+ Reply to Thread

Thread: L.A. Auto Show 2011 - A Disappointment . . .

Liked
    1477 times

Default L.A. Auto Show 2011 - A Disappointment . . .

I went to the 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show today on my way home from the family Thanksgiving dinner. The show was a disappointment, and it really revealed the sorry state of the automobile industry today. The main focus was on electric and hybrid cars, and most of the concept cars were all-electric (read: boring). Most of the manufacturers are showing off electronic gimmicks like places to plug your iPod, which replaces cup holders as the stupidest thing people care about in cars. All in all, a lot of heavy, ugly, over-complicated cars. And almost a complete dearth of manual transmissions. Thanks to Ford for having some stick shift Mustangs on display including the Boss 302.

In years past Ferrari has always had a great exhibit; Ferrari was absent from this show, and so was Lamborghini, even though they have a new flagship to show. Lotus was showing only Evoras, but then that's all Lotus makes now. The death of the Elise/Exige is symtomatic of the rapid decline of real performance cars. Even the Porsche exhibit was boring, with no GT2-RS, no GT3-RS 4.0, but lots of those ugly Panameras. The new 911 (991 in Porsche speak) is hard to tell from the 997.

There were a few highlights:

#1 Best in Show (by a wide margin): Subaru BRZ concept STi (awd -- the Scion FR-S rwd version of the car was also on display, but not the Toyota version).

#2 Audi TT-RS with manual gearbox. But a bit pricey at $56K - $63K.

#3 Fiat 500 Abarth -- not sure 160 hp will be enough, but it's a cool little car.

Honorable mention -- Infiniti, which is a sponsor of the Red Bull Renault F1 team, had Sebastian Vettel's 2010 championship winning F1 car on display.

Looks nice in red: Lexus LFA.

Sorry, I didn't bring a camera. There are lots of places you can find pics of this year's L.A. Auto Show.
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 11-24-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    15 times

Plan on taking pops to the San Francisco International Auto Show 2011 on Sunday, hopefully it is a bit better than L.A. haha

Liked
    708 times

The way people drive these days, I'm looking forward to cars driving themselves. Hop in, tell them where you want them to go then sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. We can always build race cars for track use. People are less and less interested in real experiences, we are on a forum not at a coffee shop/bar after all. In the not too distant future it will be safer and more efficient to let a computer get you where you need to go.
    Last edited by Red_5; 11-24-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    144 times

Richard you didn't go in to the tuner hall did you? I also was there today plenty of Ferrari's and the Aventador were down stairs however they were roped off and you couldn't get close to even with a 30 foot pole. What I found refreshing was American cars are starting to get better in the exterior and interior and the biggest shock is the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter the in side of it had exceptional room and reminded me of a airplane cabin. I guess I will have to keep going to Cars & Coffee if I want to see nice sports cars.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    165 times

I got to go to the Press day last thursday. Free drinks, hors d'oeurves, and no crowds. 'Twas awesome.

Liked
    103 times

isnt the BRZ and the FR-S both rwd only?

Liked
    708 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    I got to go to the Press day last thursday. Free drinks, hors d'oeurves, and no crowds. 'Twas awesome.
    I went to the sneak preview a couple of years ago and it sounds very similar except I paid $250 to get in. Money goes to One Voice and is a tax deduction. Tough to beat that kind of experience.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2265 times

I was there on media day with a camera. I'll be posting some photos.

Liked
    2265 times

Here are a few images of the Subaru BRZ "concept," as it was labeled on the rear license plate. It sure looks like a production-ready car.

brz1.jpgbrz2.jpgbrz3.jpgbrz5.jpg

Liked
    5 times

at least SEMA has been coming around...
    -MattDennison
    Road///RaceEngineering - FederalTires - ROBISPEC /// - OdysseyBatteries - ACT - SPY+optics

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    isnt the BRZ and the FR-S both rwd only?
    Ya, the Sheriff messed up on that one. both are rwd only.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by zjchaser View Post
    Ya, the Sheriff messed up on that one. both are rwd only.
    I guess you're right. But the Subaru didn't just say "BRZ" it said BRZ "concept STi". So I just assumed the STi version would be awd. There wasn't any information being given out about the car.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Motorsports Photographer imager993's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Yeah, I probably could have gone on media days, but there was really nothing to special to draw me there. I got some great photos last year, but it is pretty tough to go every year (even on media days) unless there is something extra special.
    Aaron Kupferman | 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe | Visual Effects Electric Reality | Motorsports Photography Motorsport Lens | Other Photography AaronKupferman.com

Liked
    97 times

What's with the Camaro taillights on the Subaru?

Oddly enough that style looks better on it than on the Chevy. I've always hated those modern square taillights on that big arse car.

Liked
    144 times

Just found this, the Toyota will be called the GT86. I think the Subi from the auto show is production ready minus the wing. Pics and video after the jump.
    Toyota GT 86 sports car revealed (w/ video)
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    97 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Se7en View Post
    Just found this, the Toyota will be called the GT86. I think the Subi from the auto show is production ready minus the wing. Pics and video after the jump.
    Toyota GT 86 sports car revealed (w/ video)
    101 in. width? Sign me up lol

+ Reply to Thread