+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Live video feed from car FPV

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2422 times

Default Live video feed from car FPV

I wanted to start a thread discussing methods to get live in car feed broadcast back to the pits and/or internet.
    Anybody here done this for less than $1000?
    There is a large FPV (first person view) community amongst the RC car and airplane groups. They are actually flying the RC planes with goggles displaying the view out the aircraft.
    Some are using Hero 3 cameras plugged into 5.8ghz radio transmitters and that's what I'm most interested in.
    Most R/C planes are flown line of sight so range is not too critical. For a race car, we will lose line of sight so a stronger signal or directional base station antenna may be required.
    The high end FPV setups actually have antennas that move and track a GPS signal onboard the R/C plane.
    The native wi-fi broadcasts HD with a 1.5s delay so the pilots can't use it but we can. Thus, there is little info on forums about getting wifi signal to an onboard 5.8ghz transmitter.
    You can also plug an optional gopro cable into hero 3 to convert the signal into composite for a wireless transmitter. I haven't found affordable hardware that will accept and transmit an HD signal yet.
    There is a fairly simply way to get the Hero3 to display on a PC or Mac by wifi via a VLC player. How to Stream Gopro hero3 LIVE to Mac and Windows - YouTube

What I'm hoping to find is a company or source for a "live feed kit" that's plug and play for the Hero 3 for motorsports use. If none exists, there is a business opportunity!

Broadcasting the wifi signal a short distance
    GoPro live stream WLAN Office.avi - YouTube
    GoPro live stream outdoor WLAN.avi - YouTube
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    2265 times

Roman Vaisman has done this in "the Saturn" and broadcast the entire 25 Hour race live, although I don't know what it cost. I have his number if you're interested.

Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Roman Vaisman has done this in "the Saturn" and broadcast the entire 25 Hour race live, although I don't know what it cost. I have his number if you're interested.
    Ill ping him
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2265 times

Roger that.

Liked
    1 times

I started looking into this a while back as a feed for our chumpcar. One of the best sites I found for it was FPV, UAV, Quadcopter, Video Headset Superstore - Future Hobbies and the owner is pretty helpful. The hard part is finding a transmitter that is powerful enough as they are all fairly weak due to lower weight requirements. Obviously there isn't as much of a concern over .75lbs in a car, so you can get a heavier/better transmitter and what is called a "blue beam" antenna for a car. They are slowly getting more and more requests for this, so this may be becoming more popular, available, and affordable.

Also, do not skimp on the camera. The little bit extra that you will spend on it is well worth it from the videos I have seen from the various models. You can probably to use your Go Pro with it, but I am unsure.

Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by rharris19 View Post
    I started looking into this a while back as a feed for our chumpcar. One of the best sites I found for it was FPV, UAV, Quadcopter, Video Headset Superstore - Future Hobbies and the owner is pretty helpful. The hard part is finding a transmitter that is powerful enough as they are all fairly weak due to lower weight requirements. Obviously there isn't as much of a concern over .75lbs in a car, so you can get a heavier/better transmitter and what is called a "blue beam" antenna for a car. They are slowly getting more and more requests for this, so this may be becoming more popular, available, and affordable.

Also, do not skimp on the camera. The little bit extra that you will spend on it is well worth it from the videos I have seen from the various models. You can probably to use your Go Pro with it, but I am unsure.
    Good info, thanks. I'm hoping to use a gopro if for no other reason than to create a set of DIY instructions that others can follow here. I want it but tools like this can only help racers and organizers looking for sponsors. I'd like to set up a monitor
    in the pit with a 4 way split screen of the top 4 PTE cars at NASA events. How cool would that be.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    16 times

Liked
    130 times

not sure if it's vapor ware but what about RaceCapturePro - Autosport Labs not video but seems data would be more valueable than just video?

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by krazik View Post
    not sure if it's vapor ware but what about RaceCapturePro - Autosport Labs not video but seems data would be more valueable than just video?
    I have one of their live telemetry setups coming in at the end of this month and that is something we have kicked around with it is trying to find a way to stream video over the same cloud service. If it could work it would be awesome as anyone would be able to log in and view it from any location. I think it would take a fair amount of work to make it happen if it is even possible.

Realistically, I think that a FPV system will be attainable for $1000-1500 that will work quite well, but the key will be getting the right frequency and antennas.

This has rekindled my interest in this and I will try to see if any progress has been made since I last looked at this stuff about a year ago. I should have some time this weekend to find all of my old notes and see what i can come up with.

Liked
    2320 times

unfortunately, telemetry is illegal in T25.
    you being many times T25 veteran, should know this !!
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    130 times

I just arrive and drive
    Matt Andrews likes this.

Liked
    130 times

Btw pretty sure 1 team streamed their whole 25hr last year -with- (simple) telemetry.

Liked
    65 times

I have streamed a few races using an owle bubo and an iphone. The video is decent, just need to make sure cell service is good in the area. Cal speedway is no problem, WIllow springs a bit dodgy and THunderhill, most of the time pretty good. That is the same method that Robert Davis Racing uses to stream live via Justintv or Ustream.

They changed the name but you can see it here
    Action Life Media | Home of the mCAM

It is basically and improved optic for the camera that is in an iphone....

Liked
    2422 times

Btw pretty sure 1 team streamed their whole 25hr last year -with- (simple) telemetry.
    Our neighbor Factory 48 Motorsports had a proprietary system built by a friend of the team. When I inquired about the system, Jeff told me they were working on commercializing it.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by Joe jordan View Post
    I have streamed a few races using an owle bubo and an iphone. The video is decent, just need to make sure cell service is good in the area. Cal speedway is no problem, WIllow springs a bit dodgy and THunderhill, most of the time pretty good. That is the same method that Robert Davis Racing uses to stream live via Justintv or Ustream.

They changed the name but you can see it here
    Action Life Media | Home of the mCAM

It is basically and improved optic for the camera that is in an iphone....
    Saw that too. Good option for tracks with good data coverage, iPhones and unlimited data plans. Android user here though. Streaming a 1080p signal for a 3,6 or 25hr enduro uses a fair amount of bandwidth.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    1 times

I have been going back through all of my communications with Wade at Future Hobbies from a while back and had a little more info for you. It looks like it can be done for between $300-350 per setup if you have your own camera.

Transmitter/Reciever Combo: Future Hobbies - 1000mW RX/ TX Set [1.3GHz] | Future Hobbies
    Antennas: Future Hobbies - 1.3 GHz Bluebeam Whip Antenna Set (RHCP) | Future Hobbies
    Go Pro adapter: Future Hobbies - GoPro Hero A/V Out Cable + Harness | Future Hobbies

There are 5 different frequencies that most FPV systems work off of: 900 MHz, 1.2GHz, 1.3GHz, 2.4GHz, and 5.8 GHz. From what I understand the 1.2GHz systems are illegal for use in the US, but I am not sure why. I believe the most widely used frequency is the 1.3GHz as long as it doesn't interfere with the radio control signals, which obviously isn't an issue here. The transmitters and receivers tend to have 4-8 channels so you should be able to find one that isn't being walked on by something else. Also, I think 900MHz is still a GSM frequency, so I may steer clear of that one too.

I may have to try this out in June for the hell of it and see how it goes. If this doesn't work, you may be able to put a high power access point in the car to boost the signal of the gopro, but those can get very pricy.

Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by rharris19 View Post
    I have been going back through all of my communications with Wade at Future Hobbies from a while back and had a little more info for you. It looks like it can be done for between $300-350 per setup if you have your own camera.

Transmitter/Reciever Combo: Future Hobbies - 1000mW RX/ TX Set [1.3GHz] | Future Hobbies
    Antennas: Future Hobbies - 1.3 GHz Bluebeam Whip Antenna Set (RHCP) | Future Hobbies
    Go Pro adapter: Future Hobbies - GoPro Hero A/V Out Cable + Harness | Future Hobbies

There are 5 different frequencies that most FPV systems work off of: 900 MHz, 1.2GHz, 1.3GHz, 2.4GHz, and 5.8 GHz. From what I understand the 1.2GHz systems are illegal for use in the US, but I am not sure why. I believe the most widely used frequency is the 1.3GHz as long as it doesn't interfere with the radio control signals, which obviously isn't an issue here. The transmitters and receivers tend to have 4-8 channels so you should be able to find one that isn't being walked on by something else. Also, I think 900MHz is still a GSM frequency, so I may steer clear of that one too.

I may have to try this out in June for the hell of it and see how it goes. If this doesn't work, you may be able to put a high power access point in the car to boost the signal of the gopro, but those can get very pricy.
    Ordering stuff now.

FCC Note: This transmitter is shipped to all U.S. addresses with a fixed frequency at CH1 (1280). Please
    note that this high power transmitter requires an Amateur Radio Technician Class License for legal operation
    in U.S.A.

License needed?

Getting Your Technician License
    hakeem and krazik like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    1 times

I have wondered how well they enforce the need for the license and haven't ever really heard of someone having an issue. That being said, it is still illegal and I don't know how involved the process is to get your license. I do think they have much bigger fish to fry though.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    566 times

Ready Made RC

Www.range video.com

Probably need 1.3Ghz and a circularly polarized antenna. 5.8 probably wont have the penetration you need for in a car. 1000mW Tx often get too hot and burn up without good airflow.. Try a 6-800mW. Try the blue beams.
    Last edited by Stuntman; 05-06-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Liked
    2422 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    fixed link
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast