+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting valvetrain control and actuation system

Liked
    2243 times

Default Interesting valvetrain control and actuation system

I had been reading bits and pieces about the valvetrain in the Fiat 500, but never enough to give me a good idea how it worked. I finally happened upon who makes it and found a PDF explaining how it works. Pretty cool.

http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi.../pua_de_us.pdf

Here's a cool video:

http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi..._vid_mpeg4.mp4
    Attached Files

Liked
    855 times

I believe that hydraulics are also used in F1 valve trains - in lieu of springs.

Some "experts" also state that the "holy grail" is a hyper precise, cam-less, computer controlled, solenoid actuated valve system. Adequate electrical capacity has been the biggest constraint on this, but the evolving "KERS" type hybrid technology could help in this regard.

Liked
    2243 times

^^ Yes. We've been waiting for solenoids for a long time, but reliability is a key issue. The UniAir system is a pretty nifty compromise along the way.

Liked
    142 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    I believe that hydraulics are also used in F1 valve trains - in lieu of springs.

Some "experts" also state that the "holy grail" is a hyper precise, cam-less, computer controlled, solenoid actuated valve system. Adequate electrical capacity has been the biggest constraint on this, but the evolving "KERS" type hybrid technology could help in this regard.
    Actualy the valve springs in an F1 engine are pneumatic, there is a small gas bottle that is charged before each time the car goes out. I have to wonder if it's air or some other gas like helium. Up until this year the teams were using helium to run their wheel nut guns, small light molecule = fast.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    641 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    ^^ Yes. We've been waiting for solenoids for a long time, but reliability is a key issue. The UniAir system is a pretty nifty compromise along the way.
    Problem with the solenoid activated valves is the huge amount of current they demand and the subsequent huge amount of heat they create,and it has to be dissipated.Everything that needs a lot of current adds weight,and any cooling system adds weight as well.

+ Reply to Thread