+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Richard EVO
  • 1 Post By J. Tyler

Thread: Last lap of nationwide at the Glen - good racing, or what were the stewerds watching?

Liked
    72 times

Default Last lap of nascar at the Glen - good racing, or what were the stewerds watching?

I don't follow nascar. And I don't know their rule book. But take a look at this video of the last lap at the Glen. Other sites are saying this is why nascar is exciting. I kind of wonder if the race stewards were watching something else instead of this interaction. The announcers weren't suprised at all either. what do you guys think?

2012 Watkins Glen - Final Laps: Marcos Ambrose Wins - YouTube

EDIT:***nice. I couldn't even tell the difference between the nationwide cars and the full on sprint cup cars.****
    Last edited by Matt Andrews; 08-13-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    Turn your iphone into an action camera:
    www.igloocase.com
    www.facebook.com/igloocase.com

Liked
    1477 times

Actually, that was the Sprint Cup that was won by Marcus Ambrose yesterday. The Nationwide race at the Glen last Saturday was won by Carl Edwards. I can't believe I know that much about NASCAR, but I do like to watch the road course races.
    bawareca likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2243 times

I don't know NASACAR rules for contact either (for all I know, it could be "more is better"), but the 2 car didn't appear to have position on the 18 in that corner, so he shouldn't have stuck his nose under him and spun him.

It was exciting though. The cars were squirming around a lot.

Liked
    977 times

I love the NASCAR road races. I'm not sure how 'legit' any of that contact is, but it's definitely great to watch.

Liked
    704 times

That's great camera coverage. Apparently they have a better budget than Grand Am.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2 times

The interviewed a couple of the drivers, the drivers said one lap before the #18 crash nascar was talking about and looking at the #18 because they thought it was losing oil on the track but the officials couldn't see it. The #18 had the lead in the corner but had to backed-off the throtlle because he was sliding in his own oil, if the #18 hadn't backed there was no way the #2 would've caught him. The announcers even said the #18 car might be out of gas and that his car looked unstable. Look at the :54 and the 1:16 mark how loose the cars were. Gordon crashed on the last lap because of the oil on the track.
    Last edited by racebronco2; 08-13-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Liked
    1429 times

The 18 car was WAY off and arguably made an unsafe re-entry chopping down on the 2. That, and the 18 is a prick

It looks like the 2 missed a shift and tried to block, then Ambrose picked an arc that left no room for the 2 for the checkers. Dirty pool, but it worked.

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    I love the NASCAR road races.
    +1, it's some of the best racing in the world. Big heavy cars, ****ty tires = lots of sliding, a ton of horsepower, no data acquisition; and they all end up very very close to each other.

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    +1, it's some of the best racing in the world. Big heavy cars, ****ty tires = lots of sliding, a ton of horsepower, no data acquisition; and they all end up very very close to each other.
    Too close to the walls,most of the time
    But yeah,road course is exciting in any and all forms.
    JPM is my favorite from the indycar and F1 days with BMW.Williams team,but it seems he lost his edge(and luck obviously).It was exciting watching him make Schumacher spun by himself, but no big achievments in Nascar.

+ Reply to Thread