• 1 Post By Richard EVO
  • 3 Post By Joe jordan
  • 1 Post By Joe jordan
  • 1 Post By redtopz

Thread: Joey Jordan Spec Miata from last (21st) to 1st in 1 lap

Liked
    65 times

Default Joey Jordan Spec Miata from last (21st) to 1st in 1 lap

We had a problem with our car in qualifying so we had to start at the back of the Spec Miata Field at Thunderhills new 5 mile course. We borrowed a car and Joey started at the back...through a sea of mis shifts and screw ups and bold moves makes him come out of turn 6 in 3rd. He spends the rest of the lap passing the last 2 just before the stripe on the first lap.

I love it when he exits turn 6 and he yells for joy! Before the race he was tied in the Teen Mazda Challenge with David Dodge. Dodge starting 2nd and Joey starting 21st he did not think their was anyway he could be leading at the end of the race much less the first lap...Crazy stuff!

Olitho, Mr. T, redtopz and 2 others like this.

Liked
    226 times

That kid had one hell of a start! THen at about 1 minute he kept it together when a couple of cars got sideways, which was a great break too. Great drive!
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    2165 times

That video is a must for the Best Videos thread here on TrackHQ.
    F@ck likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1487 times

That's what I'm going to do at Runoffs
    Olitho and redtopz like this.

Liked
    641 times

Great driving!Thanks god the guy in front of him in the red miata(what a cliche ) was not Hamilton (at 2:00) and didnt take himself out just because he could
    Last edited by bawareca; 09-04-2014 at 09:33 PM.
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2284 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    That's what I'm going to do at Runoffs
    You gonna be racing a Miata at Runoffs ?
    Olitho likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1487 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    You gonna be racing a Miata at Runoffs ?
    No I'm driving a corvette at miata speeds at the runoffs starting from last...

Liked
    1477 times

Nice driving! But it looks kinda like an inverted grid to me. Joey looks like the best driver in the best car, he was just unfortunate to have to start at the back of the field. He made hay in the first lap . . .
    F@ck likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    366 times

I thought all the cars were the same - why does his look clearly more powerful?
    Do you understand?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    Because the equality of Spec Miatas is total BS. The more you spend, the faster car you get WITHIN the RULES.

You can spend $10,000 for a mid pack competitive car, or $30,000+ for a winning car. That the class is equal to all is total crap . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    65 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    If you watch closely at the start you can see a few contributing factors to make it appear this way. 1 a very slow 2nd gear start. Being at the back gave him a much longer run down the straight 2. Several missed 2-3 shifts that stack the field up. 3. Inexperienced drivers breaking way to early for 1st turn. 4. Luck. 5 when we looked at data and shared with many others the borrowed car was one of the slowest on the straight. All were within 3 mph. Ironically the fastest was the slowest qualifier. If you watch vs the 2 red cars the majority of time was made up from breaking to apex which translates to more momentum and straight line speed. The 2 cars on the front row mark Droenen and David dodge tangled at the bypass . This race win was the first win for this car after many had tried.
    bellwilliam, bawareca and Deepdish like this.

Liked
    65 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Because the equality of Spec Miatas is total BS. The more you spend, the faster car you get WITHIN the RULES.

You can spend $10,000 for a mid pack competitive car, or $30,000+ for a winning car. That the class is equal to all is total crap . . .
    Sheriff you crack me up.... We built our 1.6 from a 400 dollar lemons car. And won the scca majors championship with it. The nasa national champ built his own motor. Those that don't compete in spec Miata are always the experts! The class is not perfect but I'm pretty sure Joey could win with a 10k car or a 40k car...
    Red_5 likes this.

Liked
    981 times

He sure had a great start compared to everyone else; seemed like everyone else was asleep at the green. You can feel the adrenaline pumping after T6! I had to laugh when a whole line of cars drove off the exit of the bypass. Great lap and great job passing the 2 leaders at the end and the fact that it was a borrowed car is even more impressive. I saw the leader tapping his mirror like he wanted a bump draft but that was probably wishful thinking. I assume he went on to win the race?
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    115 times

Also incredible that the whole sequence is ONE LAP. I can't wait to get up to Thunderhill.

Liked
    375 times

Excellent video. What a great car to borrow.

+ Reply to Thread