Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By emilio700
  • 1 Post By Richard EVO

Thread: Jackson Racing & 949 Racing @ MRLS Sept 5-7

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2399 times

Default Jackson Racing & 949 Racing @ MRLS Sept 5-7

Jackson Racing Attending Miatas at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca | Jackson Racing

Follow the link for the full press release. We will also have two cars there with modified race versions of the new CARB legal Rotrex supercharger they are showcasing at the event. Our well know bright orange 95R, now renamed Deviate, will be one of the cars with a race modified version of the kit giving ride alongs. Price, specs, ETA are all TBD and I don't have that info yet (Blow up their phone). We will offer the kits when they hit the market, early next year I think. BTW, they already have the CARB EO

The Jackson have an NA6 set up as a daily driver also giving ride alongs. We purposely kept this car mild to more like a typical customer car. The Rotrex supercharger kit in it is pretty much what the production kit will be, it also has the only set of Tecnas currently in existence, stock sway bars and I think Dunlop DZ2's.

TrackHQ'ers that are attending, be sure to drop by our garages and get a ride in Deviate. 300whp Miatas are fun (and only a little scary).
    GreyFocus, bawareca and newold_m like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    103 times

look forward to seeing them in person

Liked
    704 times

Is there a preferable flywheel weight for Rotrex Miatas? I know I saw somewhere not to go too light with super chargers but Rotrex aren't typical.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1477 times

Do I understand correctly that Rotrex superchargers do not have intercoolers?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2399 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    Is there a preferable flywheel weight for Rotrex Miatas? I know I saw somewhere not to go too light with super chargers but Rotrex aren't typical.
    Mis-matched internet myth. Some hotside Roots type supercharged Miatas required two throttle bodies and were nearly impossible to get to idle correctly as a result. A common band-aid was a really heavy flywheel.
    Rotrex superchargers do not require a second throttle so they idle just like stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Do I understand correctly that Rotrex superchargers do not have intercoolers?
    Internet myth #2. Coldside Roots types superchargers have no place to put an intercooler so the have to use either extra gas, water or a laminova type air/water interccoler.

The Rotrex is just like a turbo but internally geared so it's very compact. No problem adding an traditional air/air intercooler or a air/water intercooler for that matter. The Jackson Racing Miata Rotrex kits are all intercooled and CARB legal.
    It sounds like they might be shipping by early next year.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    188 times

This may get me off the fence about attending... great news!

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
    Internet myth #2. Coldside Roots types superchargers have no place to put an intercooler so the have to use either extra gas, water or a laminova type air/water interccoler.

The Rotrex is just like a turbo but internally geared so it's very compact. No problem adding an traditional air/air intercooler or a air/water intercooler for that matter. The Jackson Racing Miata Rotrex kits are all intercooled and CARB legal.
    It sounds like they might be shipping by early next year.
    Myth No. 2 was propogated by William Bell within the last 2 years, who posted that the 949 Rotrex cars did not have intercoolers. Just askin' . . .

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    33 times

So looking forward to seeing these kits, I've been tossing the idea around of running one of these with some E85 for the fun car.
    Last edited by Lincoln Logs; 08-30-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Liked
    704 times

Myth No. 2 was propogated by William Bell within the last 2 years, who posted that the 949 Rotrex cars did not have intercoolers. Just askin' . . .
    More than 2 years ago William had a Rotrex running without an intercooler on his '99 Miata. I think that was a lower boost setup.

Liked
    2282 times

what are you guys talking about. I never said anything about Rotrex not having intercooler. mine (old Kraftwerks setup) ALWAYS had an intercooler. I had it ~6 years ago, and took off Rotrex about 4 years ago.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    704 times

^^I could swear when you first installed your Rotrex and ran at the first Miatas at MRLS you didn't have an intercooler. You would know better than me though.

Liked
    1477 times

^^I could swear when you first installed your Rotrex and ran at the first Miatas at MRLS you didn't have an intercooler. You would know better than me though.
    It was something William said that made me think no intercoolers. Since two of us who know him are confused, I think there is something to it.

Liked
    2282 times

Old Rotrex is made by Kraftwerks. It doesn't come with intercooler. It also is not CARB'ed

This new Rotrex is made by Jackson Racing. It comes with intercooler standard. It is CARB'ed
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Old Rotrex is made by Kraftwerks. It doesn't come with intercooler. It also is not CARB'ed

This new Rotrex is made by Jackson Racing. It comes with intercooler standard. It is CARB'ed
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Liked
    1477 times

What kind of rwhp/tq does the new Rotrex make in a standard 1.8?

Liked
    2399 times

"Price, specs, ETA are all TBD and I don't have that info yet (Blow up their phone). "

The post is not a product release. It is more just to let people know we and Jackson Racing will be at this event and giving rides in the R&D cars.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    704 times

Are you thinking about getting another Miata? Street car or race car?

Liked
    1477 times

Are you thinking about getting another Miata? Street car or race car?
    No, I'm virtually certain I will never own another Miata. Just asking idle questions to pass the time . . .

What I'm considering is how much longer I want to drive my originally purchased new 2006 EVO IX MR with 132,000 miles on it as a daily driver. Great car, but getting long in the tooth . . . Latest idea is new BMW M4 with manual gearbox for about $68,000-, or the fantasy of M6 Gran Coupe with manual and ceramic brakes ($130,000- according to BMW USA website you-build-it). But I doubt if I will buy either. The older I get, and the more money I have, the less I want to spend it. I'm turning into my Dad . . .
    F@ck likes this.

Liked
    1486 times

But I doubt if I will buy either. The older I get, and the more money I have, the less I want to spend it. I'm turning into my Dad . . .
    Hey Dad...spend the money now. You could kick the bucket any day now and it will have sucked to not enjoy it.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Hey Dad...spend the money now. You could kick the bucket any day now and it will have sucked to not enjoy it.
    And I could live to be 100 (probably not likely) and run out of money to live comfortably and independently, because I bought some silly, expensive Maserati or BMW M when I was 59 . . . I took my NSX out for a spin today -- hadn't driven it in way over a month. Battery was dead so I had to jump it with the Evo. I didn't even know where the battery was (behind the inflatable spare tire in the front trunk). Tires were low on air so I filled them up and drove for awhile to charge the battery. Car was filthy so I got a hand wash at a local car wash because it doesn't fit over their conveyer belt and there's no place to wash a car at my condo -- EXPENSIVE! Then went out for some lunch and beer. I don't need a fancy new European sedan. A little cosmetic work on my Evo IX and I'm fine with what I got.

+ Reply to Thread