+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Richard EVO

Thread: Is it just me or...

Liked
    97 times

Default Is it just me or...

Do truck drivers purposefully blow-off when you're next to them with their turbo diesel blow-off valves?

I noticed it most when I had my convertible Miata, but even now I always hear it. Like they're not shifting up or down or anything but just letting off the gas as you're RIGHT next to them so that you can be annoyed... It doesn't hurt my ears but it's damn annoying, especially at slower city street speeds.

Anyone else notice this or am I on the sauce? WTF

Liked
    72 times

Yea, I guess it's a gay car thing. A guy in a huge truck was trolling me on the freeway to look cool in front of his buddy I guess. I'm going to skip the details in the middle.. but he who laughs last laughs hardest!

Liked
    977 times

Typically diesels don't have blow off valves as they have no throttle plate.

Liked
    97 times

Edit: by trucks I meant 18 wheelers and other tractors. Not lifted F350s.

Hakeem, good point? Never knew how diesels worked. Should read up... But so what, maybe they're playing with their air brake system?

It's annoyed me for a long time I finally remembered to post it.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    Edit: by trucks I meant 18 wheelers and other tractors. Not lifted F350s.

Hakeem, good point? Never knew how diesels worked. Should read up... But so what, maybe they're playing with their air brake system?

It's annoyed me for a long time I finally remembered to post it.
    Yes, there's a system commonly called a "Jacobs brake" or jake brake...it basically lets compressed air out of the cylinders to create a braking effect via the engine. You'll hear big rigs use this going down steep hills.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Yes, there's a system commonly called a "Jacobs brake" or jake brake...it basically lets compressed air out of the cylinders to create a braking effect via the engine. You'll hear big rigs use this going down steep hills.
    I think what he's hearing is the "pssst" they make while moving, not the "psssssssssshhhh" of the air brake or "trololololo" of the jake brake. IIRC the "pssst" might be the High/Low toggle switch that takes them up or down between a single pair of gears.

Liked
    97 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    I think what he's hearing is the "pssst" they make while moving, not the "psssssssssshhhh" of the air brake or "trololololo" of the jake brake. IIRC the "pssst" might be the High/Low toggle switch that takes them up or down between a single pair of gears.
    ^ This.. I can't believe no one has had a similar experience. It sounds just like a loud ricer blow-off valve, and it happens enough that I pay attention to it now and always think "trucks don't continually make that sound, but they tend to make it RIGHT when I pass right by them, what gives?"

I'm feeling a bit weird until someone can confirm that I'm not the only one lol..

Liked
    981 times

Air brake system blowing off excess pressure. Our trucks do it automatically and it's not driver controlled.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Liked
    1477 times

To OP: It's you.
    kornerz likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2165 times

My new RV/transport has a switch for the Jake Brake. If I leave it turn-on it constantly blows air when I go from pressing the accelerator to coasting. The Jake brake is pneumatically activated as are the axle brakes.

Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    72 times

Oh OK, I guess I'm the only that gets trolled by lifted trucks. Must be a ricer thing.

Liked
    142 times

Quote Originally Posted by cosmin View Post
    Oh OK, I guess I'm the only that gets trolled by lifted trucks. Must be a ricer thing.
    No I get it too, got fumigated by one last week. Drive a MINI.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Se7en View Post
    No I get it too, got fumigated by one last week. Drive a MINI.
    I learned about "smoke tunes" a couple weeks ago. I guess it's less funny when you're the victim of the guy turning his "dial a fart" knob.

Liked
    1486 times

Well there is this thing you can put in your modern diesel truck called a smoke switch. It does what diesels used to do which is make a bunch of smoke. Youngins don't know about this because you grew up in the era of pollution controls. Anyway, diesel truck drivers with this capability are pretty good at smoking out people who are driving slow on the freeway and plugging up traffic. An old diesel will smoke you just hitting the go pedal.

+ Reply to Thread