Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Loose Caboose
  • 2 Post By Jack Olsen

Thread: Lightweight "Purist" Porsche - A 2016 Possibility

Liked
    854 times

Default Lightweight "Purist" Porsche - A 2016 Possibility

Hold off on that Cayman.

Is 718 The Codename For Porsche's Lightweight, Four-Cylinder Sports Car?

Nice German images:

Vorschau Porsche 917 - Bilder - autobild.de

A revised summary of a computer translated version of the article:

The designers from Swabia want to sharpen their profile as a sports car manufacturer.

Puristic: There will not be any serious luxury extras.

The name: 718. A number with history - a sensational race car from the period between 1957 and 1962 .

Based on the current Boxster/Cayman series, it is lighter, more agile and uncompromising than its siblings. The body features a shortened front and rear; and the interior focuses on lovely sparseness, a simple seat system and reduced facilities. The 718's target weight is 1190 kg

The car features a new lightweight hood that can be operated with one hand due to elaborate sound insulation, weight-optimized high-strength steel with aluminium and polyurethane parts, windows made of thin glass and a plastic rear window as well as a fix-mounted steel bracket behind the seats rather than active rollover protection. The 1190 kg unladen weight is much more than the original 570 kg 718, but significantly less than a 1310 kg Boxster.

The 718 fun junkies should make so happy like no other sports car in its price class, a car that will reorder the price structure in the mid-engined Pack. (This was so great I left it pretty much unchanged).

Although the 2016 Cayman and Boxsters will have additional assistance systems, new steering wheel (to identify with the thumbwheel for integrated vehicle dynamics), optimized Infotainment offerings, optional LED light and head-up display cause the product upgrade only some of these tools will be available for the 718 - everything else would dilute the concept of a predatory priced lightweight.

Three different displacements were originally planned, but the two-liter engine and a high-performance unit 2.5 litre displacement were chosen. . The smaller turbo engine will have around 286 HP and the the 2.5 liter version will have 360 HP.

A dual-clutch transmission will be available. But those (like Richard) that really understand the small Porsche, will be able to “flip his course very purist by hand” (original wording was too good to change).
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 06-17-2014 at 04:29 PM.
    JJ1 likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

flip his course very purist by hand
    That's sounds like whaking off . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    375 times

I hope they build it.

Liked
    366 times

I hope it doesn't come with a 90k+ price tag. But it probably will. :'(
    Do you understand?

Liked
    2242 times

It has the gills on the quarter panels like the old RSK.

Liked
    704 times

I think this power numbers are a bit optimistic, they're higher than Boxster numbers but in a lower weight / lower priced car. I hope they at least make glass an option for the rear window, plastic windows are terrible.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1477 times

I went to a Porsche dealer this week to look around, because I lust after the current Cayman, especially the upcoming GTS model. Basically, every car in stock has a PDK. If you want a stick shift/clutch pedal, you have to order it and wait 4 months. Oy vey . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I went to a Porsche dealer this week to look around, because I lust after the current Cayman, especially the upcoming GTS model. Basically, every car in stock has a PDK. If you want a stick shift/clutch pedal, you have to order it and wait 4 months. Oy vey . . .
    Order one with European delivery. I think there's even a discount.

The Ultimate Vacation - European Delivery - Events & Racing - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Porsche Enhances European Delivery Program
    Last edited by Red_5; 06-18-2014 at 05:16 PM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

+ Reply to Thread