs of those cars. One did roll and total in turn one though so maybe it is good I didn't go for a ride.
    A pace car did?! Oh man that guy just lost his job. Can I have his spot?

Liked
    1 times

I use the term Pace Car loosely. They had these Toyota Camrys and Lexus ISs running laps between races when the track was idle taking VIPs for rides and showing off the cars. They looked like they were on street tires and sounded like they were on the limits around every corner. Just a matter of time before one crashed. I heard from a corner worker that the driver was taken to the hospital. Don't know any more than that though.

Liked
    2165 times

I use the term Pace Car loosely. They had these Toyota Camrys and Lexus ISs running laps between races when the track was idle taking VIPs for rides and showing off the cars. They looked like they were on street tires and sounded like they were on the limits around every corner. Just a matter of time before one crashed. I heard from a corner worker that the driver was taken to the hospital. Don't know any more than that though.

I have never been to the Long Beach Grand Prix, but I know portions of it are run by SCCA. I think Speed World Challenge is an SCCA Pro race and the corners workers down there all weekend are SCCA corner workers.

With that said, the SCCA rule book stipulates that even the pace car must be driven by a race licensed or former race licensed driver. Therefore I assume all the cars going around the track were driven by licensed racers. One of them probably just over-cooked a corner in a street car.

I also read on the SCCA race forum that one of the cars, a pace car I think, was being driven by Parnelli Jones and he ran it into one of the tire barriers at a fairly high rate of speed and sustained just moderate injuries.

Oli

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2