+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Learning to drive fast

Liked
    239 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    For a dedicated track car, one should consider his safety more carefully and treat the requirement as a bare bones guideline only.
    Having seen a rolled E30 (and an E36) they might be safer than rolling a Miata, but I still wouldn't want the roof to cave down on me, which it will.
    Having rolled a fully-caged CRX, I agree!

But for someone new to the hobby who may or may not enjoy it, it might be best to start out with a car that's closer to a street car than a time trial or W2W race car. That way, if they realize they don't like the hobby, they can sell the car without too much invested or just use it as a regular street car. For beginners, especially those working with an instructor who can dial them down a bit, I think a well-maintained, mostly stock car is fine. Once the driver starts picking up speed and gets a taste of the red mist, then I'm all in with a roll bar/cage, racing harness, racing seat, HANS device, etc.
    Gian and Blackbird like this.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle View Post
    As far as the Z goes, my attitude is I never put a car on a racetrack I wouldnt be prepared to shove off a cliff. Stuff happens sometimes, and occasionally stuff happens and you dont get to take the car home. Those events are exponentially more likely during your early years. If you feel that way about the Z, track it, if you dont, then I wouldnt.
    this . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    0 times

This is an awesome forum

I recognize the logic in putting in some seat before I plunge off the deep end! I am going to do the smart thing and register for a few events this summer. The Z is 100% expendable, fwiw.

Knowing my personality though, I will then proceed to do the stupid thing and build the crap out of the Z, then sell it for pennies on the dollar at a later date to fund a spec miata purchase (halfway joking)

Liked
    378 times

The 300ZX is a great car, but it's heavy and there hasn't been a whole lot of serious development of the chassis/suspension/go-fast stuff for road course use.

Down the line, you will want a 911.

But the divorce settlement might only leave you with enough for the Miata.

Liked
    1477 times

I recommend Hondas. NSX or S2000. You really don't want a 911 like Jack's, with the engine hanging off behind the rear axle and some serious snap oversteer handling (and that SOB won't sell me that incredible car he built . . .) Have fun out there! One more piece of advice: "Car racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." Peter Egan

Or a Formula Mazda

Last edited by Richard EVO; 03-04-2014 at 11:52 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    466 times

Or you could get a RX7 and piss everyone off. Hehehehee
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    858 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    The 300ZX is a great car, but it's heavy and there hasn't been a whole lot of serious development of the chassis/suspension/go-fast stuff for road course use.

Down the line, you will want a 911.

But the divorce settlement might only leave you with enough for the Miata.

The bandana, styled hair, designer watch, and miata bra . . . just another gay guy waiting for a porta potty friend.
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    138 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post
    Or you could get a RX7 and piss everyone off. Hehehehee
    WHAT? I couldnt hear you over the sound of your exhaust!

I love RX7's, but they sound better from across the racetrack. Not so much next to you

Liked
    97 times

I say run whatcha brung, and see how it is!! If you have a blast and you struggle to hold yourself back from passing the gay Miatas in the straight that just passed you in the corner, try renting a fully-prepped track car like an E30 from Lang Racing and get an instructor for the day, and see what you think of that experience.

I think it's a right of passage to own a street/track car. It's a good experience driving to the track at the buttcrack of dawn knowing soon the car you're going 65 in will be flat-out, and also its' a great feeling coming home after a long day in the car knowing it served you well. Try not to crash. Spinning out is fine, so is offroading.

likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Liked
    80 times

Whatever street car you choose to flog at the track consider the AAA extended tow service.
    If you can't trailer it to the track its nice to know when it breaks the tow home is free.
    Richard EVO likes this.
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2