+ Reply to Thread

Thread: j-damper

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

Default j-damper

this looks pretty interesting...

Penske Racing Shocks' technical director Jim Arentz said: "We are confident that the ingenuity of Cambridge now combined with Penske ... will promote greater exposure of the inerter in motor sport."
    driving cars n stuff....

Liked
    165 times

So what does it do?

Liked
    1 times

Dampens?
    "The crashes people remember, but drivers remember the near misses" -Mario Andretti

Liked
    0 times

it looks like its a twist on the mass damper that renault used with Alonso a few years back. Instead of using a vert motion though they use some kind of rotational motion.

Basically, from what I gather, and keeping in mind I'm an idiot, its a weight that is suspended between two or more springs with maybe some kind of damper system. When the nose of an F1 car vibrates up or down due to road imperfections, for example, the weight in combination with the spring help to keep the vibrations to a minimum or even cancel out the vibration.

The renault one moved vertically but was deemed illegal. I think b/c it moved the floor of the car or something.

Liked
    546 times

The J damper is a type of mass damper attached to the suspension, I believe.

The Renault style damper was banned because it was contained entirely within the car. The logical extension of that design would have been a type of twin chassis car where the "mass damper" would have included the cockpit and engine as the "floating" portion.

Steve

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Dampens?
    It makes stuff wet?

+ Reply to Thread