Liked
    817 times

That's what Toyota gets for using a hybrid in a race car >=[
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2528 times

I didn't watch the last 6 hours. what happened to #6 Toyota, which had a comfortable lead when I went to sleep. I heard Kobayashi spun it twice while having a comfortable lead with better mpg ? if so, Toyota lost by hiring idiot drivers.
    bikeindirt, emilio700 and bawareca like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2528 times

answering my own question:

, but was ruled out of the lead battle when Kobayashi spun into the gravel just after the 20-hour mark.

That followed a skirmish with a backmarker that left the car with left-side bodywork damage.

The team therefore opted to bring in the car for a check of the cooling system that cost it 10 minutes, putting it out of overall contention

Toyota brought this onto themselves.......don't put a driver in just because he is a Japanese.
    bawareca likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    887 times

Victory went to the No.68 Ford Chip Ganassi Team USA, but BTW:

The Ford GT of Dirk Müller, Joey Hand and Sébastien Bourdais won the GTE Pro class; but, interestingly, the top WEC competitor was the No.66 Ford Chip Ganassi Team UK entry of Olivier Pla, Stefan Mücke and Billy Johnson, which finished 4th in class but still collected the maximum 50 world championship points available.

Classification | FIA World Endurance Championshipcapturewec.jpg
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 06-20-2016 at 06:59 PM.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

This had to be one of the cruelest race finishes I ever watched.
    Moment of silence for Toyota who put together a good race just to see it slipping away with one lap to go.

Liked
    16 times

Congrats Billy!
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    How can I do?

"Shoe"
    Liked
    590 times

Thanks for following and the support guys! What an amazing experience...

It's a bit of a bummer that we never recovered from the 2 laps lost fixing our backlit number board (unlike US racing you never gain ground from yellows) and there were a few other things that happened that disadvantaged us that the top 3 cars weren't penalized for, esp. Ferrari not having to fix their lights or serve their penalty. Should have been a Ford 1-2-3.

But it's amazing to have been apart of the development of the car from the start and as a team accomplish the entire objective of the car: to win LeMans....

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

Congrats for a great result for the team and what is still a great personal result for a rookie outing @ LM24 even if no podium.
    Must feel surreal to be driving such a fast race car like the Ford and be passed by the P1 rockets like it's nobody's business!

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Congrats for a great result for the team and what is still a great personal result for a rookie outing @ LM24 even if no podium.
    Must feel surreal to be driving such a fast race car like the Ford and be passed by the P1 rockets like it's nobody's business!
    The Ford GTs were topping out over 180mph so it wasn't *that* much of a difference for them!

"Shoe"
    Liked
    590 times

Ya, some "rookie" beat me by 0.068 late in the race....

Top speed wasn't bad vs P1 cars, but good lord the closing speeds coming off corners was probably 60-80mph where the P1s just take off! It's unreal to be hauling ass and be passed like a spec miata from a DP in the 25hr of Thunderhill.

It's also pretty cool to be leading both the CTSCC Championship and FIA GT World Championship right now.
    Last edited by Stuntman; 06-22-2016 at 12:01 AM.

Liked
    609 times

To be honest, I think the LMP1's are headed back into another bust cycle (for what, the 3rd or 4th time?). Six cars for the premier event of the year makes even Indycar look very strong at the 500.

I'd rather see more big fast GT cars (not that I don't want to see Ford win, being a blue oval guy) than what's out there today -- we've already got F1 for ultra-expensive super high tech racing.

But hey, that's me.

Steve
    BOWERSdaAZIAN likes this.

Liked
    2528 times

Umm... Billy: don't you think it is time for a new avatar ?

Btw. How fast is the Ford GT around BW13 you reckon ?
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-22-2016 at 08:51 AM.
    SteveLevin likes this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2528 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    This had to be one of the cruelest race finishes I ever watched.
    Moment of silence for Toyota who put together a good race just to see it slipping away with one lap to go.
    I don't feel bad for Toyota. #6 had a clear lead with 6 hours to go (when I went to sleep). Then Kobayashi had 2 spins and 1 contact (10 min back in garage to fix damage) with a backmarker. What an idiot. I would of benched Kobayashi after the first spin, and yes #6 would of won easily. Heck, Billy out drove a bunch of F1 drivers in terms of "endurance racing". number 1 rule in endurance racing is protect the car, that Billy did great.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-22-2016 at 03:59 PM.
    Olitho and bawareca like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    80 times

I watched about 22 of the 24 hours. Some of the LMP1 drivers did not qualify as endurance drivers IMO. They were being too aggressive, Kobayashi was driving over his head, before his spin, he went on the outside of the Mulsanne Straight to pass 2 side by side slower cars & almost lost control...

Romain Dumas had some risky dive bomb moves when he tried to pass slower cars, same thing with Sebastien Buemi in the Toyota #5. I believe Romain Dumas also had contact with a slower car when trying to make a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I don't feel bad for Toyota. #6 had a clear lead with 6 hours to go. Then Kobayashi had 2 spins and 1 contact (10 min back in garage to fix damage) with a backmarker. What an idiot. I would of benched Kobayashi after the first spin, and yes #6 would of won easily. Heck, Billy out drove a bunch of F1 drivers in terms of "endurance racing". number 1 rule in endurance racing is protect the car, that Billy did great.
    bellwilliam likes this.
    2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 - Daily
    2017 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins - Tow Truck
    2017 Shelby GT350 - Track Car / Weekend Cruiser
    1999 SuperMiata Super - W2W Race Car

Liked
    609 times

I disagree with the "pushing too hard" thing. In a race where it has literally become a 24 hour sprint and the end can be decided by seconds, you just can't run 97% anymore and have a chance to win.

Now, maybe if someone was literally a dozen laps ahead, there'd be a valid point to backing off. But that never happened for anyone this year. Think about it... you run slightly slower, are maybe a lap up, and an ignition box or some purple widget fails that takes 4 minutes to replace... and you lose by 30 seconds.

Then everyone would be saying "if they had just kept on it a bit more during the race, they would have had the buffer to fix that issue and win."

Steve

Liked
    2528 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    I disagree with the "pushing too hard" thing. In a race where it has literally become a 24 hour sprint and the end can be decided by seconds, you just can't run 97% anymore and have a chance to win.

Now, maybe if someone was literally a dozen laps ahead, there'd be a valid point to backing off. But that never happened for anyone this year. Think about it... you run slightly slower, are maybe a lap up, and an ignition box or some purple widget fails that takes 4 minutes to replace... and you lose by 30 seconds.

Then everyone would be saying "if they had just kept on it a bit more during the race, they would have had the buffer to fix that issue and win."

Steve
    how else would you call 2 spins, 1 contact when you are leading the race and ~5 hours left on the race ?

the 24 hour sprint thing is just something media made up. 97% of the time drivers weren't within a second of best lap of the race.

it is one thing to push when you are in 2nd (trying to win), 3rd or 4th (trying to podium). you don't push with hours left and a comfortable lead.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2588 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post

Steve
    Having been on pointy end of amateur endurance racing for a few years, I can tell you that um, no. You always take care of the car in endurance racing, full stop. If you are leading, you only have everything to lose by pushing to hard and everything to gain by surviving. You have to remember, that if the team behind is pushing to catch you, they are vulnerable to those risks. That plays into your strategy only if you avoid the same risks.
    Kobayashi and Toyota both screwed that up.
    bawareca likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    53 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Ya, some "rookie" beat me by 0.068 late in the race....

Top speed wasn't bad vs P1 cars, but good lord the closing speeds coming off corners was probably 60-80mph where the P1s just take off! It's unreal to be hauling ass and be passed like a spec miata from a DP in the 25hr of Thunderhill.

It's also pretty cool to be leading both the CTSCC Championship and FIA GT World Championship right now.
    Yeah i noticed that the P1's weren't exactly smoking you guys in the lower speeds/mechanical grip areas but the spurt off the corner and the entry into high speed corners was something else.

I was surprised their braking zones were not a lot deeper than your (atleast on TV). I thought they'd brake close to F1 cars. Guess lack of aero and additional weight is probably the reason.

Liked
    609 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    how else would you call 2 spins, 1 contact when you are leading the race and ~5 hours left on the race ?

the 24 hour sprint thing is just something media made up. 97% of the time drivers weren't within a second of best lap of the race.

it is one thing to push when you are in 2nd (trying to win), 3rd or 4th (trying to podium). you don't push with hours left and a comfortable lead.
    Today's finishes are much closer than most of them were in the past. For the most part, in 'ye olden times' victors were split by many, many laps. Heck, for example, it wasn't long ago in the GT class I distinctly remember the Corvettes being pulled in an polished to look good when they crossed the line.
    I'm not saying it's ideal to go off, but you can't give up all that much time.

Steve
    bellwilliam likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast