+ Reply to Thread

Thread: L.A. Auto Show 2012 - a Review

Liked
    1477 times

Default L.A. Auto Show 2012 - a Review

First, a caveat -- I took my son, who has an injury that was bothering him when he walked too much, so we left the show early and did not get to the West Hall (Honda, Nissan, Ford, Dodge, Fiat, Mitsubishi), or the downstairs Kentia Hall (after market tuners and privateers), so I can't really review the entire show, but we did see most of it.

Overall impression -- farily poor show. No Ferrari, Lamborghini or Maserati exhibits. The Italian exotics apparently don't think it's worth the money to go to the L.A. show. The main focus was on hybrids, electrics, green cars and mileage, which all bores me.

There were few interesting concepts. Surprisingly, the one I liked the most was a small Chevy coupe concept called TRU 40S with a 1.4 liter turbo ecoboost motor. It's the first of the attached pics.

The new Cayman S is a strong contender for best in show, but the price is a bit much at nearly $90,000 for a fully optioned car. There was an LFA, but that's old news. Fisker Karma? I don't think so. Again old news, but both the Scion FRS and Subaru BRZ were there. Scion was only showing slushboxes, but Subaru had a stick there. I tried to get the Subaru people to tell me about the BRZ STI, but they weren't talking (there was not one at the show).

That brings up one good impression. I thought that manual gearboxes with clutch pedals were a dying breed, but I was surprised how many were in ths show. There was even a Chevy Cruze (base model, I guess) with a 6-speed manual.

I don't really care for the BMW i8 concept, it's a bit Roccoco. Jaguar was showing the new F-type roadster, sorry I didn't get a pic of that. Nice looking car but nothing I would buy.

Lotus had nothing but Evora and Evora S. The days of the 2,000 lbs. Lotus for track are long gone. I think we must have missed the Acura exhibit, becuase there was supposed to be an NSX concept, but I never saw it.

Another thought -- I really like Japanese cars and I own 3 at the moment, but I realize as I write this that the Japanese entries at the show left me cold. There was a ridiculous simulator at the Mazda exhibit that was supposed to give you the feel of driving at Laguna Seca, but like my son said, "it's just a mechanical bull with a film of a racetrack." We need more Japanese sports cars.

Sorry for the relatively poor quality of the iPhone photos. I got lazy about waiting until everyone was out of the picture, and cut off the ends of a few of the cars. If I was in the market for a new car, I honestly don't know what I would buy.

Last edited by Richard EVO; 12-05-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2265 times

^^ What's this Lexus at the bottom?

Liked
    367 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    I'll take the new Cayman, please. S model, in White. That'll do.
    Yes plz but I'll have mine in black!
    Do you understand?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    ^^ What's this Lexus at the bottom?
    LF-CC concept coupe
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    I'll take the new Cayman, please. S model, in White. That'll do.
    Looks fantastic. I dig the yellow too.

Liked
    15 times

nice share richard!
    momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

New Drift Project - 98 LS14

W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

Liked
    858 times

There is a driving simulator at the rear of the Ford exhibit. It is sits up several feet from the ground on four very large pneumatic pistons and has three large screens for a fairly panaramic view. Unfortunately, it was not as good to drive as it was to look at. The brakes were totally wack. It felt like a programming error; and required braking way, way, way before any rational braking point (and I am a real cowardly early braker). Still, it was kind of fun;and you should seek it out if you are going to the show and if the line is not too long. At the time, the lap record was around 55 seconds. Big Happa came close, but the braking issue forced a couple of wide swings into the run-offs; and you only get one lap.

They also signed up people who wanted $50.00 to test drive Focus ST's. I am still waiting for my email . . . .

Liked
    378 times

Thanks for the review. My kid is only 4, so even though we go every year I only get to make one or two quick stops before spending the rest of the afternoon by the bouncy houses downstairs.

But you've got me thinking about a Cayman S, fresh off a 3-year lease in 2015.
    Last edited by Jack Olsen; 12-06-2012 at 12:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread