Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By craZee
  • 1 Post By robburgoon

Thread: LeMons cool box

Liked
    456 times

Default LeMons cool box

cool-box.jpg

So, as in any form of racing, pit stops are critical in LeMons races. One item that takes time is adding new ice to our cool suit set-up. Driving 2 + hour stints, it had to be replenished usually every stop with the stock small cooler.

As additional weight (especially in a place that makes the car more balanced) is not that critical, I stole the large traditional ice chest out of my wife's garage and converted it to a cool box.

Realizing that the fuel line ran directly under the new box location, I decided to add a heat exchanger to pre-cool the gas to avoid vapor lock, which we have experianced.

While I was at it, I figured I might as well mount the recepticle (refried bean can of course) for our drink containers, so we can enjoy a nice cool beverage while driving. Since the lid has a small section on one end, we will not have to unstrap the cooler to change out drinks or add ice.

Maybe now we can get down to those 2.6 sec. pitstops like Red Bull.

The only downside I see is next time we go camping my wife is not going to be happy
    Last edited by craZee; 11-14-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    1430 times

Fuel lines through the cabin, what could go wrong?
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    70 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Fuel lines through the cabin, what could go wrong?
    Of course not a fire.
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    456 times

Silver soldered copper and a whopping 5-7 psi of pressure.

The sharp ring on the refried bean can is the most dangerous part of the set-up. LOL

Liked
    1541 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    Silver soldered copper and a whopping 5-7 psi of pressure.

The sharp ring on the refried bean can is the most dangerous part of the set-up. LOL
    An extremely bad idea that I would hope most tech inspectors would nail you for. How about an impact where the icechest and water, about 20lbs, has a 35mph crash delta which is 20g's now undergoes a 400lb pulse and comes loose ripping the fuel line that is now leaking fuel inside your car? There are safer ways to cool your fuel if it is even within your rules. And you still don't know if cooling your fuel in this manner is going solve the problem. So what is the risk reward profile and how do the other members of your team feel about fuel lines in the cockpit? Sorry I'm just being a safety A-hole!

Liked
    2265 times

7201350.jpg

One of these under the hood would probably be the safer and more effective approach to cooling your fuel.

Liked
    858 times

While you are waiting for your parts, if all you need is a little bit of cooling, you can wrap tin foil (with flat, flap extensions) around the fuel line. I did this in on a '69 Saab 99 when driving hard on dirt forest service roads in extreme summer heat. It seemed to have solved my vapor lock problems. Either that, or a coincidental with a change in ambient conditions. Later I got a manual switch for my electric fan, so I will never know.
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 11-16-2013 at 11:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread