+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By b3d3g1

Thread: Local Jobs?

Liked
    2 times

Default Local Jobs?

Scouring the forum as a new guy and just can't help but wonder if there is a potential employer/employee section. I know most of us on here are either pursuing something engineering/automotive related or long term engineers/automotive technicians of sorts, along with throwing money into fast-moving abyssal pits on 4 wheels.

Long story short, my name is Tom Probert, I'm a 24 year old married veteran catching up on college and pursuing an engineering degree. Looking for a job in the south orange county area. I've worked at Callaway Cars in Santa Ana as a shop aid (kind of a B.S. job honestly) and now I try to contribute as much as possible to 949 Racing as a sort of self-proclaimed intern. I'm the team coordinator for all of our NASA events and newly crewchief as of the past two events. I'm pretty handy around just about anything automotive, and if I've never dealt with something before I'm not afraid to tackle it as professionally as possible (even though sometimes/usually Sonny or John hand me a hammer and a prybar). Anyway, I've passed my first ASE exam with several more scheduled, I'm about 4 college classes away from completing all 4 of Saddleback's Auto-Tech certificate programs, and I'm riding the GI Bill as long as I can towards a BS in engineering.

I'm really interested in just about anything from entry level to a big challenge so if anyone local is hiring or knows a guy who knows a guy who's looking for a good handy hand in the shop, I'd appreciate it! Resume upon request.

You can PM me on here or shoot me an e-mail to thomas.j.probert@hotmail.com
    Last edited by EUNOS96; 08-18-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Liked
    434 times

Looks like you're on the right path!

Your name would be helpful for those not familar with your forum handle.
    Last edited by jimt; 08-18-2012 at 08:26 AM.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    2 times

Ah yes, i'll edit the original post, thanks for pointing that out!

Liked
    464 times

+1 Looks like your doing it well."the right path" Just keep it up. Things will fall into place.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    7 times

try looking at hyundai's or fisker's website for job openings. they are in orange county.

Liked
    2 times

thanks i'll look into that. i know KIA just tore down a huge headquarters and rebuilt somewhere bigger so maybe even something around there.

Liked
    744 times

Tom - I know you and I spoke about this before we left, but what are your plans with the degree?

Not just saying this because I live here, but the east coast is still pretty active in regards to race engineering. I am s-l-o-w-l-y reconnecting with my old contacts here and I'm surprised how many of are still here, after the recession and what not.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2 times

Well I'm planning on a transfer toa 4-year for mechanical engineering. I'm already almost done with the 4 saddleback auto certificates so i'm committing to that right now. ASE in the process... hopefully master-tech before school is over. Then when it's time to transfer Lili and I have discussed moving back east depending on job opportunities and that "stuff happens" thing that seems to hinder most plans

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by EUNOS96 View Post
    Well I'm planning on a transfer toa 4-year for mechanical engineering. I'm already almost done with the 4 saddleback auto certificates so i'm committing to that right now. ASE in the process... hopefully master-tech before school is over. Then when it's time to transfer Lili and I have discussed moving back east depending on job opportunities and that "stuff happens" thing that seems to hinder most plans
    Just an FYI on the ASE's.
    They are a funny thing. Yes it is good to have them when looking for a job. But there are a lot of guys out there that have all their ASE's and can fix a wagon. ASE's are not a bad thing, but are not looked at by true tech as something to tell what your abilities are. Same thing as going to a tech school.

They are both good to get you in the door and show your commitment to the trade. So upper management like it. As well as by hiring guys with them. They can fly the banners saying they have ASE trained techs.

I'm telling you this because I've seen it. Guys fresh out of tech school out to save the world. Only to make one big mistake after another. Everybody makes them. That’s how we all learn. But when you’re wearing you badge and you screw up. They love to point the finger an laugh.

I worked for Nissan as a tech on and off for 20 years and was known as one of the go to guys for driveablity. Only ASEs I had were the ones needed to be a smog tech. Nissan came to me and asked me to get my ASEs so I could become a "Master Tech". So I did. It was funny how, all the sudden, other techs acted towards me. Not in a good way.
    Now because my work pays for it. I have my ASE Master Tech in Car, Truck, Machinist, Exhaust and Accessories (how to install boxes and stuff on Big Rig trucks and trailers) as well as a International Certification for Hydraulics. But it is all just a feather in my hat. It does not make me any better a technician then when I didn't have all my Certifications. It does get me in the door to work on almost anything in the industry.

This is just infomation of what the industry holds for you. Like I said, and FYI.

Liked
    421 times

I'm in a similar situation to you Tom but almost opposite. I have a Mechanical engineering degree and I have an engineering job working for a company jointly owned by General Motors and Boeing. I'd love to be able to take some of those automotive classes but there is no way I can get away from work to take them.

Due to reasons out of my control, I will most likely be moving up to the San Jose area and leaving my current job in the first half of next year. I need to find something automotive related in my next job but I really want to find some race shop, race team, or automotive product design company I can work for and be around the automotive performance market. I spend most of my time thinking about it anyways so why not make a career out of it. I'm trying to network with people I'm meeting around the race track but I'm not keeping my hopes too high about finding that perfect job in such a short time frame. If I could move to Michigan, I would definitely apply to this position.

I'm open to any opportunities in the Bay Area if anyone wants to point me in the right direction or refer me to someone that might lead me somewhere good.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    Due to reasons out of my control, I will most likely be moving up to the San Jose area and leaving my current job in the first half of next year. I need to find something automotive related in my next job but I really want to find some race shop, race team, or automotive product design company I can work for and be around the automotive performance market.
    You can come and work for GreenMachine Racing in Santa Barbara. The pay and benefits suck and the owner can sometimes be an a$$ but there is a race car to work on . . .
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    464 times

^^^Gezz what an oppertunest^^^

Liked
    421 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    You can come and work for GreenMachine Racing in Santa Barbara. The pay and benefits suck and the owner can sometimes be an a$$ but there is a race car to work on . . .
    I'll change a tire for you, then list you as a reference.
    Last edited by b3d3g1; 08-27-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    Red_5 likes this.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - commuter
    2016 KTM 690 Duke - parked at the dealer

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    I'll change a tire for you, then list you as a reference.
    well played sir!

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    Just an FYI on the ASE's.
    They are a funny thing. Yes it is good to have them when looking for a job. But there are a lot of guys out there that have all their ASE's and can fix a wagon. ASE's are not a bad thing, but are not looked at by true tech as something to tell what your abilities are. Same thing as going to a tech school.

They are both good to get you in the door and show your commitment to the trade. So upper management like it. As well as by hiring guys with them. They can fly the banners saying they have ASE trained techs.

I'm telling you this because I've seen it. Guys fresh out of tech school out to save the world. Only to make one big mistake after another. Everybody makes them. That’s how we all learn. But when you’re wearing you badge and you screw up. They love to point the finger an laugh.

I worked for Nissan as a tech on and off for 20 years and was known as one of the go to guys for driveablity. Only ASEs I had were the ones needed to be a smog tech. Nissan came to me and asked me to get my ASEs so I could become a "Master Tech". So I did. It was funny how, all the sudden, other techs acted towards me. Not in a good way.
    Now because my work pays for it. I have my ASE Master Tech in Car, Truck, Machinist, Exhaust and Accessories (how to install boxes and stuff on Big Rig trucks and trailers) as well as a International Certification for Hydraulics. But it is all just a feather in my hat. It does not make me any better a technician then when I didn't have all my Certifications. It does get me in the door to work on almost anything in the industry.

This is just infomation of what the industry holds for you. Like I said, and FYI.
    I definitely respect the forwarning implied here, but the truth of the matter is I won't allow the slack standards of industry certification turn me away from becoming certified myself. The simple fact that other people screw up is my motivation to prove my abilities to future employers. The people that think they're so god damn hot **** that they need no certification to prove their worth are exactly what I plan to avoid becoming. I'm not above the system unless I innovate something in my off time that is worth my name as its brand, and until I can burn through flat rate jobs or engineer the fastest car of its class, I am nothing more than what I have to show for by transcript. Until I can't say "I learned this properly, from professionals" I will continue to learn from people I idolize and use what I gain to slap a feather in my hat.

With that being said, I don't agree with many of the passing grades my peers attain from some of my advanced classes because the passive aggressive "no child left behind" garbage that is the lifestyle of this state is horrifying. I don't expect most of my classmates to be my competiting for the calibur of work I hold myself up to. I also take the certification very lightly in that many people may achieve it, but only a few of us will represent what being a "master tech" really means. Those people you and I clearly recognize will not be able to claim what you have with multiple decades of hard earned experience. They will be dropped from Jiffy Lube for throwing an oil filter because it's icky.

Liked
    464 times

Exelent! Your doing everything right and for the right reasons.
    I did not want to detour you in any way. Just letting you know.
    Last edited by Gian; 08-28-2012 at 06:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread