+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Is it just me or is something off.....?

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by jrlz06 View Post
    Bill,

Didn't you run 1;56.xx at Thill over the crows nest shortly after getting that car and before doing anything to it. That right there was 5-6 seconds faster than the previous owner did at Thill in that config.
    Yeah, I putted it around T-hill with Flink right after I bought it. It was about 34 degrees and foggy and the track was damp and it did an easy 1:56.0 over the top on scrubs. It came with a built engine, but the funny thing is the cro-magnons at MCE dyno destroyed the engine on the dyno that day. They refused to turn on the radiator fans saying that the engine was too cold until Flink and I watched the radiator cap fly up to the ceiling and water boil out all over the place. After that I had water in my oil and the engine was done. Hence the swap to a stock LS6.

Oh well, I'm not worried about these guys. All the competition will be from SoCal and they WILL be as fast or faster than my car.

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    the cro-magnons at MCE dyno destroyed the engine on the dyno that day
    Evidence: Bill's new vette on the dyno - YouTube

Alas, I was too slow with the camera to catch the bit where a geyser of superheated water hit the shed ceiling like a firehose.

Liked
    2282 times

my advice:
    Since he is accusing of you cheating. You might as well and let him know what a cheater car should do: 1:45s
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 11-02-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post
    Evidence: Bill's new vette on the dyno - YouTube

Alas, I was too slow with the camera to catch the bit where a geyser of superheated water hit the shed ceiling like a firehose.
    At 39 seconds: "No boss, it still ain't hot yet".
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    my advice:
    Since he is accusing of you cheating. You might as well and let him know what a cheater car should do: 1:45s
    WTF? Didn't that just say 1:47? Cheater!
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2399 times

I didn't want to muddy up Tony's thread about the Miller test day and this thread looks more appropriate for the topic. To follow up, somebody is accusing me of cheating in my ST2 car. He races ITE and AV8SS in Norcal and I hope he doesn't find this site, because he will ruin it. I blocked my vids because I was getting tired of his BS accusations about how my car is making WAY more power than 366 whp. He used to race against the guy who I bought this car from and the previous owner was not a fast driver. So he assumes that since I'm running about 8 seconds faster now with less power that I must be cheating. He even called a guy I know who was at Thunderhill the day I had my car dynoed and ran the 1:50 lap (which isn't even that great) and was asking him about my car. My friend said the guy is convinced I have a switch in my dash that bumps my power up to 440 whp . I guess I must have nitrous in my fire bottle because I don't know how to get a stock ls6 over 385 whp even in my T1 car running race gas and no restrictor! What a douche. It sounds like he's going to run ST2 in Norcal next year which is why he has a sudden interest in my car.
    It's flattering to have guys accuse me of cheating. One of these days I'm going to offer to trade cars with one of them for a weekend. Nationals was hilarious. I'm the only Miata in an S2000 dominated class and I lower the race lap record by 2.5s? Clearly I was cheating. I had more on and offline comments suggesting we were bent for that one weekend than my entire 20 yr racing history combined.

I did manage to get a rule changed 2 weeks later as a result of our teams clever (and pre-approved offline by NASA) use of the classing structure. Apparently others had used the same trick before but never done so well at nationals with it. Oops.

This all stems from racers, whether amateur or pro, believing that because their car slides around on their best laps then they must be driving as fast as it will go. What most drivers don't understand is that they are merely at their limits, not the cars. If you beat them, it is assumed that they are driving just "as hard" as you are and their car is legal ergo, you must be cheating.

Most club racers have .5s unused in their car just by staggering pressures on all 4 tires correctly for that session. That's the tip of the iceberg. Read the rulebook, set your car up and drive it better? Big cheater!
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Ha. I have an idea. At the first T-hill event next year, I'm going to run 1:55 laps during warm up and qual. He'll be thinking "I knew he was cheating!". Then during the race I'm going to pull up next to him on the straight and flip up the fan switch on my dash and start running 1:49's.
    That would be awesome.
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    142 times

Put an easy button on the dash.
    bellwilliam and redtopz like this.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    It's flattering to have guys accuse me of cheating. One of these days I'm going to offer to trade cars with one of them for a weekend. Nationals was hilarious. I'm the only Miata in an S2000 dominated class and I lower the race lap record by 2.5s? Clearly I was cheating. I had more on and offline comments suggesting we were bent for that one weekend than my entire 20 yr racing history combined.

I did manage to get a rule changed 2 weeks later as a result of our teams clever (and pre-approved offline by NASA) use of the classing structure. Apparently others had used the same trick before but never done so well at nationals with it. Oops.

This all stems from racers, whether amateur or pro, believing that because their car slides around on their best laps then they must be driving as fast as it will go. What most drivers don't understand is that they are merely at their limits, not the cars. If you beat them, it is assumed that they are driving just "as hard" as you are and their car is legal ergo, you must be cheating.

Most club racers have .5s unused in their car just by staggering pressures on all 4 tires correctly for that session. That's the tip of the iceberg. Read the rulebook, set your car up and drive it better? Big cheater!
    That's incredible how much you lowered the lap record there especially coming from across the country to a new track. What "trick" and rule change are you talking about?
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    981 times

I just discovered something pretty cool. I forgot I had video and data of my test day in the corvette when I first bought it. First I looked at the two videos side by side and even I thought it looked like I was cheating based on the video. It looks like I have the same horsepower now as when I bought the car even though it's about 60 hp less now. This morning I just compared the data from the before and after laps and it was pretty much what I expected except even more obvious. My corner exit speeds are so much higher now that even though my top speeds are slower I'm getting down the straight as fast or faster than before.

2010 (422 whp):
    Speed entering the front straight = 82 mph
    Speed at start/finish = 137 mph
    Difference = 55 mph

2012 (366 whp)
    Speed entering front straight = 92 mph
    Speed at start/finish = 129 mph
    Difference = 37 mph
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    1429 times

10mph faster exit speed. Daaaymn!

Liked
    434 times

Yup, definitely cheating.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

I don't know anything about your car or the rules in your class, but you are definitely moving at the speed of cheating! These videos are adding to my recent wanting of a c5.

Liked
    21 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post
    I don't know anything about your car or the rules in your class, but you are definitely moving at the speed of cheating! These videos are adding to my recent wanting of a c5.
    Nice, now show this to that non-believer. Really shows what a properly balanced, well setup, well driven car can do, as pointed out above by Emilio.
    Last edited by jrlz06; 11-03-2012 at 03:31 PM.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2399 times

That's incredible how much you lowered the lap record there especially coming from across the country to a new track. What "trick" and rule change are you talking about?
    We built a Mazdaspeed turbo Miata to get the Torsen and 6spd that come standard on the car, then took the turbo off to run lower power and less weight. As mentioned, we weren't the first to de-boost a car to get other standard goodies. Just the first to win nationals with one. The Mazdaspeed Miata got another 100# effective immediately.
    Last edited by emilio700; 11-04-2012 at 06:58 AM.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1429 times

We ran. Mazdaspeed turbo to get the Torsen and 6spd that come standard on the car, then took the turbo off to run lower power and less weigh. As mentioned, we weren't the first. Just the first to win nationals. The Mazdaspeed got another 100# effective immediately.
    ooh, that's a good one!

Liked
    2282 times

I built my new "Nemo" based on a 04 Mazdaspeed, at its first race ever at Buttonwillow 3 weeks ago. After my first practice (15min), Greg told me the decision to add 100LB.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 11-03-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    855 times

Mardikian's car sounds like an africanized bee on meth!
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 11-04-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    10mph faster exit speed. Daaaymn!
    Well, I was just feeling it out for the first time versus running time trials on stickers this year. But since the previous owner never even went sub-2 minutes at T-hill it's pretty clear his entry speeds had to be even slower than my test day. The guy accusing me of cheating says he "can tell our corner exit speeds are almost identical and I'm ONLY faster down the straights now". However, my data shows otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by jimt View Post
    Yup, definitely cheating.
    Nope, I'm saving that for next year.

We built a Mazdaspeed turbo Miata to get the Torsen and 6spd that come standard on the car, then took the turbo off to run lower power and less weight. As mentioned, we weren't the first to de-boost a car to get other standard goodies. Just the first to win nationals with one. The Mazdaspeed Miata got another 100# effective immediately.
    Nice! Using the rules to your advantage is smart. Luckily for me, the corvette is a great ST2 car out of the box and it doesn't take a genius to figure out how to make them fairly competitive.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    2282 times

To clarify. Even prior to NASA adding 100LB. There was already a roughly 100LB penalty for MSM. So it wasn't a free 6spees and Torsen upgrade. Now it is a 200LB penalty
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast