+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Jack Olsen

Thread: To Jack Olsen from Sam Posey

Liked
    854 times

Default To Jack Olsen from Sam Posey

Porsche: A bitter bite with a satisfying aftertaste - as only the "one and only Posey" can express:

Sam Posey Doesn't Love the Porsche 911 - The Dissenter Speaks out About the Porsche 911 - Road & Track

Liked
    375 times

Thanks for that link. He's an articulate guy, and I agree with just about everything he says. I also like that in an article about how he doesn't like Porsche and the 911, he manages to say a lot of very nice things about both.

Except that they beat him at Le Mans.

The 917 is the stuff of legend -- I hope I get to drive one some day. But I don't think anyone would argue that it was also kind of a blunt tool. I did get to drive one of the later iterations of the 956/962, and I was really amazed at what a civil and easy-to-manage car it was on the track. It made my old 911 -- which does sometimes suddenly 'change lanes' if there are high enough winds in 8 and 9 at Willow -- seem kind of primitive by comparison.

I was thinking about this exact stuff earlier this morning, because -- and believe me, this doesn't happen every day, but here you go -- I was being interviewed for a 'German men's fashion and culture magazine' called L'Officiel Hommes. The interviewer wanted to know why I'd devoted 13 years of my life to this one car -- what was so great about it and why did it inspire so much of my devotion? I told her that the 911 has always been a flawed design, in terms of its conception. And that the early ones in particular have very crude suspension designs. And they were always underpowered. But the miracle of Porsche and the 911 has always been the way the engineers have been able to take that bad idea and turn it into a very quick car. 'The triumph of engineering over design' describes it very well. And I think it's that engineering spirit that draws me in -- I mean, isn't it more impressive to make a flawed design win races than it is to do the same thing with a car so perfect in its conception that there's nothing left to fix?

My car is a handful to drive in a lot of ways. No power anything. Semi-trailing arm rear suspension. Simple-as-the-freakin'-Stone-Age front end. Not a lot of grunt, even with my mid-90s engine in it.

But there's something about the whole package. It's possible the reason I love it is simply that I've got so much time in it already. But then, so does Porsche, hitting the 50-year mark now of perfecting every stupid piece of the thing, year after year, race after race.

I told her that I just can't imagine owning any other car.

Liked
    854 times

Good to see that Jack is now internationally recognized as an "official man". But I guess we always knew that.

+ Reply to Thread